Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

uconnventional uses for pantry anyone?

illinigirl
10 years ago

Does anyone have a secondary use for their pantry aside from food/appliance storage?

Its looking like my plan will have a single window within the pantry itself. Its still plenty large (16 linear feet for shelving) but i am trying to figure out a creative way to enjoy the window in there. Perhaps a seating space. Pantry will probably house my shredder and paper recycling.

Are there others out there using their pantries for more than food?

Comments (13)

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Perhaps you could put a desk in there for clutter hiding? I could see it as a nice mail sorting place.

Carol

• rosie
    10 years ago

That was basically my idea. One of my favorite pantries in a picture belongs to I think a professional cook in her home kitchen. It's pretty compact, but she fitted her "cooking" office in there too, and and one gets the feeling it's a very special, as well as intensely practical, space to her. No window, but the desk is built in to one side of the door, and a window cut-out above it has a view of the kitchen.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Check out nini804, she has a little office niche with window by her pantry. It's a great use of space and kind of 'hides' the pantry. If you google nini804 pantry + gardenweb it should come up. I asked her some specific questions about it and she posted a few pics for me. On my phone or I would find the link for you. Moving, no Internet, no fun, lol.

Sounds like a great idea. :)

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh thanks! because of square footage getting too big I had to nix the mini-office that I wanted in my laundry room.....but I think I can accomodate something that I need in the pantry space.

Just a place for mail, paper recycling and shredding, and perhaps some of the kids school paper 'to do' items (forms, permission slips, schedules, etc) and maybe even printer.

thanks! I'm still interested in hearing from others how they might use their pantries differently. :)

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

How about a cushy window seat and a small bookshelf? I always wanted a place to hide. Who'd ever look for you in the pantry?

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I had a friend that had a built-in desk for her laptop, phone chargers and cordless phone base. Along with grocery lists, coupons, mail, etc. I think her cookbooks were in there too.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

It may be a nice place to sit and look for recipes. I plan on having a quiet space for me next to my cookbooks to find and create recipes.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I don't have a photo, but a house we built in the early 80s had a darkroom adjacent to the laundry room. It was never used for that, so turned into a window-less pantry.

ETA: Pre-digital camera era.

This post was edited by linelle on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 14:00

• kompy
    10 years ago

About 12 years ago I designed a kitchen and walk-in pantry for a client who was building a new home. The walk-in pantry was huge, bigger than some people's regular kitchens. If I had to guess, it was about 11'x15'.

She wanted it designed as a Baker's Pantry.
    She loved to bake and wanted a space just to do that....so her regular kitchen looked clean all the time and was just for family meals.

This room had a double oven inside of it, a sink, DW and full size refrigerator/freezer. Basically, this lady had TWO kitchens. Working and Show! It turned out really nice. We did mostly open shelving held by brackets for easy seeing and retrieving. She also had a dropped down countertop with marble countertops throughout.

It was neat for someone that loves to bake that much.

No pictures....sorry.
    Kompy

• kompy
    10 years ago

For me? I love those "hidden pantries". I would So use that as my PANIC ROOM!

Here is a link that might be useful: Panic Room Pantries

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

I am back and attached the link in case you didn't find it and also thought it would be helpful to have on this thread. Finally - internet at the in-laws. I am going through some serious withdrawals and looking at gardenweb on my iphone is giving my eyes quite a workout!

Nini804's Pantry/Office

• aokat15
    10 years ago

Definitely search for willowdecor's pantry! It has a window with seating and a gorgeous butlers pantry look.

• home4all6
    10 years ago

I was just going to post that you should look at Willowdecor's butler's pantry--one of my absolute faves--but aokat15 beat me to it :)
    Her website is being flagged as malware right now on my computer, but here is another blogger's link and info about it

Here is a link that might be useful: willow decor butler pantry