Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen cabinet marks help

Posted by rosemarynj (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 8:59

Hope someone can help me. I have maple kitchen cabinets (very light color) and they were installed in 2006. They are a China made cabinets. They have marks on them that look like tiny circles, drip marks etc on them esp. around handles but other places too. I have no idea how they got there. I bought Magic Cabinet and Wood Cleaner to try to get them off, but they are still on there. I don't want to replace the cabinets as they are not that old and I like the Caesar Stone tops. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these marks off and clean the cabinets? They are driving me crazy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitchen cabinet marks help

If you don't use a vent all the time when you cook, oil can settle as drip type marks on cabinets, especially if you do a lot of frying. Mineral spirits can break down oil and won't hurt the finish, it's flammable, and you want to be careful that you aren't using it near any flame, and open the windows while you're using it. I also use WD 40 to remove sticky stuff and oil, it might work if you have it available. If these products don't work, I'd try a water based product, like vinegar and water, with a soft cloth. Magic eraser is a great little product, but it shouldn't be used on a surface with a gloss, it leaves a dulling mark. One of my favorite cleaning products is steal wool, but it has to be the extra fine steal wool, I think 4 or 5 zeros are in the number and it's more of a polishing cloth than a scrubbing cloth, but it can be used with any of the above liquids without harming finish; don't use it dry. You can buy it at home improvement stores, not at the grocery store, that stuff is too harsh.

o

Can you post some pictures?

o

We had some marks on our bed headboard that looked similar to what you describe. I tried a bunch of things to get them off. My husband eventually tried Dawn dish detergent and that worked. Seems like it was oil (probably from hands touching it in our case - in a kitchen could be this near handles and/or cooking oils) and the Dawn took it off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here