Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
User Names?

Posted by la_jan (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 9:19

Interested in divulging your reason for the screen name your use? Thought I'd add the link from a previous post asking the same question.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/con0323191022038.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: User Names?

I love purple and lavender...and since lavender is also a plant, it seemed like a good idea for the garden forum. Lass just went well with lavender :)

o

We purchased last summer a MCM time capsule home built in 1959 by a well-known regional architect for his family. The home was declared eligible for state historical status a few months after we purchased it. That -- and our own love of history -- greatly influenced our renovations this past winter and spring of the main floor (kitchen, adjoining informal dining and guest bath.) Our challenge has been to update the house while retaining the home's unique spirit ("esprit").

o

I knew a wonderful man who was a neighbor and he was the only person I've ever known who shortened the name Priscilla to Prill. I always loved that he called me that.

o

My user name is the name of my son's faithful dog Phoggie, who was named for the long-time Kansas University basketball coach, Phog Allen.

o

"mtnredredux" is short for "Mountain Road Redux".

Mountain Road is our new address.

Redux is a post positive adjective meaning "brought back or restored".

o

I ALWAYS wondered what mtnrdredux meant. I figured out the "redux" part, but the first part had me bggld. Boggled. :o)

o

cat_mom = mommy to our cats!

o

We have a hard to pronounce last name so "Slush" is a family nickname, and the 1422 are DH and DFIL's birthdays. DH signed up for the account in '06 so I just kept his username when I took over with the GW addiction.

o

I'm a fan of the Florida Gators, and my name is Holly. Although the spelling was supposed to make the combination look more like the word "alligator," instead it just makes people conclude that my name is spelled "Holli." Oh well. :)

o

For me it is a tribute to my Dad and 2 brothers who have all recently passed away. We are Celtic and we are in the North East. Daideo - pronounced DAsoe, Gramps, was from county Cork, Ireland. Honest days work for an honest days pay - work hard and play hard. Ohhh and don't let me catch you doing anything you shouldn't be doing:) Hence the theme for my very unconventional kitchen. They all loved great food!

Family Crest. Not Boondock Saints worthy...but a wee bit scary. Nice thread, thanks.

Photobucket

o

My husband is a pilot. Whenever he leaves to fly, I tell him to "stay aloft" (don't crash!).

o

I think the below picture explains mine pretty well, as if there were doubts as to is meaning:

Big grins, facing front in LR (M&B)

o

Daki is the name of one of our cats. It's just a made-up word that sounded like a good name :).

o

My nickname for many years with a few friends in grade school was Breezy, a play on my first name Wendy which was often mispronounced as Windy.

o

My favorite food on earth:

o

CeltinNE, so sorry for your losses! That's too many in too short a time!

Breezy, my best friend's name is Wendy and when my daughter was three, she yelled, "Bye, Window!"

Mine is pretty straightforward...6 kids, one MIL, and now one niece temporarily.

o

uh, my user name was suggested by gardenweb. Shows how uncreative I am and why I need so much help with my house.

o

Kode has been my online gamer name for over 10 years. I usually make characters that can heal and I like simple names, thus Kode Blue was born. Its a gamer thing, what can I say? LOL

Now I just use Kode or some version of it for all my online activity.

o

I've been a redhead my entire life (unlike some that come & go on a whim). I used to hate that bright hair always standing out & getting attention, but came to grips with it in my maturity. "redhead" by itself was already taken -- by someone........

o

Mine is boring. My name and the first part of my last name. Guess I need to be more creative next time, lol. My old user name was dianahi from the beginning of my maiden name, so I went from hi to lo.....

o

Florantha is an actual person whom I encountered in my other life as a historical researcher. I just love her and her fabulous name!

Important disclaimer:
I here and before all readers apologize for any unfair associations which my postings may have made in your minds that might possibly besmirch her piety in your eyes or in the eyes of others worldwide over the Internet. (However, I will continue to unabashedly use her name without permission or guilt. She's dead, or at least she's dead unless I resurrect her true (virtuous) self for a modern audience, a task set before me by other good women of the past, mostly pious.)

Florantha was a particularly good woman about the kitchen and in the dining room. Her life was dedicated to serving others in one capacity or another. A woman to respect and one I use for a model!

o

Back in the days of CB radio's in cars and trucks, I was running the roads as a sales rep. Wizard was my "handle".
When I needed a name for GW, that was the first name I thought of and added my initials.

Nancy

o

Nini is the nickname that my mom has always called me, when my friends here heard her call me that the first time, they pounced on it. They call me "lil Nini." :) 804 is the house # of the new home we are currently building!

o

Not too creative, but my first name is Pamla and I live in Montana. No one ever spells my name right (thanks Mom!), so I usually shorten it to Pam.

o

When we moved to Ohio from California a few years ago, both my son's were called "Cali" by their new classmates. We thought it was cute, so we named our dog Cali. Problem is, it also stuck for one of the boys, so now I have two Cali's in my house!

o

Friend to the Earth... I have been environmentally friendly since I was very young. Doing my kitchen in an environmentally friendly manner was a very interesting process and it is so encouraging to see how many products are available to us. And it's my license plate!

Adorable picture, Beaglesdoitbetter :))

o

Circus Peanut......I knew I liked you!!! (I can't believe I've never thought of the candy when I read your name though.) One of my favorite birthday presents I ever received included a bag of circus peanuts from my nephew because he remembered hearing me say how much I love them.. (but only once in a blue moon.)

My name was inspired by cawfeegirl who posted her beautiful stained wood kitchen on here. My kitchen cabs are white with a brown glaze so it made me think of irish cream with coffee.

o

I love to bake...bread from grains and pretty much anything else...

o

Probably quite obvious - I love the color purple and love pansies. . . . and really LOVE purple-colored pansies!

o

I'm from TN (Chattanooga) but have lived in Ga since 1983, so consider myself an official Georgia "Peach" now.

o

Kinda boring and pretty much as it reads...mom to 3 living in N. California.

o

I cannot believe there are other adults (at least two now!) who like circus peanuts.

I am such a food snob, it is practically a handicap. I think fast food is toxin in a bag, and sit down "family restaurants' simply toxin on a plate. In broad swathes of the country, there is not a single spot i'd deign to eat in. I only buy organic meat and dairy, and most of my produce too. Whole Foods is not pure enough for me. And our bread is fresh, organic, in a bag, and never presliced.

What a PITA, eh?

Imagine then, my children's astonishment to find out I love circus peanuts, although they have never seen one outside of a supermarket aisle their whole lives, and i have no idea when I last ate one! I may have to get a bag now!

o

Oh, those look absolutely unappetizing! What do they taste like? I don't think I have ever even seen them IN a supermarket. Of course, I wasn't looking for them either, LOL! My weakness is Oreos!

o

I kinda dig the the circus peanuts too. So, that's 3 of us.

My name? Well, it's kind of obvious. I'm married to an apiarist. Ooooh, who just learned a new word? Yeah, fancy word for beekeeper. Just a hobby, only 1 hive.

Just spun out the honey, and he didn't steal as much this year as last year. Here's a photo of last year's haul:

Photobucket

o

They taste like ... sugar. I don't think there is any other flavor in them. It's about the texture. Sort of taffy meets marshmallow, with a bit of a crust.

Horrible, i know, indefensible. Must be some deeply repressed childhood issue with these things.

o

After we got an internet connection in our office in the 90's my boss and I were going to join a financial website so I made a list of screen names I thought would be fun, I picked ghostlyvision from the list (like cyberspace, it seemed sort of ethereal) and have used it everywhere online since. I used to addend all my posts with 'g/v' as a nod to a message board friend who passed away but once those boards closed down I've fallen out of that habit.

o
RE:re User Names?

sorry for hijacking ... but i did some research

i think the ones i had were banana (i know, peanut shaped, orange color, .... of course the flavor is banana!)

Here is a link that might be useful: in re circus peanut

o

Ava Doone is the name of my first dog while on my own. She's a bloodhound and german shepherd mix. She is 6 now but I know everyone loves a puppy picture! Go ahead and tell me how cute she is!

Photobucket

o
RE: re User Names?

omg, i am now obsessed with learning about CP and I find they are made with pork gelatin.

Soylent green is people!!

o

awwwwww avadoone!!!! So cute!

o

Sayde was my grandmother's name.

o

Never really got into CPs, but don't get me started about Peeps.... :)

o

My user name is what my father always called me, "Brenda June." No one else ever called me that. He passed away about 4 years ago and I miss him.

o

mcmesprit,

The easter bunny brings my children peeps every year; I think he secretly knows I'm the one that will eat them though.

o

I'm a percussionist, particularly of Middle Eastern drums. Darbuka is the
Hebrew word for doumbek, or goblet shaped drum.

This is fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Goblet drum: wiki

o

I love boxer puppies.

Photobucket

........and red wine but I felt foolish with a
screen name
lover of boxers and red wine.
~boxerpups

o

Used this name since 1988 when I had to come up with an 8 letter username for the Well (an early CA group). I had recently had problems with several computer mice and had also seen an Alaska movie in which the hero gets really hungry. It either strikes people as funny or just strange but it is memorable.

o

I am the type of person who puts a picture on a wall and leaves it there for 25 years. I never change ANYTHING in my house and I like to wear the same kinds of clothes as well.

Last year we started renovating kitchen and bathrooms and I had some questions for GW - sallysue is the name I imagined for someone who is "into" home interiors and renovating. It has been the biggest surprise of my life that I not only enjoyed the projects, I now enjoy looking at design in general. Knock me over with a feather - now I AM sallysue! Except for the jeans and t-shirts and Birkenstocks :)

o

Irishcreamgirl,

LOL... some years my kids never know the bunny TRIED to bring them Peeps.... terrible....

o

What a great thread! It is going to help me keep ya'll straight! My family goes to CapeCod every summer for vacation. We all fly/drive in from all over the place and spend a week together. Our first summer there was 2005, so I am Capegirl05! It is one of my favorite places on earth. If I win the lotto, I am buying a house there and hiring a KD to design it...LOL...who needs a KD when I have you guys :o)???

o

My name is many-fold- I love the beach pea flower that blooms as a "volunteer" on the path to the water from my house..Also I live on an island with beaches everywhere and my last name begins with "P"... - there were other beach-peas on Gardenweb so I had to take a number - 3 = which is the number of Labradoodle pups who live here too!

Also...LOL... My name is actually Wendy and like Breezygirl - it is often it was pronounced "Windy" - mostly by Southerners....so I can relate you Breezy!

o

MCMesprit---ever put a peep in the microwave? This is what happens on Easter when too many engineers are in one room...

o

Boring here, combo of parts of first and last names.

o

beekeeperswife,
LOL...I bet those beady painted eyes REALLY pop.

Peep trivia: until the early 70s, those little eye dots were painted on by hand by dozens of female assembly line workers... can you imagine?

o

Um, kind of boring. Name is Cinda. Short for Lucinda. Live in TX.

o

Oh mine is way boring -I can never come up with anything cute that I will remember once I have to login after awhile.
I'm Celine and Ike is part of our last name... Snore... :o)

o

First and part of last name here too.

Peeps? Circuspeanuts? You girls are too much. My kids have to beg me to buy Peeps for Easter because I hate them so, lol. But I have been known to steal the dark chocolate!

Boxerpups . . . I'm with you on the red wine.

Holligator I've always wondered about your name.

CeltinNE I'm sorry that you've had to suffer so much loss : ( "Ohhh and don't let me catch you doing anything you shouldn't be doing" lol . . . love that! Translation . . . it's okay as long as you don't get caught!

o

We live in the flight path of Canada geese, and get visited by dozens every year.

All my children earned their private pilots' licenses while in HS. When they started driving to the airstrip on their own, they were required to call and let me know when they were back on the ground. My youngest would always say, 'Baby Goose is on the roost!' I became Mama Goose.

o

CeltinNE and Brenjun - my name also harkens to my father, who I miss. He tied together the names of my kids into that screen name. I always use it now, always thinking of him. He was a computer guy and in some weird way the kids were "for" him too, so it's kind of a package I can't bring myself to change. I should for a lot of reasons, but using it is an homage to him. It doesn't really even mean much to me which is strange, no real identity-association for me. It's all about him. I think I would never have thought to string together the kids' names ... maybe fodder for the bad-mother department? Maybe it's a grandpa thing. sniff.

OK, circuspeanut -- I love your posts but I have to part company with you on that particular vice. Now, m&ms or fig newtons I can understand, even peeps though I don't share it. But circus peanuts is something I'm glad to know *someone* loves, since there has to be someone for everything! But _shudder_....

o

Liriodendron tulipifera is the Latin name of one of my favorite plants: the tulip or yellow poplar tree.

L.

o

My daughter was using AOL's IM when she was in college in 2001 and she wanted me to get an IM id also. I tried various versions of Kathryn's Ma, but all were taken. Finally added an H to the end of Katsma - my last name starts with H - and became Katsmah. I joined GW around that time.

o

Boring here also-my name is Lee and my favorite number is 4 (my math PhD. daughter wanted to know how or why I had a favorite number-I just do)

I save my calories for chocolate (okay and red wine).

o

Love the circuspeanut--while I was pregnant with our youngest son, we called him 'peanut' all the way through the 9 months because upon looking at the very first ultrasound DH said,'Look! He looks like a circus peanut!' + we just couldn't decide on a name. Even the baby shower cake read, "It's a...Peanut!"

My user name simply comes from why I hopped on GW--I was getting ready to build my dream home. DH questioned me tonight on why I haven't changed my username since we ended up having to bury the dream & go with Plan B--the house is somewhat similar at least. Only, there's no basement, no second story, I lost my study and guest room and dual master suites... So if anyone has any suggestions for a new name, I'm open to suggestions :-)

o

Hi Wendy Beachpea! Breezy was a sweet nickname to me, but I wasn't so keen on the name Stormy which is what they called me when they wanted to annoy me. You know... breezy can turn into a storm. Jeesh.

And I'm with Aliris on the circuspeanuts. No thank you.

o

I have been a runner since 1978. I had a friend introduce me to trailrunning in 1996 and I never looked back. Once I got out in the woods I felt I had found my own special place. It is my moving meditation....my serenity when all else is chaos.

I later added mt biking and then last year long distance bike touring but my first and most important place to be is on a trail. c

o

Love reading about your user names! I wished I picked a more clever name but mine is the first letter of my first name - Lori first two letters of my last name- Ryan. 511 is my birthday ( and the birthday of my brother- who was born on my first birthday. I always said he was my first birthday present and I couldn't return him :)

o

Mine is pretty self explanatory. I'm in the South (Atlanta) but I am also a "transplant" to the area, like so many others - so that is why I am a "New" Southern Belle. That, and plain SouthernBelle was taken.

o

la-jan,

Thanks for this post. It is so fun to see where and
what people are about. From dogs, to peanuts, to honey,
gator fan, birthdays, "sallysue" dream decorator,MCM,
mtnredredux, Lavenderlass, catmom, latin words, hebrew,
kid's names, goose (Not canadian geese they never
get it right unless the live near canada), beach,
family memories, dream houses, kitchen reno plans....

all this time I thought Wizard had to do with a genius designer.

Cinda: I thought had to do with cinderella,

CelticNE: Of course you are from County Cork Ireland.
Aliris: Wow, beautiful reason for your name.
Dia Linn! I am married to a Southie Boston Irish prince.

Floranta. I thought was YOUR real name,

Kode is healing? Lord I hope boxerpups is healing too,

Breezy, I just knew you were a wendy. I am not sure why
I just had this feeling. Maybe I knew you as a kid, I
called my pal Wendy, Windy all the time.

Phoggie: Phog Allen! Beautiful.

Raro: All this time I thought had to do with something rare. Like Rare Oh!

LRy511: Is very Clever!

Loving all your names. Now you have to show your weddding
gowns. Hee hee.
~boxerpups

o

From one of my favorite books/movies "A Room with a View"--because one should always have a view.

o

My name is Fiona and I'm 44. Haven't thought of circus peanuts since 1980.

o

I was born and raised in rural Tennessee. Need I say more? ;)

o

My first name begins with a C and my last name is the German word for 'fire'. (My husband likes to say that you should never shout out to us in a crowded German movie theater.)

For all you dog lovers, we have a sweet, faithful old fawn pug who keeps me company while I hang out on GW. And, Peeps remind me of my mother, whose preference is to let them sit out till they're hard before eating 'em! (She does the same with Circus Peanuts). I have never met anyone else who does this.

o

My name is Ginny, and I wish I were 20 years old. Or 44, like Fiona. But "20" is because the kitchen redo is my DH's gift to me for our 20th wedding anniversary, which was in June. The gift is that I get to pick everything. As Monk says, it's a gift... and a curse.

o

I am a confused girl from the South...how are you suppose to say "Wendy"? Now that I think about it, I pronounce it "windy"...
I give my dh a package of CP every year on his birthday (tradition) which was a few weeks ago. He loves them...I went to find his stash to try one (so I could give you all a review) and they were all gone....sorry. He says they taste like pure sugar...blaheech!

o

I needed an online alter ego so I stole Phoebe Buffay's (Friends). See attached compilation

Here is a link that might be useful: Regina Phalange via Phoebe Buffay

o

Regina Phalange - what a funny video!
My name needs no explanation.

o

Like honeychurch, my inspiration was a favorite book, "Vanity Fair". It seemed like a short, easy online name to remember when we first got internet service. But the similarity pretty much ends there : ).

o

Thank you Capegirl for asking that question. The whole time I have been reading this thread I have been trying to prounounce Wendy two different ways. I guess I have always said "Windy" as well but honestly I never knew there was another (correct) way to say it.

LOL, I completely forgot about Regina Phalange!

My username is a play on the obvious: louisianapurchase. I was born here and have lived here my entire life. This is my culture, my people, etc., etc. When I joined here, I made this my username b/c I thought I was about to embark on an immediate kitchen remodel and therefore go on a buying/purchasing frenzy. Four years later this still hasn't come to fruition! This however was already my ebay username prior to joining here (with a small addition) for the same reason: a Louisianan purchasing things.

Holligator...I knew you were a gator fan immediately when I saw you lived in FL a few years ago. So on that note I must say GEAUX TIGERS!....still love your house by the way and won't hold it against you.

Oh, and I think I just figured out the "Wendy" thing.

o

I miss Friends. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Regina Phalange!

I married into a family that quotes movies. Constantly. You may think you're having a normal conversation when in truth they are simply throwing movie quotes your way. Princess Bride was/is one of their favorites. We even had a borderline theme wedding (blushing as I admit this).

o

I'm a huge fan of Collective Soul to the point I travel around the country and neighoring countries to see them perform and I've lived in Rhode Island most of my life.

o

Our first boxer girl was named Stella. She was sweet, funny and always into trouble--Marley had nothing on her. We always referred to her as Miss Stella. When she developed cancer I did a lot of online research trying to find a way to save her and I used her name as my handle. It just stuck.

I still miss that dog.

o

Here's a cut and paste of the explanation I gave in the linked, older thread of a few years back:

Like many here,I am constantly initiating, and then struggling with, home improvement/interior design challenges. So, the "Martha" in my handle refers to Martha Stewart. But, the "Vila" part is not a misspelled reference to some lovely vacation home! In fact it's a reference to Bob Vila, the highly savvy general contractor who was the original host of the PBS show, "This Old House" (from 1979-1989). In short, as a lover of old houses (and an owner of century old townhouse in NYC), I think I ought to be a Martha Stewart and/or a Bob Vila. Hah! Still, here on the GW, I can fantasize about having the talents of both. So, when here, I get to be MarthaVila!

o

Well, I'm in the 'boring' category: Petra is my first name and 66 the year of birth.

o

Mine is rather plain and boring. I am rather petite hence little and Alexa is the short version of my first name. If only I was more creative with picking a screen name.

o

The great horned owls in the wetland next to my home were hooting up a storm when I decided to stop lurking and register.

Photobucket

o

Ack, mtnredux, "pork gelatin"?! (Begs the question: is it that much worse than the regular horse-hoof kind?)

But I'll stand by my hideously awful orange banana-flavored peanuts. I swear I'm a gourmet otherwise. Really. No, really.

And I too let my Peeps sit out for a week or so -- they're only good when they get that stale crunch to them. Mmmmm, Peeps. (Manufactured by Just Born, by the way, one of my favorite cognitive-dissonant marketing schemes.)

Here is a link that might be useful: taster's review of Circus Peanuts

o

I'm OK now!! I just stopped bouncing off the walls! I have never heard of a circus peanut in my life. Thought I was missing out on something. So, I was out doing errands and went into an old fashioned candy shoppe and purchased a bag. No offense to any CP lovers here BUT OMG!! major sugar rush ensued. Yikes!! Gag and spit and rinse and spew. Jeesh...Inconceivable...

Back on topic, thanks la jan, this is such a fun thread to see where everyone is coming from. So many great stories -some very funny some poignant but all very interesting. I'll have pictures in my head when I read your future posts of dogs and cats and bees and books, and food and...

o

I needed something I could remember easily ... first initial and last name!!

jody

o
RE: User Names? 1

Shoulda read that review 1st ;)

o

I'm borrrrinnnnggg....Briana Darnell is my maiden name. I just wish I could have been creative with my name hopefully you'll think my finished kitchen is a bit more creative :)

o

I have five dogs...and I do whatever they say.....or at least that's how it feels.

pup

o

RHome410 = Our Home for Ten (DH, our 8 kids, and me), which I was designing at the time I signed up on Gardenweb.

That's the first time I've read your explanation, MarthaVila...Love it!

o

Wendy is easy to pronounce. Just say the word "when" but omit the letter H. The vowel sound is the same as the word "wet". And don't feel bad, I could swear that DH still pronounces it as Windy sometimes and we've been together almost 20 years!

Boxer--no wonder I like you so much! Some sort of cosmic, cyber vibe.

Owls4me--what a beauty that creature is.

o

Mine is a tribute to my wonderful father, an organic crop farmer in Canada. He didn't have much of an education but he is a very wise man. We never called in a plumber, or an electrician, or a mechanic. He was all of those and almost completely self taught. I've married and moved to MI but I love going home to the farm and so do my husband and kids. :)

o

Back in the late 70's I was a truckdriver hauling steel with a Mack Truck, which I affectionately called the "Puppy Dog". One day I had to make a short trip of perhaps 4 or 5 hours so I decided to take my 4yr old daughter along for the ride. We came to a long hill and I had a very heavy load on, so while I was sitting there shuffling through two transmissions and 15 gears, barely making 35mph in the slow lane the cars were all passing on the left. MY daughter was watching the cars intently then she turned to me and said "Daddy, today you are a LazyPup" and here it is 35 years later and I am still the LazyPup...LOL

o

To correctly pronounce the name Wendy, I think it's actually a matter of differentiating the sounds between the short "e" sound, like in "pen" and the short "i" sound, like in "pin". Sometimes people with various accents pronounce both of those words very similarly, and anything with the short "e" will be pronounced with a short "i". So Wendy becomes Windy.
:o)

o

It's funny breezy that you gave that explanation of how to pronounce "Wendy" using "when". That is how I figured it out above when I said "I think I have got it figured out." But honestly, I just figured out that I don't say when, pen, etc. correctly.

It's definately a regional thing b/c no one I know from here pronounces the short "e" correctly. We all use the short "i" for the "e". I have never really thought about it until now, but now that I am thinking about it all of my friends from other parts of the country (north, east coast, and midwest) pronounce it with the short "e". I am definately going to have to pay attention to the "Wendys" commercial next time it comes on.

Marthavila....no idea. I always thought it was a tribute to your house with you being Martha.

WestleyandButtercup....my family is the same way. We all speak in movie quotes. My Dad is a continuous "Seinfeld" episode. Now that I think about it, it is no wonder that my youngest precious boy is autistic communicating only in movie quotes. He never had a chance!

o

What a fun thread! I originally joined the paint forum last year when redoing my son's bedroom. He started with wanting a deep blue and then decided he wanted a deep red and we didn't want it to wash out to pink. (We had heard horror stories). Hence the name colorfast.

I kept Colorfast when I started posting here. In fact it's kind of embarrassing: I had forgotten Gardenweb had a kitchen forum too, and googlesearched something and found it.

I did guess the source of Martha Vila's name, but I was sure breezy girl must be into sailboats, other watercraft,or waterskiing. Since she seems to live near the Puget Sound it seemed to fit....ah, well.

o

Lazypup- Love your story! So sweet!

o

Circus - my estimation of your taste in junk food may be in the drain but my appreciation for your taste in junk internet wacky sites is up there in the venting attic run. That was one funny post. I'm guessing there's more of the same in that site; can't wait.

....don't I have something better to be doing?! As if GWing it weren't enough now I'm off to read about bad candy????!

o

I used to have a different user name but remember a few months ago when GW just deleted a bunch of us for some reason - well the only way I could re-register was to use part of my e-mail address. So there it is.

And Breezy - must be a regional thing. You didn't have to explain to me how to pronounce your name. I was actually surprised that you had to explain it.

Lynn

o

It's the title of a medieval poem, and it's been one of my e-mail addies these many years. :)

o

My dad used to call me Lola B when I was a kid (my real name is Laura). But when I joined Garden web I didn't know if I could put a space in the middle of my user name so I ended up with lolab.

***sigh***

o

This is definitely a fun thread!

When my son was younger he was really into Pokemon and I liked the one character "Ninetales" (a fox with 9 tails) but believe it or not, it was taken!

I decided to mix two Pokemon characters together; Spinda and Skarmory and that's how my name was born. I don't even know how to pronounce it....is the emphasis on the "spin" or the "ory' part??? I guess it doesn't even matter does it?

Hey Petra, you wouldn't have a sister named Kirsti who did gymnastics and lived in upstate new york in the 70's did you? Petra is an unusual name....thought I'd ask....=)

o

Wendy, the "when" example doesn't help us southerners, because we pronounce that word the same as the word "win." The short "e" and "i" sounds are often pronounced the same in the south, especially when they are followed by a nasal sound, such as "m" or "n" ("pen" and "pin" are pronounced the same, too). As a reading specialist, I am forever working to help kids and teachers pronounce those two sounds differently, if only for the purposes of reading and spelling the words. I grew up in the south, myself, so I have the same difficulty and have to work hard to detect the difference and even harder to say them differently.

Hey, LouisianaPurchase, neaux tigers allowed in these parts! Seriously, though, the most fun I've ever had at an away game was at LSU. You people know how to tailgate better than anyone! :)

Thanks for the explanation, MarthaVila. Your name always had me wondering. Coincidentally, I know you'll be thrilled to learn that Bob Vila is a Florida Gator! :)

o

We have two black mini schnauzers and when my DH opens the door says either...'do I have puppies here?' or 'do I see two black noses?' I preferred using the name puppeez.

o

I love old houses, duh!

Actually I always wanted an old house and lived in a spacious modern home that I hated (too big, sterile and cold!). Once I ditched ex-DH, I bought myself my first old house and have become completely obsessed with updating while maintaining her integrity. Obsessed I say!! So, it's a love - hate- obsessed relationship between this gal and her old house.

o

So many users with the word "pup" in their name. Love it! :)

o

My nickname is "Mug " (as in mother, not someone who steals your purse, LOL). Anyway, besides kids, I have a wonderful poodle who is constantly by my side. Hence the name.

o

Like the other redhead on this board, the first part is pretty self-explanatory. I'm not really sure where "deluxe" came from . . . I don't know if it's ironic, or aspirational!

o

Hello, all. I haven't posted anything in a while, but thought I'd drop back in with an explanation here. The "mn" is simply because I'm in Minnesota (waving to Florantha).

My name is Regina, and some family members call me Reg. Many years ago, my sister had an email spellcheck that was never happy with Reg, and repeatedly insisted that she had meant to write "erg." Eventually she gave in and began her messages with "Hi, Erg."

I never gave much thought to how mnerg would sound, possible silent m and all. Next time I'll go for something more euphonious.

(I didn't even know you could still find circus peanuts!)

o

I've always been a huge dog lover and in the past volunteered at an animal rescue. I like to think I'm a proponent of responsible animal breeding. Hey mnerg-I'm from MN too!

o

What I think is interesting about the usernames is sometimes you can't tell the gender and through this I'm realizing people I thought were men are really women!

Rhome410 - I would have had no idea that is what your name meant, although now that you explain it, it is very obvious. Did the rest of you know she had 8 kids? Wow. And I can barely handle my two.

o

I am ready to abandon mine given the current negative attention associated with it, especially in Florida. But my name isn't actually "Kaycee" or any variation thereof. Its just my initials and I am in Florida (Orlando, actually). Not very creative, I'm afraid.

o

At home mom with a gaggle of kids. Mine and foster. I am pretty involved with school and activities to make there world fun and productive.I just got appointed as president and am trying to embrace my post. Caring for kids is a passion of mine. Making things pretty and neat is the other. Counterintuitive? Yes, often. Being a stay-home mom gives me a lot of time to think of new projects. Gardenweb, somedays, is the only adult interaction I get!

o

I wish I had chosen a different username, because it makes it difficult finding my own messages in GW (everybody dreams of kitchens it seems), but, for the last year I have had the tune to

I am dreaming of a white kitchen....

stack in my head...

o

Being a beach lover from way back, when I first tried to get a screen name, in 1995!, from AOL, I went through all the usual "beachy" names, but they were all taken. Sandesurf was the first one they allowed me to use, and it's just stuck. I spelled it with an "e" because it's the first letter in my name (Elena).

o

Mine is boring too, and quite obvious. We live half the year in Montana and half in the Pacific NW. Oh well, even if the screen name is boring, our lives certainly aren't, and I'd rather have it that way than the reverse!

o

I'm in the "Boring" crowd, too ;) Mine is my initials and the state that I live in.

regina_phelange, the first time I saw your name pop up I died laughing. There is another GWer that has a a Beastie Boys lyric as their login that struck me as genius also (of course, my feeble brain can't think of the name right now).

o

Mine is just part of my name. My mother always told me she picked it out so I could drop my last name and go by this when I "become famous." That's yet to happen :)

o

@ Spinory: Sorry to disappoint you, I am from The Netherlands originally and now live in southern Spain. No NY connection at all.

o

Amela is what my Dad called me when he was in a very good mood. Amazing how much we all have in common, linked by our user names. I'm a UF Gator, living in CA, love CP and had a Peep birthday cake for years living in the South and my very favorite movie is Princess Bride. PN to Brenjun, I miss my Dad, too.

o

Mine is due to a lack of imagination. I like to garden (flowers) and I live in CO.

I also love circus peanuts, but have not had any in years--and not sure I want them if they have pork gelatin (although nobody would ever think they were a health food even without that tidbit). I've never liked peeps, but leave mini marshmellows out to slightly harden before munching.

o

Such a fun thread! I get to vote on circus peanuts (you're either a hell yes or a hell no, and I'ma yes!), wink at my children for watching lots of Peter Pan (whan-dee), and admit that my screen name hails from exactly where I am in life. No great mystery :)

o

Between work and a return to school, I've read more than I post. This has been one of the most fun and interesting threads.

Beekeeperswife - all of that honey from only ONE hive - that's seems like so much.

My screenname is ae2ga because my name is Angela Evette and I am moving from SoCal to Decatur, GA. It's kind of weird to live here when my house is there. Another year, and I'm out of here for good.

I'm definitely no, a thousand times no on the circus peanuts, but if you want to talk mounds...

o

Easy one... I know I'm going to get there sometime!

o

OT waving to the other Minnesotians. Hope you've avoided storm damage. Enjoy today. Prepare for heat coming soon to a kitchen near you.

o

hsw_sc - I love me some beastie boys ;)!

o

I was born a farmgirl in Kentucky. And you can take the girl off the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the girl. Therefore.
Lynn

o

My name has sort of a two-fold meaning. It was one of my nicknames in HS (decades ago) and it came about because my Biology teacher could never pronounce my name correctly (always said it with a long "i" instead of an "e" sound) and some of the kids changed it to Vitamins. The name stuck for several years and I would get called by it whenever I came home from college. I hated it at the time (and still don't want to be called it IRL)!

The other meaning of the name, however, is in honor of my dear Mother who passed away last year at the age of 95. Though Mom virtually never took prescription medications, she took just about every vitamin and supplement known to man. She had a favorite health food store from the late 40's onward and just about single-handedly kept the guy in business. At 95 Mom's Blood Pressure, heart, and cholesterol were better than most 40-50 year-olds, and her memory was sharp as a tack. Was it the vitamins? Who knows? Perhaps it was really the chocolate (one of her biggest weaknesses)!! A favorite quote from her -- "Anything that tastes as good as chocolate must have something good for you in it."

As for Circus peanuts -- no way! It's real, live peanuts for me -- one of my biggest weaknesses. (I make my husband hide them from me, otherwise I will eat a whole bag in one evening.)

o

farmgirlinky....I always thought that is was farm girl inky, thinking maybe inky was a nickname. I had no idea it was in Kentucky.

Holligator mentioned not knowing how to get from the "i" sound to the "e" sound using the word "when" for us southerners. I mentioned above I actually figured it out from "when". I got there by trying to think of any words I knew that started with "w" using the "e" sound. It started with "where" and got me to "when". It is true what someone said uptop about the words ending in "m" or "n". I have never thought of all of this until this thread.

It is like how Canadians say "house". I love it, but for the life of me cannot make my mouth form the "ou" the way Canadians do.

It's amazing how our regions develop our pronunciations and mouth memory (I am sure that is not the correct phrase). People talk about accents all of the time, but I never really hear people speaking about how your mouth forms to pronounce words based on your locale. Unless this is your profession like holligator.

o
RE: User Names? Tailgating

Oh yeah, Holligator if you are ever crazy enough to come back for a game give me a shout out and we will definately hook up. Yase, tailgating here is absolutely the best, but I have had to learn how to control myself. I cannot focus on the game as is required of myself when my tailgating is out of control.

In fact, it was the Florida game in 2003 that ended my tailgating Extreme career. We lost simply b/c I wasn't prepared mentally and I had on the wrong underwear (but that is a different story and probably too much information!)

o

Ae2ga--Mounds? No, no...almond joy! Now we're talkin'! ;)

Holligator--interesting point about the pronunication of the vowels. I've been to the south twice, but was probably too hot and melty to hear how my name was being pronounced!

SouthernBelle--Rhome is amazing. Not only does she have 8 kids, but she also home schools, cooks and bakes everything, is planning two DD's summer weddings, and she blogs!

-Windy
(LOL!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhome's blog

o

Some of these threads are bringing a joyful tear to my eye and some are causing me to LMAO!

Tandem: My husband and I have a tandem bicycle and even tackled a self-guided of Sicily several years ago.

Cha: We live in Chattanooga, TN.

Shout out to peach32 and NewSouthernBelle!

o

Thanks for the cheering on, Breezy, but it's my life that is amazing,-- I am just a very normal, but very blessed person who gets to get up and live it everyday.

I seem to read people's names based on how I glance at it the first time, no matter how quickly or incorrectly. I will make pronouncable 'names' out of a string of letters, or do things like see "Farmgirlinky" and read it as Farm Girl Linky. Like LouisianaPurchase, but I added letters. There used to be a frequent poster name vwhippiechick, and I always read her name "VW Wippy chick."

I seem to almost always miss state abbreviations... as I read flowers_n_co as Flowers & company, and Mnerg as M'nurge.

o

LOL!! Sometimes Rhome and I are the same (rather than using the same reasoning to disagree). :) Even though I know to read more carefully, when the names go by I also think "Farm girl linky" and "VW whippy chick". :) And Sabjimata turns into Sabjaminta, for no good reason that I can think of. Though I always get Mountain Road Redux. :)

I don't have any interesting or touching story on mine, and if you don't have the right background it'll just make you say, "huh?" anyway. One person actually did get it (wouldn't expect more), but I think it also depends on the age of your eyes and quality of your screen. They're three lower case L's, not numeral 1's, though if you're thinking that one of the should be, you would necessarily be wrong...

o

I always think of farmgirlinky as farm girl linky too!

My husband brought me home some circus peanuts, because I mentioned this thread and how I've never tried them before.

They must be an acquired taste. Would anyone like to acquire my hardly touched bag of circus peanuts?

o

Mine is dumb. Can I change it? Lol. Joy just popped into my head when it was time to pick a name. I think I went for joyjoy (like Ren and Stimpy) but it was taken, so I added a third.

o

Ooops. Typo. That's "if you're thinking one of them should be, you wouldn't necessarily be wrong." I think my keyboard needs a new battery...

o

babushka was the name of my first cat that i adopted. i did not know what the word meant, just loved saying the word and the way it sounded. found out after i named him babushka meant grandmother in russian, LOL, never told him that!

he has since gone to cat heaven but i still love that dear boy. i now have a brother / sister duo shelter kitties and love them just as much. amazing how we can miss a loved one but open up the heart and love again.

o

Continuing the pet theme, my cat's name is Sochi. My family has always named my/our pets after geographic places (Tibet, Java, Quito, Petra) and Sochi is the name of a resort town on the Black Sea coast in Russia, and site of the next winter Olympics! My dear old Sochi is 17 now and moving slower, but as lovable and beautiful as ever.

_MG_1064

o

I guess mine is pretty obvious ... I'm Zac's Daddy! We adopted a beautiful baby boy just over 2 years ago and he is truly the greatest thing to have ever happened to me. He's totally amazing and I look forward to passing on my love of cooking to him -- or at least making sure he can feed himself as he grows!

o

I love the pet pictures! Now THAT would be a great thread if everyone posted pictures of their animals.

o

How I felt when I signed up, and still do. At least I know what TKO means :') Here's mine.
Photobucket

o

Add me to the boring category - my name is Rachel and I live in Michigan (but grew up in Atlanta).

In the past I was even more boring - first initial last name. My last name is unusual so I could get away with this, but I realized I may not want to include my uncommon last name in an online forum!

I've enjoyed reading this thread!

o

Sombreuil is an antique white rose. I'm a white guy who professionally works with old things; houses, musical instruments. (And I'm thorny) As for the Mongrel part, I like the juxtaposition, and that mutts are oft underestimated while being more hardy than purebreds. I also like french words with the -euil suffix and how nobody has a clue how to pronounce the word.
In my mind it's a jarring word-picture, and a semi-rhyming pronunciation. And if it comes across as strange, all the better.
Casey

o

Rhome...I always thought VW's name was whippy chick as well and until you explained your name several years ago I though it was pronounced Rome.

Plllog...Your name has always thrown me. I thought it was lowercase l's until the other day someone wrote it as ones and then I thought I had been wrong all of these years. I still for the life of me have no idea what it means a post awhile back led me to believe it had something to do with technology.

I have always thought lukkirish was lurk ish.

Most of us must have eyes that play tricks on us. In fact, I generally do not read the liturgy at church or sing out loud b/c I always have the letters and/or words completely turned around. By the end, I am sure people question my ability to read!

o

Since they announce the locations of Olympics so many years in advance, I think it's a good idea to choose these names for pets.

Pyeongchang!

david ro . wun . 1 .

o

I have been a professional color consultant for over 25 years. I've become known to my clients as the Color Lady.

o

Guess what I collect?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here