Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Kitchen Design - Round One

moosemac
9 years ago

Hi All,
I'm in the design process to replace the original kitchen in a 1962 ranch. It is a challenge given the configuration of the kitchen. The kitchen is 9' x 28' with 2 walls of windows and 1/3 of the other long wall is a half wall i.e. not much wall space. Due to the construction of the home with multi level living areas and a roof that we cannot run a vent through, it has been daunting.

I had Hubby cut apart the existing cabinets and have been moving them around to different configurations for..get this 20 years LOL. Hence I have a pretty good idea what works for me given the limitation of the kitchen footprint.

All that being said, I would love your feedback. Below is round one design from the kitchen designer. Forgot to mention one more limitation...When the real estate market tanked back in 2009, I got a deal on and bought a full kitchen of cabinets still in the crates so I am trying to use as many of those cabinets as possible in this renovation. (Wellborn Lancaster/Hanover solid maple, full doors, soft close, full extension drawers and a cherry island which is now being used as the 2 lower cabinets between the Refrigerator and the double ovens. Finish is Divinity. Lastly the refrigerator was supposed to be counter depth in the plans so it won't stick out like on the plans.

Appliances are a 36" induction cooktop, wall vent hood, double convection ovens, speed oven, dishwasher, counter depth fridge and a 24" beverage center. I was looking at Jenn Air but am having trouble finding distributors other than Sears in our area. so am branching out to other manufacturers in that price/performance band. Appliances suggestions are welcomed keeping in mind no gas.

There is a doorway to the left of the fridge.

Comments (3)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Love the windows!

With no upper cabinets, where do you plan to put dishes, cups, glasses, silverware, pots and pans? Before my kitchen remodel, I took inventory of all my stuff, and figured out where things were going in the new kitchen. It really helped me with the planning to think "Where will I put potholders?", and find the most logical spot for them.

Your sink/cooktop wall cabinets look really chopped up - is that because you're using the cabinets you bought before? Other than the drawer stack under the cooktop, I'm not seeing any useful storage. It might be just the perspective, but the sink looks tiny - only about 18" wide, based on how it looks next to a 24" dishwasher.

I like the fridge/oven wall, though I much prefer drawers to doors. I'm not crazy about the legs on the peninsula - you should be able to support the overhang without them.

• moosemac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ann,
    I wished I had more upper cabinet space but alas I have no walls! The upper cabinet space in the design is more than I have now and I mange. I have a huge custom hutch in the dining room which I use for the items I use less frequently. The upper cabinets go all the way to the bottom of the cathedral ceiling beams (I own these already). It's so high that I'm thinking of installing a library ladder rather than have a stool. I think it will be more stable. Has anyone done this?

The sink wall cabinet layout is because the designer is trying to use the existing cabinets. The dishwasher is 24" but the design shows the sink wrong. The sink base is 33" which I already own.

LOL I'm not too crazy about the legs on the peninsula. I have them so the designer was trying to use them. I probably won't use them.

I appreciate the feedback. I think I will look into replacing some of the smaller cabinets with drawers. Depends on the budget...

Here are some of the cabinets I have:
    The two narrow cabinets on either side of the cooktop are spice racks. This is a huge help because I currently store my spices in an upper cabinet and they take up all three shelves! The door to the left of the sink is a double trash pullout. Corner cabinet by cooktop/peninsula area is a lazy susan. Open drawers to the left of the pantry. Small cabinet between right side spice pull out and trash pullout is tray/cookie sheet storage rack. Lower cherry cabinets between fridge and double ovens.

I am trying desperately to figure out where to put all my small appliances. I have a lot of them and use most of them regularly. I currently use a 48" bakers rack with 5 shelves but I store everything in their original boxes.

I really need the pantry space that is to the far right of the sink but I may change the cabinets and take the bottom i.e. split the area and put a pantry on top and make it for small appliance storage bottom.

I got an unbelievable deal on the cabinets I have. It made this project doable on my budget hence the reason I am trying to use as many as possible.

DD thinks we need a wine glass rack under one of the upper cabinets because we have wine often and she hates digging in the hutch for them. I don't want the clutter in the way of counter top work space. I can see this area as my staging zone for entertaining. Thoughts?

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

What's to the right of the dishwasher?

I like the storage to the left of the fridge. How deep is it? I would think that would be a decent spot for wine glasses, but I don't know if it's any more convenient than the hutch you use now. That might be a great spot for your small appliances, if they would fit.

What do you plan to put in the lazy susan?

Many people use the space above the fridge for tray storage. Since you have that already, you might like my idea (especially since you have space above the fridge and ovens). It's essentially a drawer on its side, full extension. It's perfect for lightweight things like cereal, paper towels, etc, or for large items I use rarely (like a big stock pot).