Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Galley kitchen layout questions

Posted by smaloney (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 8:36

I've been on this site for more than 2 years, after first coming here for what I thought would be a quickie replacement of my galley kitchen. I received so much useful feedback on what may be the worst current kitchen layout in history then that I sort of gave up, and have mostly lurked since then while I played with my options. I'm back for more layout help now because the place is falling apart and my husband has given me an ultimatum to get this done.

Quick overview: we are a family of 4, everyone but me is very tall, I'm the only cook. The house is profoundly imperfect but it's in a great school district and easy commute to work so we are probably here for the duration. The house is in a crazy expensive area, and must have began as a small Cape or cottage in the 1950s which was expanded twice by the previous owners (first up and then back, with a divorce and remarriage in the process.) They replaced the kitchen in the process but didn't touch the layout and put in a low budget galley which is 7.5ft wide and almost 12ft long.

The kitchen has every possible constraint - it is on a slab and bounded at both ends by load-bearing walls. It can't be opened up length-wise b/c of a utility room next to it. I've literally played with every possibility, and at various points have had contractors give me hope that I could at least widen it, or use some of the utility space, etc. B/c of the HVAC, that seems impossible. I know that I could, in theory, trench the slab to move the sink, but I really hope to avoid that, both because of the expense (where I live even minor plumbing stuff tends to cost 4 figures) and the prospect of creating more issues in the process.

So the best it seems I can do is to widen the opening to a front 'breakfast' room. I don't have a huge budget so I'm trying to spend on layout/functional improvements vs. aesthetics. I have done a couple of layouts using Ikea cabinets, which is a distinct possibility; otherwise I'll use a different lower-end cabinet line (Cliq? Am Woodmark?) I'm trying to keep some eating/homework space in that breakfast room - we have a decent-sized dining room for real entertaining. I'd also love to keep a vintage daybedish sofa there, which was my grandmother's and sat in the kitchen of the house I grew up in. I had every talk that ever mattered sitting on that couch while my mother cooked, and the sofa just came to me after helping my father move out of his house of 45 years. So it means a lot, and it doesn't look too bad there either.

I've worked out a couple of different options, and I'd be grateful for any gut reactions. I kind of suspect the banquette option is best, but that would require me to find another place for the sofa, so I would love to see if I can work one of the other options. Appliances (all already purchased after long-time scoping of the Sears Outlet site) are a GE Caf� double oven range (with small oven on top), the GE Cafe hood , the taller KA CD fridge, and probably dishwasher drawers.

OK, now for some photos.
Current kitchen view:  photo IMG_1586_zps859e5870.jpg

View of 'breakfast room' from front door:
 photo IMG_1584_zpsecb22a5a.jpg

View of front door from kitchen (shows the sofa I'm trying to hang onto):
 photo IMG_1581_zpsb1786029.jpg

Living room (at other end of the kitchen):
 photo IMG_1588_zps3c9a44b9.jpg

Layout option with counterstools in breakfast room:
 photo Stoolslayoutoverhead_zpsf12de9f7.jpg

Layout option with peninsula seating:
 photo Peninsulaoverhead_zpsbe416d33.jpg

Layout with banquette seating:
 photo Banquetteoverhead_zpscc399fba.jpg

Current first floor layout (not all measurements perfect):
 photo houselayout_zpse518e13d.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Galley kitchen layout questions

7-1/2 width is unfortunate, but almost 12' long is doable. I'd try not to run the kitchen counter through the front room if at all possible since you say it is your entry, breakfast room, living area, etc. Plus, running up and down a longer counter on that wall won't make a better kitchen when you have enough work space where it is. You need more storage, right? How about

KITCHEN
1. Widen the doorway but do not extend counter beyond it.
2. Do the sink counter of #3.
3. The stove counter has room for good work space between stove and fridge, either of which could go more compact if desired and still be very functional.

FRONT ROOM
1. Move all the furniture out except the sofa, and drop-front desk perhaps.
2. Build in shallow, maybe 15" deep floor-to-ceiling pantry, cookware, and school stuff storage from the kitchen doorway to the front wall, wrapping it around the window. Design it to look good, unkitcheny.
3. Put an @4-1/2-foot in diameter, round dining/homework table in the middle of the room. Make it expandable for special projects.
4. Leave the wonderful old sofa on the front wall where it can become part of your childrens' memories too.
5. If you need more room for walking through, how about raising the sofa up to table-seat height by setting each leg on risers made for that purpose and then setting the table closer to it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here