Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vampiressrn_gw

Do you have to have a full backsplash?

vampiressrn
13 years ago

I knew nothing about building a home when I had mine done. Luckily it was a great floor plan and the kitchen layout is very nice. The counter top is Corian with a 4 inch high backsplash. I have a long counter with a cooktop, which I know would prompt most people to add a full backsplash that goes up to the bottom of the cabinets...but is this always necessary? I know it is done to protect the wall, but seems to me it is mostly done for decor? Just wondering. :-)

Comments (17)

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

I don't think there's a real functional reason for the full tile (as opposed to the 4" counter material) backsplash. My mom has had wallpaper on hers for 40 years and it still looks great with the wipe of a damp sponge. The tile-to-the-counter look seems to have surged in the past 8 years or so. I love mine and it's true the tile is easy-care, especially behind the stove, but there is the matter of making sure you have the grout sealed well.

In short, I vote that it's just an aesthetic choice.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Nothing says you have to have a full tile backsplash. It's practical, because like you said, it's washable and durable. I have tile behind my stove, but beadboard around the rest. And now that I think about it, my grandmother and all her sisters never had tile.
    There are so many materials to use besides tile. Tin, SS, wallpaper, paint, etc...I guess it's simply a matter of taste, with the trend toward tile.

• denicast
    13 years ago

I had the same question as I am planning to have a 6 inch tile backsplash. When I look at pictures of kitchens all I see is full backsplash when it comes to tile. Since we are not doing a final, full renovation having a short backsplash gives us more options (ie. size of cabinets and window)when we do. When the tile arrives we will see how it looks. I guess if it is dorky looking we can get more tile (it is $10.00 a sheet). I will post pics when we are done.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I 've done kitchens with none, although the sink was at a counterheight window in one and the stove got a piece of glass behind it in one, and the homeowner keeps a decorative tray behind it in the other.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Huh? Functional? Of course, it's functional! I've splashed all over my backsplash!! I had a kitchen (work provided apt.--not my choice) with none at all and we just scrubbed the paint, but it's much easier cleaning the tile. Didn't do the paint any good, but no way we were leaving the crud.

• puppeez
    13 years ago

When my house was built 20+ yrs ago, the builder put in Corian counters with the 4" backsplash. I lived with it for many years, but tired of scrubbing & painting my messes off the backsplash. I finally had tile installed on that wall, from backsplash to cabs. The new kitchen will have tile all the way to the counter. Decorative? Yup, but highly functional. I'm way too messy of a cook, I think of it as a necessity. I have very little wall space on the other walls and will probably tile it to match, but I do like the look of Shelayne's. hmmmmm something to think about.

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is very helpful. I see so many beautiful full and partial back splashes, I just looked at my kitchen and wondered about adding something at least behind the stove. Since I am going with a diner look in there, it would probably be a diamond patterned steel sheet.

Shelayne...your kitchen is gorgeous, I love the colors and that tile is awesome!!!

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Behind the stove is a stainless steel backsplash. The rest of the kitchen is scenes of Tuscany. No tile.
    Shelayne, love the way yours looks!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Awww, thanks for the kind words. It was my design, but DH did all that finicky cutting. We set and grouted together. I guess that is what really makes it special to me, even though there were times I wanted to smack him with that tile. *grin*

• sammi06
    13 years ago

Shelayne, I love your counter tops. What do you have? I also love your backsplash.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I just went for a tile consult today and am in a daze from sticker shock. My initial choice of tile was almost $30 a sq foot. Now that may not be bad, but I was doing a full wall of tile on my sink wall (6 feet x 6 feet) and 2 - 17" x 36" backsplashes on my island, 1 on each side of the stove (am appreciating its high back with no backsplash needed now, lol). I am starting to think I may shorten my sink wall and have the tile stop below the open shelves instead of going almost to the ceiling. It sure would save a hunk of change!
    Of course, I would not dream of going with the almost $30 tile anyway as I am also tiling the kitchen floor, den floor and master bath floor. Doing approx 280 sq feet of floor tile is going to kill the bank acct before even worrying about the backsplash ticket. I had found bathroom tile for $12 a sq foot (marble basketweave) and I thought that was pricey. The tile person today says her store pays more than that for the same tile, so I guess that is a good price after all. So glad our master bath is modestly sized now, lol.
    BTW - shelayne, that tile is simply inspired! You make a very good case for a shorter backsplash, even if you don't need the savings ;) (which, of course, we certainly do!)

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Hi Sammi, I have blue pearl granite, and I absolutely love it! It is practically bulletproof and you cannot see the dirt on it, which can be a good thing and a not-so-good thing when you graze your hand over it and catch some dried ketchup. Not that that has happened to me or anything like that. *cough*

dianalo, not only is it short, it was cheap. It is plain ole Menard's tile, so I really stretched a buck. LOL. The field tile was 12 cents per tile, and the fancy schmancy ones were on clearance for $1.25 per 6" listello. The beaded liner was $1.98 per 8" section, and the chair rail was $1.79 per piece. See what I mean? El cheapo. I wanted Gramercy Park, I got Menard's. ;^)

• Gabriela Eisenberg
    last year

Any thoughts for a bathroom vanity backsplash?? 4” or 6” ? Quartz countertop . Wall to wall 98” vanity - backsplash would be on back wall and the two sides

• artemis_ma
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have never lived in a house with a backsplash. I wanted one here, but couldn't come up with one that would work. WI lived all my familial and home away lives (I am in my late 60;s) with painted sheetrock back splashes. Don't decide you HAVE to have one, unless you want to have one.

• Gabriela Eisenberg
    last year

Thank you. Yes, I feel it will save my painted wall - vanity butts against the wall. I just cannot decide if 4 or 6” ??

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

Why would you resurrect a 12-year old thread to ask an unrelated question? Start a new thread.