Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garbage Disposals

Posted by Znarf719 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 7:28

What are thoughts on how to operate a garbage disposal: with micro-switch or continuous feed?

If anyone has continuous feed, where do you keep the closure disk when you're not using it? What does the drain look like when you're not actively grinding food?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garbage Disposals

I keep the closure disk under the sink - there are flappers to prevent items from sliding into the disposer - but I don't store dishes in the sink (just never have - hate sticking my hand into a gooey sink full of whatever)

I grew up with batch feed and overall prefer the continuous feed - our new Insinkerator Evolution has tighter flaps so sometimes have to use a utensil to drive items into the disposer - (think egg shells)

o

"If anyone has continuous feed, where do you keep the closure disk when you're not using it?"

In the tilt out in front of the sink.

"What does the drain look like when you're not actively grinding food?"

The flapper that prevents backslash is all you see.

o

we have two waste king continuous feed disposals for both kitchen sinks (main and prep) operated by fiber optic switches, which are great! Drains have flappers as already outlined and we keep the closure disk in the front tilt out as well.

o

I prefer continuous feed. It's simple. Right now I have a wall switch for it, but in the new house I'm going to use an air switch behind the sink.

>If anyone has continuous feed, where do you keep the closure disk when you're not using it?

Under the sink somewhere. I never use it.

>What does the drain look like when you're not actively grinding food?

Just the black flapper thing. I have the Insinkerator Evolution Excel disposal, and its flapper is kind of pleated. That helps it act like a sound baffle and cuts down on the noise. This model is very quiet, and I think all of their Evolution series are fairly quiet.

The Excel's only real disadvantage is that it's huge and heavy. It takes up a fair bit of space under the sink. Installing it was a chore; the thing is so heavy I needed a hydraulic jack to hold it place while I tightened the ring that attaches it to the sink.

Laura

o

I have continuous feed with fiber optic switch near the corner of the sink. I usually keep the closing disk right in the drain, because I wash dishes on that side. Since I compost a lot of scraps I don't run the disposal often - probably once a day. If you twist it up, it doesn't impede the flow of water. But if I want it out of the way, I put it in the tilt out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here