Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Upper cabinet storage/pull out - WWYD?

oldbat2be
11 years ago

In our mud room, I installed a 25" deep upper cabinet. Goal was for storage for the misc. things which we use / carry in and out of the house. Hats, gloves, coats, sports equipment, dog leash.... Typically though, it's held paint cans, painting equipment, various tools.... and CLUTTER. It's too deep for me to reach into as well, so things end up along the front of the shelves.

I was thinking of putting some sort of deep pull outs, with doors on the front, and wire shelves, to take advantage of the deep space (and also to tidy up the area).

Lower cabinet is meant to hold two hockey bags, and space on the left is for lax/hockey etc. sticks.

We have two Rev-A-Shelf pullouts in the kitchen but honestly, I find them sort of jerky feeling (as compared to the Blum hardware on our other drawers). Is there a multi tiered unit I can mount on Blum drawer glides?

What are your thoughts for the area? After I pick the backsplash (pantry adjoins the mud room), we'll tile the floor and adjacent room. But aside from that, I have no ideas; just know it needs a lot. Note there are three doorways - door is to the garage, one doorway to the pantry and then kitchen, other doorway into the fireroom/dogroom.

As always, your thoughts, suggestions and advice very much appreciated. Best, oldbat2be

From the pantry looking in:

Left corner for hockey sticks

From fireroom/dogroom looking towards garage door:

Same view, looking to the right at pantry door:

Ack! Please ignore the mess. (Anyone want a hafele trash pullout? I didn't like these either). Looking into the fireroom/dogroom:

Comments (14)

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Oldbat (I doubt that name fits!!)- we use shallow baskets that people can easily pull out to access the contents. It works well and for some reason I clean them out more frequently than I would the dark recesses of a shelf.

OT question- what is the beautiful paint color?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks secondhalf, hadn't thought of baskets here.

Paint is BM Aura - Vancouver Day, we used it throughout and really like it.

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Oldbat (I doubt that name fits!!)- we use shallow baskets that people can easily pull out to access the contents. It works well and for some reason I clean them out more frequently than I would the dark recesses of a shelf.

OT question- what is the beautiful paint color?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I agree with baskets or bins as well. When something is overhead, you want to be able to lift it out and take it down so you can see inside. With pull outs, you can't do that without a step stool.

We did something similar in our mud room with cubbies over the bench for hats and scarves and gloves and such.

• kashmi
    11 years ago

In recent updating of both kitchen and bath we purchased two brands of wire pullouts (since we did not replace our cabinets and they have doors instead of drawers). I agree that the Rev-a-Shelf versions are a little herky/jerky. But the ones from Lynk (purchased from Solutions, but BB&B also carries them) glide ever so smoothly. AND, they mount closer to the bottom of the cabinet, so you get more storage space. Rev-a-Shelf offers more configurations, though.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

I wonder if you could look at some of the base cabinet, blind corner stuff? Would it help to replace the upper shelf with lazy susans on the middle shelf?

Would it help to replace the shelves with wire grid shelves?

I might choose to install wood rollouts on the bottom but still use the wood shelves on the top. I might put a step riser in the back, tho, so stuff couldn't go so far back - or if it is in the back, that its raised up and visible. Labeled baskets are a good idea too.

I think that if all three levels were pullouts, I'd need a ladder to even guess at what was on the top two shelves.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kashmi - belatedly, thanks for the info on Lynk pullouts.

bmorepanic - thanks too for the suggestions. I ended up going with baskets and now need to figure out some sort of labeling solution :)

From TheBasketLady -

• casaloma
    11 years ago

I have very similar baskets in my mudroom. We use the Pottery Barn Sabrina basket chalkboard labels on each one: gloves, hats, scarves, etc. They tie on with twine and you can change the contents with the seasons. HTH
    Pam

• sofla
    11 years ago

The paint color is lovely. How would you describe the color a blue or a gray? I'm looking for gray for my master bath reno to compliment statuary marble counters and white thasso marble half up the wall. It looks nice against your white wainscot.

• hags00
    11 years ago

My experience is that hockey bags are way too smelly to have in the house ;)

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hags00 - ha! True true but is it really fair to send them off at 5 AM with bags that are frozen?

casaloma - thanks, definitely helps, I will look into these. The other thing I am wondering about is a nice lining/inner material for these.

sofla, it's BM Aura Vancouver Day, and I've used in the kitchen area, main entrance and hallway. I almost have a hard time defining it as blue or grey. I think it acts more like a grey.

Here's the same color in the sunlight:

I know beekeeperswife has a wonderful grey which you might like to look at as well, I forget the name. Good luck!

• hags00
    11 years ago

You are a brave woman! I couldn't stand it! Hung out to dry in the garage until the temps were freezing and then down in the basement! Little guy trucking up and down the basement stairs with a big hockey bag!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I don't have a solution for you, but I'm in the same situation and am looking forward to the answer. Whatever you end up doing, post how it works for you.

Mine only has two shelves and I planned on putting canning stuff on the top shelf. But I don't know if that will work or not.

• annac54
    11 years ago

Now I see why you need a dogroom, you have German "Shedders" : ) I have them too. Lovely longcoat you have there.

Sorry, no suggestions for you other than what has been already suggested. That Vancouver Day is a seriously pretty paint color.