Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolverine2_gw

Chimney hood venting issues (soffit?)

wolverine2
10 years ago

We started demo on Tuesday for our DIY kitchen. I was curious to see what was there when the ceiling came down to see how easy it would be to vent our planned chimney hood. The plan was to run the vent along the joists and out the side of the house. Unfortunately, the joist that is above where the range will be is the one joist with pipes running the length of the kitchen. So there's not room for the vent there. So it seems like our options are to use another joist, which would require building a soffit to hide the ductwork to get it to the next joist, or to scrap the whole chimney hood plan and get an under cabinet. (We already have the chimney hood, which I like, so I'm not loving that option either).

Any pictures I find of chimney hoods with soffits are in kitchen with a soffit all around, so they are hidden with nice crown molding. But we would only need a soffit in between the cabinets over the range, which I think might look weird. Otherwise, our cabinets will go to the ceiling with a small crown molding at the top. Am I missing any other options I haven't thought of?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County