Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefly

Kitchen reno - mainly backsplash question

firefly
9 years ago

Hi all, we close on our new home on Aug. 22 and are planning to renovate the kitchen because it's not to our style. The house was built in the 90's and has been very well-maintained. We're keeping the footprint the same, repainting the walls light gray, the cabinets white, changing the countertops to Carrara marble and switching out the appliances to SS. Yes, I know, it sounds so typical, but I've always wanted a white kitchen. :) For the backsplash, I initially thought I would just go with white subway tile, but after browsing through the GW forums, I feel like it would be nice to have the backsplash be a different pattern or a different color of fireclay tile.

Here are a few photos of the kitchen as it is right now:

We'll be putting in a 36" rangetop (Thermador or Bluestar) and either a free-standing hood or one under cabinet, but definitely getting rid of the above cooktop microwave. Currently they have a 30" cooktop installed. I understand we'll be losing cabinet/storage space but the house has lots of storage next to the kitchen so that's not an issue. We also plan to level the island and perhaps extend the overhang another 6". Island to be painted either white or light gray, haven't decided yet. The double wall ovens are to the left of the coffee-maker.

Will probably switch the fridge to a CD model as we're a family of 3 and I don't like to have the fridge sticking out. Looking at this photo again, does it make sense to have the table be two heights or would it be better to lower the right side and have it also be one level? Maybe I can use it as a baking station? Ideally I would also like to change the flooring to wood or wood tile but I guess we'll live with it for now and revisit in 3 years.

We're planning to tear down the cabinets above the counter (is that called a peninsula?). Here you can see the GC having a look to see what needs to be done.

Here's the beverage area beside the peninsula.

Here's one tile option, but DH is not a huge fan. It's called Oceanside Meridian Glass Tile and it's supposed to be made of recycled glass.

This one is made of marble (can't recall offhand) but is it too small? Too many grout lines for the kitchen?

I realize it's hard to tell since we don't have the actual Carrara slab picked out yet. Would it be weird to have a Carrara counter and a Carrara BS as well, especially since they won't come from the same slab and the color might be off?

The other option, which I mentioned above, is to do Fireclay subway tile in a different color, either a light gray, a super pale aqua, or a super pale jade.

And if I can't decide, the default option is white subway tile.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Trying to ''fix'' all of the issues you listed is much harder and more expensive than designing the space differently from the beginning. Paying labor for all of those changes to the space will easily be 85%-over 100% of just buying all new cabinets for the space. Doing new would let you tweak the layout for better functionality, such a more drawers, and taking the cabinets to the ceiling. Plus it would allow you to eliminate those cathedral arch doors.

• rantontoo
    9 years ago

Trade-offs...always trade offs!

If it were my kitchen, my first priority would be eliminating the cathedral design doors. I would order new doors (easier to paint, for sure!); and then do everything you discussed EXCEPT redoing the backsplash. I would find a counter material that complimented it, but I am not in love with Carrara.

What is the current counter material? Do you hate it or can you live with it? Could you accept current counters and tile if something different was on the new designed island only?

What is the purpose of the peninsula? Does the flooring extend under the peninsula cabinets? Eliminate it? Will you use the desk area? If not, I would change those cabinets and redesign...easier to do if you change out the doors and paint or maybe the peninsula lower cabs will fit in the desk area????

I am not sure what you mean by "table"?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It does seem unusual to put in very modern, high-end finishes and appliances, and then keep the 1990s with the cathedral doors, cabinet bases, 12" over fridge cabs, and oddly-configured desk area. That's a lot of time and money to invest to still have a 90s kitchen with a few 2014 influences. Usually the cathedral doors are the first thing to go.

• firefly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your replies! It seems pretty unanimous that those cathedral doors have got to go, lol.

hollysprings - can I clarify that you're saying getting al new cabinets would cost about the same as repainting them only or did you mean including the rest of the changes? I'd heard it was really expensive to buy new cabinets which is why the plan was to repaint them. Another option would be to buy new front doors only and keep the actual cabinets as they're in pretty good condition and previous owners have put in some inside accessories like a built-in knife storage, dividers for baking equipment, etc.

Ranton - I never thought about just getting rid of the peninsula...that's an interesting idea. It's currentIy being used as an eating area, I assume, since they have stools there and there's no other separate eating area aside from the island and a formal dining room. It would definitely open up the kitchen more and maybe the island could be made bigger. We wanted to keep the existing footprint to lessen costs so never even considered anything else. I'm not sure what's underneath the peninsula in terms of flooring.

I'm not sure what the current counter material is. I think it's either laminate or Corian? It just looks old style to me. As for the "table" reference, that was me having a duh moment forgetting the word "desk" instead. That area would probably not be used as an actual desk area since there's a separate office off the master bedroom. Which height do you think is better for the desk area? The higher one or the lower one?

may_flowers - Thanks for that insight about still having a 90's kitchen with 2014 influences. I really need to figure out cabinets now...

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Few random thoughts / assumptions behind the thoughts.
    1.You have a reasonable budget to work with as the work planned seems quite extensive and is just not cosmetic.
    2. Since you want white cabinets, I presume that means you want neat, clean and modern. Maybe you could consider slab doors or shaker style doors rather than the current dated cathedral look.
    3. Your current counter does not have an overhang; a 2 -3 inch overhang and a demi bull nose edge for the counter would help to keep those spills off your nice white cabinets
    4. The current counter heights are a bit over the place - keeping them uniform as far as possible enhances the clean look.
    5. Re backsplash, with white cabinets and carerra marble, I personally would go in for something a bit less busy and keep either of what you currently have looked at as a highlighter possibly behind the range. My personal preference is matt rather than glossy (as it minimises reflection from the rest of the kitchen) but this depends from person to person.
    6. What's your floor colour? You may want to look at colour combinations where the cabinets/ the countertop / the backsplash and the floor complement each other.
    7.White comes in all kinds of white - I would look for a "warm" white cabinet colour to pick out the countertop colour.
    8. is that wall near the drinks fridge a supporting wall/ beam? If so, if you keep it the same colour as the backsplash, you could minimise the divide.

9. You may also find this thread useful - I know I did :-)

"please show how you finished the panels under the seating area?"
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0711450912379.html?28

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Hi aloopylife, That is a nice kitchen and will be fabulous with your personal touch! I love that you are going to eliminate the upper cabinets over the peninsula and also just taking it out altogether would be a great option if you can do it so that the walkway into the kitchen is more open. I recently moved some cabinets in my laundry room and there was hardwood under them that at first I thought would be a terrible problem to match since it remained unfinished but it was easy to fix and I did it myself!

Here is a compromise position that you might consider. I don't blame you for not wanting to rip out the whole kitchen so you might consider just replacing the upper cabinets in pre-finished white. That way you could have them go to the ceiling if that's your preference. Then you could just replace the doors on the lowers in the same pre-finished white and then just have the lower cabinet boxes painted. I am not sure how cost effective this would be but if you really don't want to pull all the cabinets out and are happy with the upgrades to the lowers it's an option.

As to the backsplash I really like your second example and think it would look fabulous with your Carrera marble. If you think it might be too much of a good thing you could always put it in just a focal point area such as over the range or wherever you want it along with the white subway tiles. Fall back position to subway white tiles is always a good option as well and probably much more budget friendly. They also have subway Carrera tiles that are pretty and look great with your counter choice which is gorgeous. I have it in an upper guest bath and it's heartbreakingly beautiful. It feels so nice too.

When we priced just doing doors for the cabinets it was sort of shocking how much it was!!! If you don't want to do all of them I have seen some kitchens that left some of them in place while changing the others. I don't think I have ever seen cathedral done on both the uppers and lowers as in your new home. Here they usually put them on the top only. If only they had done that! You could have kept the bottom cabinets as they are and only replaced the top doors or cabinets. Good luck! It's going to be really pretty even if you keep the cabinets as is and paint, it will be a huge update with the other changes and I love the idea of taking down the cabinets and peninsula in that area. That will be a nice update just doing that. New paint on the walls will also bring a new fresh feeling to the space as well.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I love both of your backsplash choices. Have you seen Sarah Richardson's Cottage with a similar backsplash?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah Richardson's cottage

• User
    9 years ago

Painting that many cabinets by a professional with a HVLP that knows what he is doing is likely to be in the 6-9K range. Then you're making carpentry changes as well. The labor for that isn't gonna be cheap. Ad nauseam. Repeat for all of those things you want to ''tweak''. 30K by the time you are through.

It all adds up to more than removing what's there (and getting the tax write off for donating it) and replacing it with cabinets designed to make the space work harder from the beginning. With no ''alterations''. A budget line like Shenendoah or Aristokraft can get you where you need to be for less than you'd be spending for sure. Yes, who,e project totals, with the new counters, etc. A medium grade line like Kraftmade or Kemper might be a tad more than your current projected makeover total, but you'd end up with a MUCH better kitchen for tbe dollars spent.

The bottom line s that you can't put a facelift on poor functionality and expect it to create better function. Plastic surgery is VERY expensive, and you're left with the same bones. Get better bones.