Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian Statuary marble?

Posted by stacyc (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 9:03

My local stone fabricator showed my husband and I Asian Statuary marble this afternoon. I was told that it had all the beauty of Calacatta but at a lesser price point. I am only using it on my countertops, not on an island. There is very little info on this type of marble and when I went to another local store, I was told this marble was inferior in every way and that marble from China was nowhere near the quality of a true statuary marble. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian Statuary marble?

Did the other store tell you in what specific way it was inferior? If you can find out, maybe you can run it by Karin_mt, our resident geologist.

o

"marble from China was nowhere near the quality of a true statuary marble", then where did Chinese people get all type of gorgeous marbles for their beautiful structures built thousands years ago?

Often, even from same quarry, one could pick different grades of slabs, all depends on the prices.

o

I think that true statuary is really an awesome stone.
Even though the Chinese play the name game I have worked on good Chinese quality stones and bad ones.
If you like the stone you were showed take a sample home and test it. See how porous and soft it is.
For porosity just do the water test.
Do the same with a sample of statuary and make your comparisons.
Do you like it honed or polished-if polished it may etch like crazy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here