Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Pop ups - underlined links

oldbat2be
9 years ago

For the past few days on my iPad, I've been very irritated by the small 'pimp my ad' etc. pop ups. While just swiping down the page, if a line contains those stupid keyword links (ex kitchen, double underlined), a small rectangular ad pops up obscuring text form5 seconds or so.

Hate it!! I restarted my ipad and double-checked that my Safari settings were set to not allow pop ups.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Comments (19)

• linste22
    9 years ago

Yes, it's been happening to me as well. Thought it was just an issue with my ipad.

Editing to add: now that I've opened my eyes, had some coffee and began reading the forum today, I no longer am seeing them.

Further editing to say, yes, they're still there. More coffee!

This post was edited by linste on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 7:09

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just looked for words where it's doing it.

Testing with (it may take a while to index) : Purchase companies

• fishymom
    9 years ago

Yes, it is very annoying!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

I don't have those so much as I have HUGE ads on the side and bottom advertising Monster High dolls. I don't even have girls and have never searched for them on the internet!! Excuse me, I see now it's Barbie now that I'm on the preview my post screen. Either way, the pink/black crazy pattern is super annoying.

I'm on a PC.

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

Happening here too...so annoying!

• susandail_m
    9 years ago

Yes, on my ipad also. To the advertisers...I just leave this site when that happens!

• tea4all
    9 years ago

Yup here too. Thanks for bringing this up. I thought it was something gone haywire with my ipad. No techie here. :)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

It's really annoying. Really takes away from my reading pleasure.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Me as well...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Getting new customers by annoying potentials. Who knew?

• Jancy
    9 years ago

Same here on my ipad. So annoying.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

It just restarted for me a couple of days ago too

If you look at the very bottom of this page, there's a sentence that reads "learn more about in text links on this page here". If you click that, you can opt out. The link to opt out was broken yesterday, and I emailed gardenweb. I guess we'll see what they say. It sure is annoying.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Ironically, I can promise with complete certainty, that THE last vendor from which I'd purchase ANYTHING would be one that destroys my pleasure at reading my favorite boards.

Advertising dollars are spent where the most traffic is generated, and click-thrus are tracked. Could they possibly be generating enough traffic to justify the dollars they pay iVillage to have these STUPID ads?

Even when I go to the store, I don't have subliminal urges to buy xx toilet paper, xx paper towel, xx penis enhancers, xx Barbie dolls, xx weight loss, nor take it all with me to that Disney vacation repeatedly thrown in my face when online. I don't even shop with a phone to show the store my "exclusive" coupon offers.

I will never, ever, ever, never buy something thrown in my face by iVillage. I've said this since I worked for them in the 90s. And to date, I've not broken that vow.

Ever-amazing is that people are paid to think up these [ahem] brilliant advertising methods. When we have a nuclear or viral, global war and humanity needs talents and skills to survive? These people, along with used car salesmen, economists, "expert bloggers," commentators, analysts (political and otherwise), actuaries, insurance salespeople and their whole companies, the DEA, (Better STOP me) will become 1) cannon fodder, 2) human medical testing candidates, 3) compost.

Next time I'll tell you how I really feel, but I sure wish the advertisers knew -- or gave a darn.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

YES! Its been driving me nuts. I'm glad you asked this question, I thought it might have been because my iPad is first generation.

ML

• weissman
    9 years ago

Does anything like AdBlockPlus exist for the iPad? That's what I used on my laptop - you need install it for each browser you use - it works great.

• weissman
    9 years ago

To answer my own question, I found that there is an AdBlock browser for IOS 7.

Here is a link that might be useful: AdBlock

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Weisman, let us know if it works, thanks for the update.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I loathe the pop-ups! I've followed the instructions to remove them from view on my PC but it's *never* worked, no matter how many times I try. It used to but not any more. I've cleaned out my cache (something suggested by forum admin), still no joy.

Now I review my posts and if I see a mean green, underline thing I edit my post to remove it, either by changing the choice of words or by purposefully misspelling a word, like k1tchen and rem0del.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

Don't the ads support this site?

They are annoying, though.