Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Same fixture or different over sink?

Posted by cal_quail (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 8:39

For a task light over the kitchen sink, did/would you go the same as other recessed lighting? Something different?

When we were considering 6" recessed lights, I would have put 4" over sink to differentiate. But we're now going with 4". The plan is to put the same over the sink, but I'm second guessing it. 3"? Nickel trim rather than the white that the rest will get? Something different entirely?

We're installing 6 (I think) 4" recessed lights, 3 pendants over the island, and under cabinet lighting. Plus, one task light over the sink. The way I described it, those will each be a separate switch. The room is 13' x 17'. It's a 1947 ranch/MCM and the kitchen will be transitional I'd say (shaker, granite...)

Since this is more of an aesthetic/personal choice thing, I'm posting here rather than lighting. Thanks for your suggestions, experiences and potential pics.

Oh, and the sink/task light will be centered in front of a 52"w window and there's one of the recessed cans not terribly far away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Same fixture or different over sink?

I like pendants over my sink.

One of the first things I did in this house was buy a pendant and replaced the stupid mushroom cap white light fixture, likely original to 1979. :)

o
Light off

Gives a nice just right light. We leave it on during the evening even when no one is in the kitchen. We like the warmth it adds.

o

Nice. We thought that maybe the three pendants over the island might be too much and we might put one over the sink and two over the island, but laying it out, nah.

So as much as I always thought about a pendant over the sink, I think that would detract from the island pendants.

o

There will be pendants over my peninsula when we remove the mondo cabs too.

Never thought of not doing that? Lol

o

I have a peninsula with 3 pendants. I put the same pendant over the sink. I like how they look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here