Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

Danby Calacatta Marble

blondelle
15 years ago

I'm surprised there isn't more talk on the board about this marble. There was so much on Misty Cararra, and the Okite Cararra, and other white marble substitutes. This is supposed to be stronger than the usual white marbles, denser, more etch resistant, and less porous so it won't stain as easily.

The veining patterns aren't quite as pretty as the other real marbles, but it still is very pretty and nicer than the engineered stones. It comes with brownish, greenish, and blue gray veining and slabs with little veining.

Would love to get more feedback on this. I know one gal used it, but anyone else use it? It's a great option for kitchen counters I think.

Comments (13)

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Danby has been used for about as long as the US has
    been in existance (or as soon as the stone cutters
    arrived and started quarrying ut out of the ground
    in New England)

It has had a resurgance in popularity lately, and will
    work in many applications. Honed is what a lot of
    folks are running with these days too......

kevin

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I also would love more info on this. I am planning on visiting a Danby stoneyard here (Vermont Quarries) some time soon. Any info would be great! I am also thinking of pairing this marble with a granite (possibly Tropical Green) with white cabinets...

• edlakin
    15 years ago

blondelle, misty carrera and okite are quartz (manufactured) surfaces designed to emulate the look of marble.

danby is an actual variety of naturally-occurring marble.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Edlakin. Yes, I'm aware of the difference. I was just wondering why there wasn't more talk on this real marble as there was on these engineered stones. Daby looks like a good substitute for those worried about the etching and staining of the classic marble countertops.

• jb1176
    15 years ago

Won't Danby marble etch just like any other marble? What's different about Danby other than the fact that it comes from the U.S.?

• karenyang
    15 years ago

I've found Danby (labeled as Danby) incredibly hard to find - I've phoned their regional and national distributors (and their office), and the best they can do is refer me to Home Depot, who then resells it in pre-determined thicknesses and edges (none of which work for me!) and under a brand name that I can't remember right now.

If anyone knows of a distributor of Danby in California, please post - I'm willing to go through some lengths to get the right marble, and I agree with the OP, this marble displays some characteristics that appear easier to work with in a busy home kitchen than its italian cousin.

• lissa711
    15 years ago

I recently installed Imperial Danby in my master bath and kitchen. I had originally picked out Calacatta Gold for my bath but the price was a budget breaker. The Imperial Danby gave me the browns and golds I was looking for but at a lower price.

I had originally planned to use Carrera in the kitchen but realized the browns of the Imperial Danby would look better with my cream and dark brown cabinets. The price was not much higher than the Carrera so I went with it.

I can't attest to the durability as we're not using either the kitchen or the bathroom yet. I'm hoping to be doing so soon though!

BTW-The marble in the kitchen is honed and in the bathroom is polished.

I'm sorry I can't help with a CA source as I'm in the metro NY area.

• iris16
    15 years ago

Lissa what a beautiful kitchen. I love the look! Do you have more pictures?

• lissa711
    15 years ago

Thanks Iris. The kitchen has been a long time in the making. Our 6 month building permit is due to expire in a week or two. Luckily we will be finishing up this week - all but the backsplash and some details in the butler's pantry anyway. They just did the floors over the weekend so some things are covered with plastic or pads for protection. Here are some photos of what we have right now.
    Some Details about the kitchen:
    Crystal custom cabinets with inset doors, country classic door style. Perimeter cabinets are Frost White with Van Dyke brown highlights. Island & butler's pantry are cherry with black highlights.
    Floors are varied width oak floors to match existing.
    Sink is Ticor SS508 (bought based on rave reviews from this site) So far I love the sink but have been unable to get the grid for it from Galaxy Tool Supply. I've been waiting 4 months for it at this point. Still holding out hope on receiving it.
    Range is Wolf 6 burner gas. Ovens are Thermador Professional Series electric. Fridge is 42" SZ side by side. Microwave is Sharp 24" drawer.

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

I considered the Danby marble for our kitchen and had a hard time finding it. When we did get to view slabs in person, they seemed to have some pretty serious fissures and the price was about three times the price of the carrara that we chose. The stone yard guy said the fabricator could work around the fissures and that we could just buy an extra slab to account for it. We walked away.

Lissa--your kitchen is lovely! Congrats.

• lissa711
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliment jaedwards. I found the danby was about 25% more than the carrara but the $ difference was only about $700 for the amount of marble I had. Based on this I decided it was worth it.

In terms of the fissures I also found a lot of the stone had numerous fissures. I actually thought I had picked out two slabs with no fissures but once installed I noticed a fissure in my butler's pantry. Rather than take it out and try again I'm leaving it and don't think I'll notice the fissure much. It doesn't show up in a photo as it's a white mark on the white marble.

• newkitchen10
    13 years ago

hi there...I know this is an old post but was searching danby marble and found it and love your kitchen. I was wondering how you are enjoying the imperial danby marble. We are looking right now for marble on our island and are concerned with all the talk of serious etching. Also, did you use limestone, honed granite or polished granite on the rest of the counters? How are you enjoying what you did? Could you possibly post pictures of the finished product. I love what you did and would love to see how you finished it! Thanks!!!