Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junicb

RTA Inset Cabinets?

junicb
14 years ago

We just got a quote from Cabinetmaker's Choice (Conestoga) for RTA inset cabinets. I had only looked at full overlay and frameless before because it didn't even occur to me that I could buy and assemble my own inset cabinets (in my mind, inset is the realm of Crown Point and Kennebec).

Does anyone have experience assembling RTA insets? My partner is handy and has some woodworking experience, but I worry that for some reason inset would be a lot more finicky than overlays. If we are also finishing the cabinets ourselves, will the paint+inset combo give us an even bigger headache?

Thoughts? Inspiring photos?

Comments (6)

• want2bsure
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting Casey. Did you have to mortise the hinges or did Conestoga do it?
    Junicb, everything I've ever read about Conestoga has been positive. Unfortunately, threads get old and disappear...

• logansmum
    14 years ago

Junicb,

Would be very interested in the pricing you got on unfinished RTA inset cabs from Conestoga. I'm not far along enough in the layout to get a quote, but quite curious as to how it compares to other options. Do you mind sharing ballpark or comparing to other quotes you got?

Casey, your kitchen is beautiful. I had seen on other posts, but never realized you'ld DIY'ed the finish and the cabs. Lovely.
    I too have Crownpoint taste with an Ikea budget.

Best,
    Susan

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

I had to do the hinge mortising myself. The overlay base doors were ordered pre-bored for the euro-style hinges. I think if you wanted Euro-style hinges on the inset doors, they would bore them for you. Just not for butt hinges, because there is no standard in effect.

Casey

• junicb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Casey - woo! Your kitchen is beautiful! I like the combo of inset and full overlay. Was that for additional space in the base cabinets or just a design preference? How did you finish the insides of the cabinets?

Maybe I could pick your brain a little about the Conestoga ordering process if we get further along?

We had originally thought IKEA, given our tiny budget (and desire to DIY), but my partner was a little iffy on the particleboard and they didn't have a style that we loved. That led us to Scherr's, and then I just went nuts googling for other reputable RTA cabinet sources. I, too, had heard good things about Conestoga in general. Cabinetmaker's Choice responded to my e-mails promptly and sent me a quote within a day of my request.

We had Cabinetmaker's Choice give us quotes for 4 base cabs and three uppers with a few different finish choices. Our kitchen is small (9.5'x10.5'), so that's really all we have room for. The quote ranged from $1745 for unfinished paint-grade maple with a full overlay to $2400 for stained cherry, flush inset.

For comparison, Crown Point gave us a rough estimate of about $15k! The same layout with Scherr's was about $3k...

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Overlay base cabs was to facilitate the paneled DW.
    The cabinet insides came prefinished. It is birch plywood sprayed with catalyzed lacquer. I did the full-plywood upgrade, so I don't know what finish if any is on the other lower-cost materials.
    When you order finished doors, the lead time goes way up, so don't expect the same 2 1/2 week delivery time I got for unfinished. I think they promise 5-6 weeks.
    Casey