Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zinc countertop anyone?

Posted by halgreene (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 7:18

Hi.

I'm doing a new kitchen and I have a medium-sized counter/breakfast bar to design, and I've been leaning towards doing it in zinc. I love the look of zinc and from a casual perusal of the web it seems like it's not too fussy and ages gorgeously and would add a quite spectacular counterpoint to the rest of the kitchen which is pretty much standard cherry & granite.

Q: Does anyone have a zinc countertop and what do you think of it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zinc countertop anyone?

Very $$$$. More than copper.

o

I fell in love with zinc after seeing Mtnrdredux unveiling her beautiful counter. You could search the forum for her posts. Her small stretch of zinc cost more than all of the Carrara in my large kitchen. It sure is gorgeous though!

o

The counter breezygirl is referring to is not zinc. It's pewter. Big difference.

Zinc counters are relatively soft, they will patina and dent slightly. It would be a shame to do one plain since they take wonderful edges that give them the French bistro look. This one is sooooo stylish. I have stainless counters with plain edges and clipped corners. My thought is that it's silly to spend the upcharge on zinc without the piecrust effect. Just go stainless.

A google search will turn up most of the places around the country that do zinc counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zinc bars

o

Ditto Rococogurl.

I flirted with pewter, and consizered zinc. Both get very dark with use. I think zinc is supposed to be easier to polish. I don't like the way zinc makes my hands smell. :)

Metal counters are very practical.

o

I've been in love with this idea for several years. I bookmarked this site a long time ago for when/if I take the plunge for new countertops. I don't know if this is what you're looking for but they may be able to answer some of your questions.

I'm not at all affiliated, just love the idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: Zinc sheets for DIY/Custom Zinc

o

(*sigh*) Lust. Extreme lust. Don't think I could get DH on board but I love the soft look.

o

alex9179:

Great link. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here