Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teddas

Island with both granite and wood tops? PIcs??

teddas
15 years ago

I love love love a walnut top on my island but am unsure if it will work with my family. I do not want the endgrain style, however. I would love to see if anyone has incorporated both looks in the island or countertops in thier kitchen. Can you please post pictures if you can?

Thanks,

Comments (13)

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

lleet posted her finished kitchen recently. I think her island is marble not granite with butcherblock on the end. lleet's kitchen

Also you can try the FKB for mixed countertops.

Here is a link that might be useful: mixed countertops

• cleo07
    15 years ago

Here's mine but in soapstone and end grain maple block. It is almost the opposite of what you asked for but may help you:)

• teddas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both for posting, ir really does help with seeing others kitchens- we all get ideas that way! I actually love the maple block above!

• wascolette
    15 years ago

I had thought about doing this but our island ended up not being the right size to make it work. But love your island, Cleo.

Cleo, can you post a picture of your range backsplash up close? What a lovely kitchen!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Cleo, love your soapstone. What kind is it?

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Cleo, could you please tell me the dimensions of your island?

Thanks!

• dreedree
    15 years ago

I don't know if this counts, but we have granite on the island where the sink is, and then we have a cherry countertop also on the island but elevated higher than the granite and where we have 3 bar stools. I like granite, but did not want it where the breakast bar area was b/c I think granite is kind of hard and cold. For an eating area, we definitely prefer the warmth of wood. So the granite is on one level of the island and the cherry on another. Does this make sense? I don't know how to post a picture...

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I'm planning to have butcher block on one end of my island, and I may lower it a bit for more comfortable cutting and rolling.

Here are so photos from my inspiration file ... hope they help!

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• cleo07
    15 years ago

erikanh: My island is 8 x 3. The soapstone is 6 feet and the block is 2 feet. I have an Advantium, compactor, sink base and butcher block island in there. It is little big for my space, somewhat of a barrier island but it works for me.

pluckymama: It is Santa Rita soapstone; a very soft stone but with prominent caramel veining and a deep charcoal color (when oiled). If you like patina and would like it to develop fast, this is the stone for you. It also requires oiling every 6-8 weeks since it is not an attractive stone in its unoiled state.

wascolette: I don't have a great closeup but this is a little closer. It is a tumbled marble mosaic by www.custommosaicdesign.com. Lauren is a local artist in southern New Jersey who also travels.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

erikanh, those are some really wonderful inspiration pics. I love your taste. Thanks for sharing. We're both in NH too!

• oofasis
    15 years ago

Cleo, your range backsplash is the most gorgeous mosaic I've ever seen. Not at all contrived, as so many are, or trying to make a (loud) statement, but serene and elegant and so artistic in the details. It's wonderful.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Cleo, that mosaic is so beautiful! How long did it take her to create that?

pluckymama, so nice to meet another Granite Stater on this forum! Are you planning to attend the Boston area get-together?

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

erikanh, I am hoping to. It will be great to meet another GWeber from the Granite State plus all the lovely folks from the Boston area.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm