Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fouramblues

A little bit of piece in my in-progress kitchen (pic)

fouramblues
11 years ago

We kicked the GC out yesterday. He and his crew do wonderful (if SLOOOOOW) work, but we simply ran out of money. So the rest is up to us. There's a TON of stuff to do still, but it doesn't matter, because today is the first day that the house really feels like it belongs to us.

The little one woke me up at 5:30 this morning, and I couldn't get back to sleep. But not because I forgot to put a piece of filler in a crucial spot in the cabinets, and not because the GC put the exterior lights so low that the door bangs into them, or any of the other reasons I haven't slept properly in 4 months. I couldn't sleep because it's like Christmas for me today -- a whole new kitchen waiting downstairs for me:

So I came downstairs and had two cups of tea all by myself, and I feel (finally!) very peaceful. :)

Comments (23)

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know I'm foggy from lack of sleep: I meant to write "peace"! ;)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Isn't that gorgeous!

I like the layout a lot.
    I also like your cute little pendants.

I understand and hope you enjoy every accomplishment from now on, that is truly yours.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I would love some of the details when you have time to share them. Your floor is lovely. The overall feel is so very pleasing too. You made good choices. It would be a great place to have tea! Enjoy!

• nineteenoeight
    11 years ago

Looks like a wonderful place to feel at peace! Enjoy all the small tweaks and finishing up you'll be doing. Bravo, looks lovely.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! I can see why you're at "piece" :)

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Once I figure out where everything goes, there will be less counter clutter. :)

tea4all, this isn't an official kitchen "reveal", so I won't put all the details in, but here are the main things you can see from the photo: Plyboo Havana strand bamboo flooring, Starmark cabinets, Windsor windows, Pottery Barn Barnard pendants, and EcoSmart 4" LEDs for the recessed lights.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha ha, chiefy76! That probably was a Freudian slip, since my life has felt very fragmented since the reno started!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

best of luck to you on the finishing touches to your kitchen! it is looking great already. i cannot wait for the final reveal and details!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It looks great. Not much more to finish; enjoy putting your touch on it.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Nothing like a manly man free zone at 5:30 in the morning!!! Looks gorgeous! Enjoy not having strange men in the house. The other things will get done eventually : )) A beautiful kitchen.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lots of finishing touches, but I'm looking forward to the process! (Even though I've already made finishing mistakes that the GC's crew never would have!)

Just for fun, another shot of my sweet range (Capital Precision) and my Wall o' Stainless, which turned out to be not nearly as overwhelming as I'd thought:

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Love your ceiling and the many cute personal touches you put in. Particularly the way you framed the vents up top for the frig/freezer and that awesome little alcove you have by the window. It'll get done... don't worry.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

remodelfla, I totally stole the frig/freezer framing from phorbin (see link below). Funny thing about the ceiling: we lowered the ceiling to 8' in the kitchen/dining room (except the coffered area) for several reasons. So we effectively ADDED A SOFFIT!!! Certainly not in keeping with conventional wisdom, but I like it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: phorbin's kitchen reveal

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Wow! It looks finished to me and GORGEOUS! Enjoy your first cup of tea and all the other culinary delights to soon come from your new kitchen.

I too am at the point where the kitchen looks done, but I still need paint, one cabinet hung, a bit of tile, and a million more finishing touches. Yet, having come so far, I just want to enjoy for a while before I make any more decisions and follow up with the plumber, electrian, inspector #26, 27 and 28 (LOL!), the tile guy, etc. I can't even say I'm ABBS yet, but I'm enjoying the progress and the change in this old house.

Your kitchen looks great! Enjoy!

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dilly, I'm excited for you that you're almost there too! SO nice to have a functional space finally, isn't it? Will you post pics, or are you waiting until you're ALL finished? In any case, congrats!

• maggie530
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! Can't wait to see your finished product. Love your ceiling :)

• andreak100
    11 years ago

fouramblues - looks very nice. Love the little splashes and hints of red that I'm noticing. I'm sure you are looking forward to everything being finished. Like your animal art next to the Wall o' Stainless too - out of curiosity, where did you get those?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Four-loving it!

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, maggie - I was a little worried about creating a soffit!

andrea, the pops of red will magically turn to orange (or blue?) once my rather orange island top is in, but thanks! :) My daughter drew the "meat art", as we call it, thanks for noticing! Funny, all along I thought I wanted a more contemporary space, but my selections have added up to "refined farmhouse", a descriptor coined by my daughter. I couldn't be happier!

a2 - thanks!! Can't wait until my backordered Buckingham is in! I'm bummed that the thing I chose first (last August!) has suddenly become popular and so unavailable temporarily. Oh well. This kitchen has taught me a thing or two about waiting...

• Susied3
    11 years ago

fouramblues, it's looking fantastic, well, it looks finished to me. :)
    What was your alcove before? And, what are you using it for now? Just curious as I have a space similar.
    I like how you separated the ref/freezer, it looks very nice.
    I know you're not ready for details, but do you mind telling your cabinet color if you know?

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Great kitchen. It's hard to put my finger on explaining this, but what I like is your sense of proportions: The different heights of the ceiling, the framing of the sink window with just the right size and distances of cabinets, the cosy feel of the nook window (as was pointed out already). Very natural. Everything belongs. Look forward to your finishes.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

susied, here's a closer pic of my alcove:

Doesn't look like much right now, but finishing the walnut top will make all the difference, I think. Before it was part of the dining room, and now it's my command central. The old layout is in the thread below.

The perimeter cabinet color is a Starmark tinted varnish called "ivory cream", but I think that's a bad description. It's more of a pale putty, with a slight green undertone, than ivory or cream.

colorfast, thanks for the very kind words! But I can take no credit for the way the bones of the kitchen came together. GW helped me with appliance/sink placement and zones, and the architect did the rest. I got to pick the paint color. :)

Speaking of which, I'm just about to run to the paint store. DH took the day off to paint, so I'm getting the supplies. Can't wait to see the space with a little more color!

Here is a link that might be useful: My first kitchen post

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Four - bummer that it is on back order. We must have gotten our Buckingham just in time - but maybe it was ours that caused the backlog - remember, the first slabs avalanched, so they had to snag more to template.....

Hang in there - I almost ordered my back splash today - so close - I called but the tile manager wasn't working today.

DId order our sun room table today - but have to let them know the final color, so making progress.