Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipe of the Week - Oatmeal de Lexana

Posted by a2gemini (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 7:01

On my Did It post - someone asked if I had a new recipe. So here is the recipe of the week - now, I don't have a zillion recipes, so not sure how long this will last, so will need others to chime in. Not sure this qualifies but with all of the lovely new kitchens, we need a recipe box. Maybe we could create a recipe forum!

This recipe was adapted from the Stokely Creek Ski Touring Center Recipe book by Phyllis Burl

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil or butter the inside of a ceramic crock. I use a taller/narrower crock - more bowl shaped. Mix all dry ingredients together and then add the milk. Bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes and enjoy. I freeze the leftovers and reheat in MW

2 cups oatmeal
4 cups milk
Dash of salt
1/3 cup brown sugar (or maple syrup, etc)
1 cup chopped nuts - I usually use slivered almonds and either pecans or walnuts.
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (if desired)
1 cup dried fruit - for the michigan twist - I use cherries and apricots but you can use raisins or any other dried fruit.
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 large unpeeled apple, cut into small pieces

Be creative - I never make the same batch - I vary the fruit and nuts!

Enjoy!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe of the Week - Oatmeal de Lexana

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds very tasty. I will try it soon.

o

Sounds yum! Can you use steel cut oats?

o

The first time I had baked oatmeal was at a bed and breakfast in Lancaster, PA. It tasted like a delicious oatmeal cookie fresh out of the oven! Once I get my kitchen together I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing. :)

o

CK - I usually use steel cut or thick cut oats- sometimes with SC oats, you might need a bit more milk.
Also for the lactose group, I sometimes use almond milk.

Campy- I cut down the sugar from the original- but yes, I always think of Stokely creek every time that I make this,

Everyone wants me to bring to brunch pot lucks

o

I just got my crockery out of storage so will be making this recipe this weekend -- yum!!

I'm back from a lovely vacation at the beach where I was completely off-line, so I'm glad I noticed this thread!

o

Enjoy!!
Maybe this weekend, will make a batch and photograph it - wait, I have to work this Saturday.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here