Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbpag

Interesting Cultivate kitchen� calling steph2000

mpagmom (SW Ohio)
10 years ago

I kind of like cultivate.com. Sometimes it's just a Pottery Barn commercial and sometimes the focus is too heavy on wine country and sometimes the kitchens aren't as functional as they could be, but I usually see interesting kitchens that are a little different. I saw this kitchen and had to share it because the layout is very similar to the one steph2000 has been batting around. I especially wanted her to see the sink under a run of cabinets. I'll link to the entire post below so you can read about the amazing transformation.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago remodel on cultivate.com

Comments (9)

• kruegesm
    10 years ago

Very nice!!!!

• steph2000
    10 years ago

Yikes, I missed this! I just came across it because I was googling to look for a few kitchens that I forgot to save.

Thanks so much, mgagmom. The sink looks fine there - and I'd really like to go with an undermount. I just wonder how it functions?

We are still going back and forth about undermount vs apron - but have pretty much decided to go with a straight run of uppers the same height across the window BS. I like this chunky shelf, though. As you know, I love chunky...

I'll follow your link and check things out more thoroughly when I can get a minute.

I've made a serious mistake in not bookmarking/clipping some things lately and it is proving time-consuming!

PS - We are full demo mode. Plumbing inspection happened Wednesday. 6x9 feet of dirt left my kitchen floor today and went back into the foundation. Partner is replumbing the entire house while we are at it - and rewiring everything. So, it's going slow but it will be totally up to date when we are done. We have the bump out framed in and it's about 14" deep or so.

PPS - That means I have still a bit of time for my cabinet angst. But, time is running out on me and I am going to have to transition to decision-making mode from dream-making mode. Two-toned versus one-tone...fridge...tile...flooring...counters... ack...

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Ahem.

I have an undermount, apron sink. Kohler "Hawthorne" in (I can't spell this) Roussalin red. FWIW, the bowls are too small for a pasta pot (live and learn) but I absolutely love the red and how the sink is the correct depth now for my almost 5'3" height. i.e. it's lower and I LIKE it.

You wouldn't believe how the many tall people in my life tried to convince me it was too low and I'd hate it. (insert big snort here).

I love the gray brown of those Cultivate cabinets. I'm stripping some old ones now and creating an antiqued finish now, myself. Cool.

Can't wait to see your kitchen!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steph2000, I knew you would see it eventually. Great to hear that you're making progress!

I'm glad you're doing the bump out. Are you going to use the stone from the magazine kitchen you love? I really like that stone.

Since you love all things chunky, have you considered a quartz countertop (something like Caesarstone raven or whatever celeneike used or something that looks nice with your stone) with a mitered edge? I could really picture that in your kitchen. I also picture all white cabinets, probably because that's what you mostly do in your designs.

I'm sure it will all come together beautifully!

• steph2000
    10 years ago

For a while, I was really going for that stone bumpout and glass tile by the range. Now....I am back to waffling. I'm terrible. lol

Quartz is kind of at or near the top of my wishlist (see how wishywashy I am still??). Until I figure out cabinet finishes, I can't really figure that out. But, I like the clean, consistent look of some of those quartzes. And, some of them have "natural" tones I really like (cement, limestone, etc). I still like the idea of earthy if I can get it. A tame counter would also allow the option of having some fun with the counter-to-ceiling tile for the range hood nook, if I dare. lol

I'm also really drawn to linear counters, but I'm just not sure that works for us? I haven't totally ruled out the few corians I like (rain cloud, et at) that are linear'ish. I also see some cool quartzes that have these swirly lines through them. And...I haven't lost my love of quartzite - I'm just not sure the budget/project really fit it? I'm not feeling any granites so far... Soapstone is still on the table, too.

It didn't work out with the designer of that kitchen I hired. She's not a KD yet. She passed the dimensions on to the KD, who drafted up a kitchen that was wrong in every single dimension, i.e., made my ceilings taller, made the peninsula so long it cut off the entry to the kitchen and so deep it cut off the hallway access. On top of that, the quote for their frameless cabinets (low end, Katana, called their "IKEA competition" was $19,000... I'm like, um, IKEA would cost like $3500, I'm not think this is competitive... So, they gave me a refund.

I'm basically nowhere. The most I can say for myself is that:
    1 - I bought a range
    2 - I still love the light I picked out 2 years ago
    3 - I am almost done with a layout.
    4 - I found hardware I like

This in something like 2 years...lol!

My partner, though, is kicking it.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

CEFreeman - You have a red sink?? I gotta see it, is there a pic? That's such a commitment! I'm about 5'3" too, but it's funny you say it is low. Do apron sinks sit lower than regular undermounts?

I think I'd have to go stainless to make it work in here, but I'm still really on the fence about whether it would make a difference with the upper cabinets there. Do you have uppers over the sink? Do you think an apron sink would really make a difference with working at there with uppers?

I'm so stressed about these decisions. Ugh, I wish I had vision about what I was going for...

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I am short and oh how I love my apron front. You don't have to reach forward as you actually just belly-up to the sink. I don't get the back and neck strain that I used to get when I stand at the sink.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Apron sinks can sit on top of a counter top, just like a normal sink. Then, they're the same, normal depth.

An undermount sink, apron or normal, sits deeper because it's the depth of the counter lower. For me, that 1.5" makes a big difference.

I've shown my sink before, here, and the base still isn't finished (although I've got my drawer built). The faucet is a discontinued Cifial "Brunswick" which I dearly love. It's red, but not fire engine. It's a softer, enamel on cast iron red. But I'm always happy to show it off:

I actually have two of these sinks. This one sat on my garage floor for 3 years. The water softener froze and overflowed 2ce, causing rust on the bottom. I called Kohler to get a touch-up kit, when I found they weren't making the sink in this color anymore. Since they couldn't give me the kit, they sent me a whole new sink. Since this is an undermount and about 150 lbs, it's sitting in the barn. Because the bowls in this sink aren't big enough for a pasta pot, when I install my (future) soapstone counters, I'll probably replace it. Hopefully with something of this tone. I love it.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Steph,
    One of the blessings of taking a long time (I'm going on 6 years) for a reno, is that you have the opportunity to see how you like things and change your mind. No pressure.

One of the curses of taking a long time for a reno is you have the opportunity to see how you like things and change your mind. No pressure.

I've moved my cabinets around 10 times and still have redesign plans. Only thing not changing is the layout. I've moved my base MW cabinet 2ce and am planning to move the MW to a GE Spacesaver above the counter. Learned I hate bending down to get stuff out of the MW. And I"m SHORT!

See what I mean, bean?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida