Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

My Danby Marble Tests...

blondelle
15 years ago

I must say this stuff in impressive. I had a sample of polished Imperial. First I dropped some balsamic vinegar on it and let it sit a bit. Rinsed it off and no etch. Then I let it sit overnight, and when I rinsed it there was very light etch. I could hardly see it even when the light was roight. No change in the surface feel, and it was much lighter than an etch would be on the Italian marble. Going to try both tonight to see the difference.

I also dropped some red Kool-Aid type drink mix on it. The powder form mixed with a touch of water to make a dense again paste. You all know how this stuff stains. I wiped it off after a minute or two, and with some slight scrubbing it came off. I then left it to sit for a few hours. Washing it off left a pink stain. Scrubbing lightly with a paste of Comet and water wouldn't take off the stain. I made a paste of some Comet and water again, but let it sit overnight, and I just rinsed it and the stain was completely gone. No trace of pink! I didn't notice any etching from the Comet either. They tell you to use this on the honed finished to clean and to remove etching. The totally honed finish looks so flat though.

Now I should state that all this was with NO SEALER on it. It should perform much better with sealer. So far, I'm really impressed. This is good stuff.

Next I'm going to try an edge chip test, and scratch test.

Comments (24)

• janefan
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for this--keep the test results coming, please! I'm going to look at stones tomorrow, with Danby on my mind.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Yes please keep us updated, I'll be following your experiments closely.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Blondelle-

Thanks for sharing your (to date) test results with everyone.

Danby it a tremendously rugged Marble that has been used
    for centuries in kitchen and food prep applications because
    of just the things you are seeing in your own performance
    tests. I think either Danby or Soapstone was probably
    the first domestically obtained Natural Stone to be used
    as a countertop material here in the then "Colonies".....

I have a theory because of this, that Danby is way more
    widely used on the east coast and eastern half of the US..
    Just a theory mind you, but I think it would also be interesting
    to see some demographics on where Danby is most popular.

Hopefully, My Brother Bill Vincent will chime in on this too,
    as he is in Maine, and would be (in my theory) in the heart
    of Danby & Soapstone country... I think that Bill's input,
    and VRJames, and Stonegirl's opinions and observations
    would also be extremely valuable to this particular
    discussion.......

Like erikanh said - please keep us all posted on how any
    other tests you do turn out.

thanks

kevin

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Kevin, how does Danby compare with Alabama marble in ruggedness?

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Writersblock:

To my knowledge, they are similar, but as I have not
    worked with Alabama personally, It's hard for me
    to give you a definitive answer on your question...

I had a client last week that had a job comming up that
    they were fabricating out of AW, and I looked at the slabs-
    they looked pretty good, and I would presume that the two
    would perform similarly.

Hopefully, VR James or Stonegirl or Bill Vincent or Maurizo Bertolli
    will chime in on this, as I would presume that they have worked
    with both, and can give you a more accurate assesment than
    I can... We don't have too much demand for Alabama White
    here in AZ.... :-(

kevin

• janefan
    15 years ago

I couldn't find this in a search on the topic, so I hope it's okay to ask here:

How is the heat resistance of Danby? Can you set a hot pot on it?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Thanks, kevin. Blondelle, I hope you don't consider this a threadjack, but I'm really interested in how the American marbles compare with each other. Ironically, although Alabama is right next door, I can find local suppliers of Danby but not AW.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure that you can get AW through G&L...
    I think that's where my client got their's last week

kevin

• alku05
    15 years ago

Blondelle, I know you've been searching for the perfect marble countertop for so long and have considered so many options, that I have my fingers crossed that this is THE one for you! Sounds like it coulbe be!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Thanks, kevin. I have another question so I'm going to start a new thread so as not to drag this one too far off-topic.

• vrjames
    15 years ago

the three main creamy looking domestics are equivalant in durability to the Italian marbles.
    Vermont-Alabama- Colorado are equivelant an durability to Calacatta-white Carrara - Statuary.

They all will etch, so should only be used in kitchens honed.

They will need to be resealed every 1 to 2 years, and might stain in some situations. sealed or not.

Blessings

• peggross1
    15 years ago

I thought some pictures of my island's Danby Marble might help make this thread more meaningful for those who might not know what it looks like yet. Pictures don't quite capture how dreamy and beautiful this stone is! We etched it quite easily, however, with a bottle of red wine that had a drip go down the side of the bottle after pouring. The drip made a ring that was there for about 30 seconds before I wiped it up. Oh well, it's like that first ding on a new car. I put it on my island knowing it'd get well used, LOL! No stain at all, btw, and of course we had it sealed.

• margieb2
    15 years ago

It looks positively scrumtious. Thanks for the photo!

• stonegirl
    15 years ago

Blondelle - you mentioned you have polished Danby and that you would try to seal the stone before attempting to test again.

By the results of your first tests (the pink stain test in particular) you have found that the stone is very, very dense. Sealing it will make no difference in the results of the tests. It will also make no difference in the vinegar test either, since etches are the result of a chemical reaction and not absorption.

Marble will etch whether it has been sealed or not.

It sounds like you will be happy with the marble, but I would still advise that you think of getting it honed, specifically for the etching issue.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Oh erika... wait and seek out the Danby. I love marble and love love love Danby marble. I'm hoping I can find it down here if Fla. when the time ever comes.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

remodelfla, I was looking at the Vermont Quarries site a few weeks ago and was interested to learn about all the different variations of Vermont Danby: Imperial, Royal, Olympian White. There is even a very dark green called Vermont Verde Cavendish which has a hardness of 107 compared with the Royal and Imperial which have hardness of 12.1 (whatever that means).

Do you know which of the Danby marbles you prefer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont Quarries

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Gee erika... I thought all Danby marble was the creamy color with the caramel and beige colors runnign through it. Looking at the site you linked I'd have to say Imperial and Royal are my first two pics then Calcutta, Montclair, and Olympian White. Man... I can't wait till I actually get to pick out slabs of anything! That and backsplashes... will be undoubtedly my favorite part. The layout thing just doesn't do it for me.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Me too I got sooo excited just looking at those gorgeous marble slabs today! I was very eager to plan my layout in the beginning, but now after countless iterations, my enthusiasm for the design process has definitely waned.

• ebrathedebra
    15 years ago

Smarge - your Danby Imperial is beautiful! If you don't mind me asking, what did you seal it with and how often have you done it? Anyone else out there with Danby marble - please chime in!

Thanks!

• peggross1
    15 years ago

Thank you, tantadoodles. I sealed it with "MB Stone Care MB-4 Stone and More Impregnator/Sealer" which is supposed to last 10 years according to the label. (The owner of the company is a guy named Maurizio, who is pretty much of a stone expert on the internet. He sure knows more than I!)

I have to say that since posting my picture, I have further etched the heck out of the island with plain water, tomato juice (wiped up without staining, but left an etch mark), etc. It is going to etch like crazy and I'm not worrying about it. All the marble in our house is etching from plain water droplets, and we have a water-softener and whole house filter!

I bought our Danby at Dente Trading Co., Inc. in NJ. they had both honed and polished and the honed was dull and pretty boring. The polishing really brings out the colorful swirls you see in my picture above.

Our fabricator (Globe) offered to do a lower polish level for the marble, to more closely match the duller sheen of the perimeter counters, which are Caesarstone Raven. (For those who don't know, the manmade quartz countertops have a less shiny polished finish than regularly polished granite and marble.)

Knowing what I know now, I'd still get the same marble, polished. Just know it won't look perfect or brand new for long.

Good luck with your decisions, everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Maurizio's Stone Care Site

• malhgold
    15 years ago

What are the biggest differences between Danby and Carrera, both in terms of looks and durability? Thanks!

• PRO
    Water's Edge Design
    7 months ago

Did you ever do a chip or scratch test??

• M Miller
    7 months ago

@Water's Edge Design it will be interesting to see if any on this thread respond to you, as they last commented 14 years ago.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm