Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Kitchen Reveal

Posted by diyguyjr (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 6:20

Just wanted to post some pics of our finished kitchen. It was a long time in the making - I started last July - so, it took just about a year. I didn't want to be one of those "it took me a year guys" but life really does get in the way of progress - work, kids school, kids activities . .. .so, here we are at just around a year.

I built the kitchen because I got a bit of sticker shock on cabinet pricing. Initial shopping / ballpark estimates had cabinets between at $20-25K. So, I decided to build them instead and what I saved, I put into the appliances.

The original kitchen was 15+ years old. The cabinets were faded from them sun, grimy, and particle board. The shelving had bowed in some places where some plates were stored. The white sink was scratched and stained. We also had the original white contractor tile that was chipping and breaking. Actually, doesn't look too bad in this picture, but it was well past its prime:

photo tn_IMG_5881.jpg

Here are some of the cabinets - all built in my garage and driveway workshop:

photo tn_IMG_5631.jpg

photo tn_IMG_5636.jpg

We did take a little time out for a holiday card:

photo tn_IMG_5849.jpg

Habitats for Humanity deconstructed the kitchen with the exception of the backsplash. If you cabinets are in useable shape, they will take your kitchen apart and haul away the useable saleable pieces for a small fee. We had 4 guys working the demo for 4-5 hours. I think this saved me about of week trying to do the demo on my own:

photo tn_IMG_5955.jpg

Anyone home??

photo tn_IMG_6048.jpg

The hood vent was the first thing I put up:
 photo tn_IMG_6233.jpg

Making some progress:
 photo tn_IMG_6246.jpg

Range top cabinet with spice rack pullouts on both sides - this was a pain to build:
 photo tn_IMG_6505.jpg

Pre-granite graffitti:
 photo tn_IMG_6596.jpg

photo tn_IMG_6601.jpg

Our beautiful Rachiele Sink:
 photo tn_IMG_6607.jpg

Granite Install:
 photo tn_IMG_6680.jpg

photo tn_IMG_6698.jpg

Paint - Swiss Coffee - 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of finish:
 photo tn_IMG_8159.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8162.jpg

Here is the end result after a year of working on it:

photo tn_IMG_8199.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8200.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8204.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8205.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8224.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8225.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8234.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8241.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8243.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8246.jpg

photo tn_IMG_8278.jpg

And the kitchen would not be complete without the Charles:

photo tn_IMG_8288.jpg

That's it for the pics:

photo tn_IMG_8286.jpg

Cabinets - including slow close slides - $7,500
Sink - Rachiele Smarter Sink $3,700
Range top - Capital Culinarian 36" 3,300
Ovens - Elux Icon $3,700
Hood Insert - Imperial 1100 cfm $1,100
Wine Fridge - Edgestar $800
Dishwasher - Kitchen Aid $1000
Cabinet door/drawer fronts - Cabinet Now $2,500
Blum clip hinges with blumotion mechanism
Top Knob -drawer cup pulls and cabinet door knobs $600
Moen Faucet
Undercounter Lighting - Environmental LED $800
Paint $3,000 Hired a pro.
Granite $8,000.

We are considering putting in pendant lights above the island - my wife wants them, butI do not - I already think there is enough going on in the kitchen. Wondering what you all think about adding the pendants - if we do them, I am thinking of using something like the below and would be grateful for opinions:
 photo KichlerLightingPendent.jpg

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks for viewing.

This post was edited by diyguyjr on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 23:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Kitchen Reveal

Amazing!!!!
I am overwhelmed by your talent, taste & guts!!!! I hope you and your family have many happy times in your beautiful new kitchen, congrats!!!!

o

WOW!!!! Such talent! Your kitchen looks fabulous! Love your poochie too!!!

o

What an amazing family project! It is beautifully glamorous! I'm sure your kids couldn't be prouder of their dad :)

As for the lights. I would want to hang up some stuffed plastic or paper bags from strings, on the ceiling to check for size and location of each. The light can be helpful at the island. Put it on a dimmer too. If you don't want to obscure the views with the lights maybe something smaller than the one you've shown. Have you looked at Huberton Forge lights?

o

you are wonderful!..and such a patient caring family-so much to endure. It is a lovely space. Re pendants: I can see the debate ....if any at all, I would go smaller in diameter and a little more decorative like colored or some sort of glass. There might be something that provides that finishing touch....best thing is to look through some catalogues[kichler..seagull]... online/at your leisure].

o

Have you sent that to This Old House yet? Such a gorgeous kitchen, sounds like a cover story to me!!!!

Congratulations! Love ALL of it!

Nancy

o

Wow, really nice. You really did a great job. Enjoy!

o

Beautiful, beautiful work. Remember to post on the "does your kitchen match your dog" thread, too :)

o

WOW!!! If you hadn't shown your garage/driveway workshop pics and the cabinet painting pics, I would not have believed that you DIYed that kitchen. That is one incredibly gorgeous kitchen you made. I don't think I have seen anything nicer on this forum. Your granite is fabulous, as is your sink and everything else in your space. Congratulations.

o

I just hope everyone contemplating taking on the old kitchen somehow sees your project. It's inspiring in so many ways. And your finished kitchen is absolutely wonderful, but of course that was only one of the achievements here. It occurs to me that a family project need not start from scratch to be highly successful.

o

Very impressive! Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen. Enjoy!

o

I can see why your wife might want pendants. Can't have too much light, IMO. But going smaller would be a good thing. Also, probably a good idea to match or "blend" any pendants with adjoining room or rooms so since we haven't seen these, I will not presume to suggest. Given what you've done so far, I have full confidence that what you decide will be beautiful. Congrats! (Taking a year is nothing to apologize for.)

o

I can't believe how beautifully your sink goes with your granite. It's gorgeous!

Did you make your doors? I think only a year is pretty darned good! Your funny pictures made me laugh, too. It's great you took them all along the way.

Just beautiful. I am always impressed with the creativitiy shown here!

o

Congratulations on a fantastic job.
I'm in your camp on the pendants, but if you decide to go for them, the smaller the better.
Judging by your results so far, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

o

Wow. You are very talented! Beautiful kitchen!

What kind of granite is that? It looks a little like some turtle granite I saw, but I'm horrible with identifying granite. It's gorgeous!

o

Beautiful work, beautiful kitchen. Very creative and inspiring. Thank you for sharing and congratulations to you and your family.

o

Great job!

o

Beautiful job! Looks great and I love it!

o

Wonderful! Congratulations on a beautiful job! I'm impressed when a kitchen turns out that beautifully without a KD, but as a DIY it's quite impressive.

Hope you enjoy many many happy years together in that lovely kitchen. Pendants would be nice, I might add something with a bit of sparkle for that last touch of je na sais quoi!

o

Did you hire a kitchen designer for this?

o

Your gorgeous kitchen would impress the heck out of me if you'd had those cabs made by a professional. But you did this yourself?!? I'm speechless.

o

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing...and I like the idea of pendants.

o

Beautiful design AND great execution! Congratulations on an outstanding project!!

o

Dude! You are amazing!!! I could work a lifetime and never do anything like that. Your family must be sooo proud of you and their contributions to your fabulous kitchen. I'm just in awe.

Did I miss what your beautiful counters are made of?

o

Wow! Wow! I love everything about your kitchen! I can't believe you built those gorgeous cabinets yourself! Amazing!

But what I really like the best is your lovely family Christmas card!

o

Wow---You have some serious carpentry skills. You COULD lose your day job! Everything is beautiful and that granite is a stunner!!

For pendants--I would get someting clear and smallish so they almost disappear...best of both worlds..she gets her lights but they don't take over the room.

You shoud be very proud of that lovely room! And you have a beautiful family..and pooch!

o

You dragged me out of my years of lurk-dom because this is too fabulous not to comment on. Your kitchen is amazing and your family must be so proud. Wish you all much happiness in your beautiful new kitchen.

o

Holy cow! That is DIY?? That seals it for me, our DIY is gonna stay on the down-low. LOL.

Seriously, that is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! And only a year? I am amazed! Congrats and enjoy!

o

AWESOME job!!!!

o

Wow! Gorgeous! You did a really beautiful job. The kitchen has a very cohesive look, which is hard to achieve in DIY sometimes when you have so many options since you are doing the work yourself. It looks like you had a clear vision and stuck to it, finishing every last detail.

I love love love your family Christmas card. Your kids will have such fond memories of this experience, even if it was stressful at times. I am also remodeling a kitchen with two kids, and it has been a really bonding, sometimes wacky experience.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

o

One more thing: I'm so glad you included photos of yourself and your family in the reveal. I know some people like to guard their privacy, as if I might walk down the street in your town a thousand miles away, recognize you, and scream, there! he's the guy that did the most awesome DIY ever!!! Thank you for putting your very real (and handsome) face to your work.

o

What an adorable family! And the kitchen is an absolute stunner! FWIW I like the pendants you chose. What is your granite? It's fantastic.

I'd say that gorgeous kitchen was worth the time. Great job!

o

My favs: sink, floor, granite.

To die for: the smiles on your faces.

o

What a fabulous kitchen!! Love the sink, granite and splash, the appliances, and the cabinets that look so lovely (can't believe you made those yourself, wow) ... and the pup accent piece that finishes it off to perfection. Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen. Great looking family too!

o

What a fabulous kitchen!! Love the sink, granite and splash, the appliances, and the cabinets that look so lovely (can't believe you made those yourself, wow) ... and the pup accent piece that finishes it off to perfection. Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen. Great looking family too!

o

That is one incredible DIY. Love your granite and the slate floors, which yer dawg do seem to match, fwiw.

Really. Wow. One year. Wow. Amazingly beautiful and I second the sending it to This Old House. And Houzz.

Your cabinets are gorgeous. I'd never believe that was built in a garage. Jeepers.

As for pendants: like the idea. Might go with something more glass and less solid, though. Hang some balloons from a string about the size you are thinking of to get an idea.

Again, just wow.

o

WOW! Congratulations, it's a beautiful kitchen and your craftsmanship is amazing. You really should be very proud of yourself. Kudos!

o

Wow. Thank you all for the great compliments.

I'm very happy with how it came out; however, I am not without my more than fair share of flubs. Molding and paint covered quite a few issues, lol. Our house probably wouldn't qualify for "This Old House" as it's newer; but darn, I wish I could have gotten on "Professional Grade" and made some money back, lol.

We had our moments of trying patience. I got a little grumpy a few times as did the rest of the family. I built most of the cabinets before the demo. We were without a kitchen for about 8 weeks.

To answer a few questions:
I did not make the doors. When I was complete with the face frames, I measured and ordered doors from Cabinet Now in Northern California. Doors and drawer fronts came in 5-7 business days. Great company to deal with.

The granite is called Nebula Aurora from Brazil via Bellisimo Granite. We bought through Precision Countertops - they contract through Costco. We were told it is a quartzite. The label that I have a picture of says it's composed of Feldspars, Quartz and Mica. Not sure what that all means, but this granite did stain with some hot oil. I have since learned what poulticing means. I also have a tiny chip in it from dropping a putty knife on it. Love the look of it, but not sure how it will stand the test of time. We'll see.

I had no KD (kitchen designer?). I did however, look at a lot of kitchens online and in magazines. We installed the floor a long time ago. I liked the slate and wanted to do something different than hardwood that many of our neighbors were doing (we bought our house in a new tract back in 1998). So as the floor stayed, the footprint from the original kitchen was exactly the same; the appliances just got wider. I knew I wanted to pop the cabinets out to give more depth with the sink and range top. The fluted moldings were way easier to make than you think (Rockler has a jig for a plunge router that worked great). We had some store bought feet for the range, sink and island, but did not like them. I made the feet out of base molding.

This site helped a lot in appliance choices including the sink. Rachiele was fantastic. I will decline to mention the vendor where I purchased the range top, hood and ovens. They were less than stellar - beautiful showroom, but very poor in back end management.

The holiday card was fun. We tried getting Charles the dog in the sink, but he didn't want to stay. So, we posed in front of the cabinets.

We'll live without the lights for a little while and see what we think after a few months.

Would I do it all again?? Hell yes. Would my wife let me?? Hell no. lol. well, maybe.

Thanks again for all of your nice comments. Much appreciated.

o

Wow! I am so impressed. Your design and aesthetics are excellent. I love your choices; the sink, the faucet, the granite, the white cabinets, the flooring, the knobs etc, etc, etc.

If I were redoing my kitchen I would just print out your pictures and say, do it like that. I bet I'm not the only one on this forum.

Your family is so lucky to have you! Love the dog!

This post was edited by mic111 on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 23:07

o

Wow! Amazing. What a great sense of accomplishment. Congrats.

o

Everyone has already said it for me. This is just so impressive. It takes a lot of courage to jump in and do this yourself, and you've been able to achieve it at such a high level, too!

I love how you made this a family effort, as well. This is something your kids will remember forever. What a great lesson about what can be achieved, with hard work, time, and effort. And frankly a lot of skill.

Good for you. Well done. You're a credit to DIY folks everywhere, and I'm cheered by your success.

o

That is amazing! Such a beautiful and functional kitchen, and you put new meaning into "DIY" with even building the cabinets!! Enjoy!

o

That is amazing! Such a beautiful and functional kitchen, and you put new meaning into "DIY" with even building the cabinets!! Enjoy!

o

WOW! Terrific results for such a short period of time. We are DIYers as well, but I will never ask DH to build cabinet doors again, after seeing how long it takes him...:) Hope the boys picked up lots of skills along the way. Congratulations!

o

Gorgeous work! Love, love love that the family was involved! We are not DIYers but did spend the weekend painting and involved the kids, which made them so proud and happy. I'd encourage you to print this thread, including the pictures, maybe add a few budget details and then put it in a ziploc inside a toe kick or tape it to the top of a dark cabinet corner where no one will see it for a couple decades.
This is a beautiful kitchen, but it is more than a kitchen.

o

Beautiful kitchen and another dog that matches a kitchen! Lol

o

What an amazing project you completed perfectly! Your kitchen is beautiful! So great that it could be a family project!

o

Beautiful! I love the granite counters and backsplash. The limited number of materials really flows well together. Congrats on an amazing DIY.

o

From one DIY to another - my hat is off to you! Your skills are stellar and looks like you've found a serious hobby.
What do you do for a day job?!?
Everything is wonderful and I especially like the floor and countertop/backslash the same, with the traditional white kitchen.
Thanks for adding the pic of the half finished range hood - my DH is building ours right now...
Get the pendants They will look great.

o

DIY??? That's quite an accomplishment. It looks amazing!!

o

You did such a fantastic job, which has obviously been stated already, but could be stated again and again and be well deserved!

Thank you for posting! We are in the middle of our own complete DIY of a whole house while trying to work in the kitchen on the side. I am so happy you posted about the cabinet doors, we have been trying to decide if we want to build or have them built for us to save time. My hubby's only concern was the doors taking forever to get right, I think you just saved us many $1000's. I am also glad you said it wasn't complete smooth sailing. I think I would be a bit angry if you could come up with that great a kitchen and have no "grumpiness" along the way ;-)

I had been considering that same sink, but wasn't sure about the cost... maybe I can take the $1000's you just saved us and re-invest. Thanks again for posting!

o

Wow, you did an amazing job and should be very proud.

o

Very impressive. You had to be very organized to have it done in eight weeks.

o

Zowie!!!
That is an amazing kitchen!!
I think your whole family should go on the road!!
I love everything about you kitchen - your sink, floor, countertops and of course Charles.
Amazing!!
Come on by anytime!!
Thank you for sharing!!

o

This is a fabulous kitchen. The colors are gorgeous and the workmanship is extraordinary. Congratulations and enjoy.

o

What a fabulous kitchen! You did an amazing job and I bet your family is extremely proud of you.

I love your granite, actually I am in love with the whole kit and kaboodle!

o

What a beautiful space created by your family. The memories your family will share for years to come is worth every frustration or 8 weeks without a kitchen. Everything is just gorgeous. Congratulations on a job well done!

o

Holy cow, Batman!!! I only have one question - How much do you charge???

That is super fabulous. I'd have to have another kitchen out back, 'cause I'd never let anyone enter. You've done good!!!

o

Great Job diyguyjr. I'm about to undertake the same thing. however, on a much smaller kitchen. I gotta build the doors too. Arghh.

A few questions if you don't mind.....:)

Did you pocket screw everything?
Any glue, dados or rabbits? (seems a lot of folks don't do that anymore and swear by it. Just screws).

what depth are the cabs?

Did you spray everything in place? Or, is that just the final coat? Any brushing?
What primer and paint did you use?

Poplar frames??
Is that Home depot birch ply?

Really nice work.
Thanks
Tim

o

Like the other posters, I am just amazed at your kitchen. I can really see the love that you and your family put into this kitchen. Enjoy it -- you deserve it!

o

Hi TBO123,

No, I did not pocket screw everything. The boxes were dadoed. I used a router to do the slots as I do not have a dado blade for my table saw. I used clamp n guides to run my straight lines. I even dadoed the box for the backs then nail and glued (Titebond II) the boxes as well as clamped. If you see in the pictures, some of the boxes were too big for pipe clamps, so I got some strap clamps that worked great. I also used full 3/4" ply for the backing on the uppers. I thought it would make it easier to hang the cabinets. I used GRK cabinet screws with a built in washer. These worked great, plus I actually removed 6inches of drywall where the old backsplash was - that way I knew where every single stud was - this turned out to be a good thing as I installed a new cabinet where there was not one before. There was a waste line and water lines installed right next to one of the studs - I could have easily created a big mess if I had used a stud finder.

Everything is maple. Maple ply, paint grade maple doors, maple face. We have a great store called Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana. I purchased all of the ply and moldings from them. One nice thing is that I had them do the first cuts on the 4x8 sheets. Made it easier to haul in my SUV plus easier to manage on the table saw as needed.

However, our local Home Depot actuals stocks maple from 1.5" to 7" wide boards. They seemed to have a nicer selection than the hardwood store; so, I bought the face frame material from HD. I used maple as it is much harder than poplar and while it does dent, will not dent as easy as poplar. I did use poplar to mount all of the slides and frames I built to hold the slides and drawers on the inside of the cabinets.

I did pocket hole the face frames - love my Kreg Jig - actually that was one of the kids assignments - pocket holes.

Depth of the cabinets on the uppers is 12"

I hired a painter - I cannot stand painting. The boxes were installed and sprayed in place. The doors were all removed and painted under our plastic encased patio cover. The painters did do a little touch up brushing.

Before I started, my cordless drill and nailer had bitten the dust. I bought a new cordless Dewalt drill and nailer as refurbs from an online store. They work great. The nailer will drive an 1.5" nail through ply and maple face. It will not however go all the way through two pieces of maple. I also burned out a router that I inherited along with a router table - so, found one on ebay to replace it.

I did also buy a jig from Rockler to do the fluting - it was surprisingly easy. You do need a router with a plunge base. If you do attempt the fluting with their jig, make sure you plunge and hold and run through each flute smoothly. I lifted off of one of the flutes which caused me a little bit of sanding. . . .

Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you have any more as you work your way through your remodel. Best of luck. You can do it!

o

I had to comment because I was so impressed you did this all yourself. That is really stupendous and such a wonderful thing for your family. You and your family should be SOOOO proud of that accomplishment. You are an inspiration to the GW forum for sure. Now if only my husband could fix something!

o

Incredible work, beautiful kitchen. I especially love the counters and BS; that is one pretty stone. You did a wonderful job both in design and execution. Congratulations!

o

Absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful job you did. I see you had your sons working with you and that is a good thing. It was a great lesson for them to see how hands-on work gives them great personal pride.
I agree that you need pendants over the island. Does that pendant come in a bronze finish like the knobs? That might be a thought. I love the design of it. It fits your kitchens identity perfectly.
What I really like is the relationship between the granite and the flooring up against those fabulous white cabinets! Wow and Wow! A full height backsplash is exactly what you needed and how wonderfully done it is.
You should be patting yourself on the back each and every time you use your kitchen and brag about it to each and every person who sees it!

o

Your kitchen looks absolutely stunning!
I think pendants would look nice? Or maybe one pendant? I like your choice, I also like online shopping so here are some other options if you are interested:

Millennium Lighting Neo-Industrial 1 Light Mini Pendant

Probably way too big, but I like the copper finish and the flared shape reminds me of your faucet.

Minka Lavery Harvard Court 1 Light Mini Pendant
Clean lines, kinda traditional, really cool

DVI Isabella 1 Light Mini Pendant - The curvy lines on this one remind me of your lovely knobs and pulls.

o

Gorgeous!

o

Thanks for the great reply diyguy.

Sounds great. Good to hear the strap clamps worked out. I've been curious about them.

All maple.. Yea, I like maple too. Here in Florida, there is really nowhere to get it though. Actually, it's been a real pain in the butt for me for years. I recently discovered that I can order it online from HD and it is great quality.
So, How did you finish the interiors? Just the same paint? Pre-finished ply is all the rage now I guess.

Gotta get me the Kreg pocket hole setup..:)

So, base cabs are 24" ish ?

I'm getting there. The hardest part is beginning:)

Thanks
Tim

o

If you live in or near a larger city, I would think you would have a lumber yard (besides Home Depot) around. If not, I think that you should be able to order some lumber on line. I did not use prefinished ply as the store I used only had pre-finished birch ply. If the maple had come pre-finished, I would have done it to make the interiors look good. The pre-finished birch was not that much more expensive than the unfinished birch.

Base cabinets are 24" without the face frame. Add 3/4" with the face. This Is because I had the hardwood store do the first cut down the center - just made it easier to haul the wood and handle it on my own. I popped out the rangetop 3" more and sink cabinets by 2" to give those cabinets some depth compared to the others. The oven cabinet I think I did at 25" + face just to make sure that I had room for the ovens to fit. The appliances have schematics on line that outline the cabinet requirements.

I polyurethaned to interiors of the uppers, but need to redo some of that where I sanded the face frames flush to the boxes. The lowers are not finished as I have pull outs in the lowers. I did polyurethane the sink cabinet though thinking it might aid with clean up if it got wet.

Yes the strap clamps worked great, Wolfcraft strap clamps - I think I got them on Amazon for $35 each - something like that.

I got the Kreg jig kit on ebay used. It has come in very handy over the years. I actually built a 13 foot long desktop using pocket holes - solid maple for a desktop and entertainment center in our loft. I did face frame the boxes with poplar on this project.:

Before:
 photo cb96.jpg

During:
 photo b987.jpg

photo 9db1.jpg

photo d6ae.jpg

photo e17b.jpg

photo 7bc2.jpg

tn_IMG_0887 photo 299e.jpg

tn_IMG_0884 photo 6956.jpg

The desktop is screwed and glued. I had about 20 minutes to get each plank together before the glue set up. I clamped the wood above and below with some scrap wood to keep the planks as flush as I could to each other as I drove the screws in, then undid the clamps and moved the clamps down for the next few screws. Then lots of sanding, lol.

o

Dude!!!!!!
That is some serious pocket hole mania. LOL.

Whatever it takes. That thing ain't never coming apart. Looks great..

o

I thought that I have some pretty good DIY skills, but I'm very impressed with what you've built. You are inspiring me to build the cabinets come time to remodel our master bath. Tool-wise, all that I am missing is a pocket hole jig and clamps (bar or strap). Though, that project may have to wait until next year, as my wallet recovers from our current kitchen reno.

o

You are amazing - we need you to come to A2 - we have an amazing place to get beautiful wood - mostly ash due to the ash borer but other options as well available at the re-use center - they have a secret stash of wood that is leftover from projects plus a lot of ash boards..
And I have about zero DIY skills :-(

o

Wow! It's such a beautiful kitchen. I loved seeing the pictures of the project underway. What a great family project! You do amazing work...and that desk area...it's truly wonderful!!!!

I'm sure you and your family will be enjoying the kitchen for many years to come!

o

Just wow! I love your kitchen and just amazed at your DIY skills. The officE desk is fantastic!

o

You guys are awesome! Amazing!!!!

o

WOWEE, you must be bursting with pride! Well done!

o

@diyguyjr - Did you also build the drawer boxes?

o

Thanks everyone. It was a fun project.

Some of you asked what I did for a living - I work in finance. Growing up, my dad and I built a sailboat - 40 feet. So, as a consequence, I was not scared about doing this - after all, if my dad and I could build a boat, I thought I could build a kitchen. I don't think I'm that good at wood working. I do try to take the extra steps to conceal issues, lol. So I filled every gap and tried to sand as much as I could - and seemingly, you can never sand enough. Wood was tough to get square. . .

I built everything but the doors. So, I did build the drawer boxes as well - nothing fancy, rabbiting slots, nail and glue. I did use a 1/2" thick full bottom. I had built some drawer pull outs with 1/4" and thought it was too flimsy. I bought drawer stock from the hardwood store - this is prefinished half in plywood with a quarter inch slot for the drawer bottom. They make it in all sorts of lengths.

o

digguyjr, if you lived near me, I would hire you to help me make my cabinets as you did such an impressive professional job and your kitchen turned out beautiful! I love the appliances and floors also!

o

Absolutely gorgeous!

o

That is amazing.

o

gorgeous work! Your attention to detail would put alot of "professionals" to shame.

We finally uncrated our Rachiele sink this weekend. I can't wait to get it installed! And your granite is beautiful.

o

I'm awed by your kitchen and your modesty! Wow! You really did an amazing job, and the end result is anything but DIY!! It looks as professional as any kitchen I've seen.

I have to agree with your wife about needing pendants. I'm in my 50s, and just have to have a lot more light than I needed in the past. The island gets a lot of use, and it will be nice to have light where you need it and use it most. I like the pendants you are thinking about -- a very classic look to go with your lovely kitchen. I'd keep them small, but maybe have three, and put them on a dimmer of course.

Enjoy your beautiful kitchen! It took you only a year! Wow!

o

Absolutely stunning...

o

Wow wow wow. Love your cabinet hardware, counter material (whatever it is!) and SINK! Gorgeous.

You know when some people just don't deserve the nice things they have? I have a feeling this is definitely not one of those cases. Best wishes to you and your lovely family.

o

Holy smoke! Unbelievable, incredible, fantastic, gorgeous, super-duper, amazing!! Congratulations and many, many plaudits for making this beautiful kitchen come alive, bit by bit, with so much patience and skill.

You should moonlight as a cabinet maker; have you thought about getting a contractor's license? :-)

o

I LOVE it all! Fantastic...love the photos of your family too....the sweat equity will pay off! Excellent taste!!!

Best,
Pam

o

This is so inspiring. Like everyone else, just WOW. I hope you are enjoying and relaxing now in that kitchen.

And thanks so much for sharing the details of the materials and joinery you used to build the cabinets. I'm considering making a few boxes for our much tinier kitchen... any tips on keeping things as square as possible?

o

Hi Mousun, probably overkill, for the uppers I used full 3/4" backs which I dropped into dados all the way around the back of each box. I also tried to make sure that the sides and top/bottoms were exactly equal. Where I could cut wood together, I did. Also used my speed square a lot and had a couple of clamping squares.

On the bottoms, I partially backed with 3/4" ply in the same way I did the uppers.

My biggest mistake - while I leveled each cabinet on the lowers, I did not run my level across two cabinets at a time. So, they were out of level with each other even though my toekick and cabinet heights were the same within 1/16 of each other. The floor was a little uneven. This left a gap between the granite bottom and cabinet top in some places. I added extra shims to help reduce the possibility of cracking and covered the gap with some molding. The gap wasn't huge, but it bothered me enough to use the molding. And unless I pointed it out most probably wouldn't see it.

My island had the same issue as the other cabinets - which was strange to me as the island was one piece - so there really should not have been a gap. So, either the island top piece of ply must have been a little warped.

Hope your build goes well. Please post some pictures when you are finished.

o

Hi Mousun, probably overkill, for the uppers I used full 3/4" backs which I dropped into dados all the way around the back of each box. I also tried to make sure that the sides and top/bottoms were exactly equal. Where I could cut wood together, I did. Also used my speed square a lot and had a couple of clamping squares.

On the bottoms, I partially backed with 3/4" ply in the same way I did the uppers.

My biggest mistake - while I leveled each cabinet on the lowers, I did not run my level across two cabinets at a time. So, they were out of level with each other even though my toekick and cabinet heights were the same within 1/16 of each other. The floor was a little uneven. This left a gap between the granite bottom and cabinet top in some places. I added extra shims to help reduce the possibility of cracking and covered the gap with some molding. The gap wasn't huge, but it bothered me enough to use the molding. And unless I pointed it out most probably wouldn't see it.

My island had the same issue as the other cabinets - which was strange to me as the island was one piece - so there really should not have been a gap. So, either the island top piece of ply must have been a little warped.

Hope your build goes well. Please post some pictures when you are finished.

o

Uh oh, I got busted for solicitation! Pun intended, lol.

For those of you that voted for my kitchen in the CabinetNow facebook contest, thank you very much!

Moderators took down my posts on requesting your votes,

I guess I violated garden web rules. : (

Cheers everyone.

o

diyguyjr! What a beautiful kitchen! Amazing work that I'm sure you and your family must be so proud of!!!

Wondering how you got Habitat involved for removing your cabinets? I'm considering that but thought I'd have to demolish and deliver to them. Very curious about that. Thank you and hope you are enjoying your beautiful kitchen.

I'm loosing sleep on getting ready to start our reno! Wish it was over.

Thanks!

o

Hi Patty,

Actually Habitat was the easiest thing. You can check with your local office. If they have deconstruction services listed, then you should be in luck.

I contacted them, and they came to preview the kitchen to see what shape the cabinets and appliances were in. If they deem them useable, then for a small fee they remove the kitchen. So, they chipped up the old tile and bagged it and took everything else.

The only thing they did not do is remove the backsplash, and I needed to dump the chipped up tile myself and some of the old moldings. They had four guys here for about 5 hours.

Saved me a load of time and mess and most of the disposal - my fee was $150, and I got a big tax write-off for donating my cabinets and appliances.

Hope it works out for you, and good luck with your project!

Don't dread it - it's an adventure!

Eric

o

Your kitchen and office are both wonderful. You have some serious skills, and I hope a really good respirator. You must have been in your spray booth for awhile if you did all that at one time.

o

Your kitchen and office are both wonderful. You have some serious skills, and I hope a really good respirator. You must have been in your spray booth for awhile if you did all that at one time.

o

Hi Marti,

Actually, for the paint, we hired someone. However, I do have a good paint mask for some other things that I have done. :)

o

This just has to be bumped. While not everyone's kitchen will be as wonderful, as I read your posts, I find them encouraging to anyone on a kitchen journey of their own.

Oh ya' and it is "crazy good" - as my kids would say.

o

WOW - WOW!

o
RE: DIY Kitchen Reveal - New Pics Added.

Thanks for the "bump." It reminded me that I wanted to add a few more pics - ones that I had on my mobile. My phone camera is not the greatest. Enjoy.

Glad to be rid of this sink!
 photo 2012-12-11_16-48-34_736-1.jpg

Thanks Habitats!
 photo 2012-12-11_16-48-51_326-1.jpg

Where'd the kitchen go? Someone stole our kitchen!

photo 2012-12-11_17-09-01_878-1.jpg

photo 2012-09-29_13-13-11_163-1.jpg

photo 2013-01-04_19-29-32_820-1.jpg

photo 2012-12-30_13-55-27_729-1.jpg

photo 2012-12-29_17-30-40_148-1.jpg

photo 2012-12-22_12-41-38_727-1.jpg

Sawdust Angel!

photo 2012-07-08_17-23-50_14-1.jpg

photo 2012-07-08_17-25-13_43-1.jpg

photo 2012-07-06_16-55-28_650-1.jpg

photo 2012-07-28_18-42-41_932.jpg

photo 2012-09-02_16-51-47_870-1.jpg

photo 2012-08-12_10-26-08_682.jpg

photo 2012-07-17_11-54-13_314-1.jpg

photo 2012-07-14_15-21-55_368-1.jpg

photo 2012-07-17_11-54-34_330-1.jpg

photo IMG_20130618_173810_445-2.jpg

photo IMG_20130724_131508_577-1.jpg

photo IMG_20130505_132518_767.jpg

photo IMG_20130505_132511_941.jpg

o

Say, DIY guy... can you talk a bit about the construction/anchoring of the range hood? We're close to starting ours and want to make sure it stays together and attached to the wall securely. Our hood unit will be similar to yours except our cab will go all the way to the ceiling, so there is some nailing up there, too.

Any info or advice you could give on building ours would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

o

More than just complimenting you on your beautiful kitchen, I want to share my admiration for involving your sons in your remodeling project. It is impossible to really calculate the future "dividends" in terms of family life and personal growth. My husband lost his father at an early age and lacks the confidence and skills to tackle home projects...what he wouldn't give to have what your sons have gained.

o

I went and got one of those Kreg Pocket Hole Jigs and built a small project with it. It was easy to use and the project turned out really well. With what you were able to do on your kitchen and my intro to pocket hole jigs, it certainly has given me enough confidence to try building the cabinet boxes when we redo our master bath.

o

Post #100!!!! Lol. Party time!

Deedles - I mounted a few strips of plywood to the wall first - I made sure they were anchored well to the studs. I made a rectangular cradle for the hood insert. I dado'd out slots near the bottom of the cradle and mounted a thin strip of maple which I rounded on my router table. So in the bottom rectangle, the range hood insert just slid in and stopped where the rounded piece of molding is.

I also made some L-shaped struts that are mounted vertically and attached to the plywood strips. That's what you see mounted to the wall. I'll have to see if I can take a picture of the underside for you - so you can see the rounded bit of molding.

Once the bottom was mounted up, I built a box for the top to hide the exhausts.

Wish I had taken more pictures of this setup. I tried to find some plans/info on the web. There was not much - so right wrong/indifferent, I did my own thing. I just tried to make it secure. Once the side cabinets were up, added screws through the sides of the hood/side cabinets as well.

BTW, I would never use nails - screws are the way to go. Specifically GRK fasteners - these are awesome - they bite right in. Some come with washers built into the screw head that work really well.

Hope that helps. Best of luck with your kitchen!

o

Whoops. Post 101! Party time! Yay!.

gpraceman beat me on #100, lol.

Post some picks. Glad you like the Kreg. It's a pretty easy tool to use - almost like cheating . . .

o

1. I LOVE IT. Wow.

2. How great that it was a family project. And that they signed the wood...really cool, and they will always remember this experience!

3. Your dog. What a cutie. We are looking around on Petfinder at dogs, getting ready to bite the bullet, and yours is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. What breed or breeds is he? He is awesome looking!

o

diyguyjr,

Here's my little pocket hole project. Our local Awana Missionaries needed a donation/suggestion box so I built this for them. It is made out of some extra red oak that I had on hand. The back frame was pocket holed together. I also secured the bottom and top pieces to the sides with pocket holes. The front piece and the back frame have routed grooves that the side pieces are glued into. With all of that, it should be plenty strong.

photo IMAG0134_zps2e82d773.jpg

photo IMAG0135_zps1ced3c70.jpg

photo IMAG0136_zpsfc4b1f6b.jpg

o

Thank you for your post, I've forwarded it on to my DH. I'd love to see an underside shot if you can pull it off..., if not, no problem.

So one more question: I'm guessing that you screwed the range hood 'cradle' up into the bottom of the cabinet (or the cabinet down into the cradle) when you put the cab part up? Do you consider the cabinet to be part of the support for the hood cradle or just an attachment to it?

thanks again, really appreciate your time in this...

o

gpraceman, nice job! Just think bigger for the home projects. The master bath cabinet is probably a good warm up. You might want to look at some master bath cabinetry/vanties before you build-just so you can see at least how someone else did it.

Deedles - I have not had time to take shots of the underside/inside of my hood at least what you can still see. However, nothing is screwed in from the underside. The whole hood could stand alone against the wall - as you can see from the first picture of the hood. It is only held up by screws on the backside. When the side cabinets went up, I did add screws between the hood and the left and right cabinets,

o

one more thing gpraceman, one little headstart I got is that I had the lumber store make my first cut.. Mine does it for free. It made managing my 4x8 ply easier to handle even though my older son was around to help. Plus it made it easier to transport.

o

double post - delete

This post was edited by diyguyjr on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 13:55

o

gpraceman, nice job! Just think bigger for the home projects. The master bath cabinet is probably a good warm up. You might want to look at some master bath cabinetry/vanties before you build-just so you can see at least how someone else did it.

Deedles - I have not had time to take shots of the underside/inside of my hood at least what you can still see. However, nothing is screwed in from the underside. The whole hood could stand alone against the wall - as you can see from the first picture of the hood. It is only held up by screws on the backside. When the side cabinets went up, I did add screws between the hood and the left and right cabinets,

o

diyguyjr,

I'll definitely study up before I go tackling the master bath cabinets. I have a fold up trailer that can easily fit 4x8 sheets of plywood, drywall, etc., so I am good there. I also have a cabinet saw with an outfeed table that I built for it, to make it easier to cut up big sheets.

This post was edited by gpraceman on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 23:00

o

Hi Deedles - here are a few pics of the hood. Hope this helps. This is how I chose to do it - again, I wasn't able to find much of how others constructed theirs. So, this was my own thought up design.

Pics of the underside and some scraps which will show the cuts I did to create the lip on which the hood rests:

photo tn_IMG_9850.jpg

photo tn_IMG_9847.jpg

photo tn_IMG_9846.jpg

photo tn_IMG_9843.jpg

photo tn_IMG_9844.jpg

photo tn_IMG_9845.jpg

Inside - upper cross bar - notice the piece of plywood mounted to the wall first - so that I knew that I had attached securely to the wall:

photo tn_IMG_9841.jpg

o

Paintedpeggies - Charlie is a pointer spaniel mix. He is a rescue dog so we are not quite sure how old he is. Usually he is calm and quiet. Great with the kids. However, lately he will eat through anything that has food in it even when completely wrapped - we have to keep all backpacks out of his reach, lol.

o

Hey, thank you! That is very helpful... now we have a point of reference for how to proceed. I like the channel rather than just screwing to the frame, gives it a much more finished appearance. Very clever Mr. DIY.

o

Simply gorgeous! Great job, love your dog, too. He matches.

o

Just stumbled on this. WOW!!!! Absolutely gorgeous! My favorite part was how you included your boys. Continuing the tradition you and your dad shared of building and teaching. Forget the kitchen prize. I award you "Dad of the year!"

o

Glad to see that some of you have revived and still enjoy my reveal. Hope that everyone on the Garden Web has a happy new year and that you complete your renovations to your satisfaction whether DIY or contracted. Cheers!

o

Absolutely stunning!

o

OK - Thanks to CEFreeman's My Stupidly Expensive overly done kitchen, I have added a number of costs to my first post.

I shall now consider my reveal complete!

And after adding all of the costs, it was stupidly overly done and expensive, lol.

o

I think it was very kind of you to add your costs, although I completely understand when folks prefer not to.

I know you're kidding, but of course there's no way this was stupidly overdone. More like, dead on perfect for your family, on many levels. And expensive is one of those slippery relative terms!

Such a treat to have a reason to scroll through these beautiful and happy photos again. Thanks!

o

Thanks Mudhouse.

I was half joking about the stupidly overdone and expensive. I wanted to spend $35K, but wound up close to $40K. And I could have gotten away for a lot less. . . .costs overran about $1K on paint, $2K on granite for going full backsplash as I didn't like any other alternatives, $500 in tools that I either broke or thought I needed, $1K replaced dishwasher where I was going to reuse the old one.

It wasn't the cabinets that caused all the expense, but all the nice appliances, sink and fixtures I found out about from this forum. Never thought i would be spending $3+K on the kitchen sink - but just had to have it.once i saw it, same for the range top. Haha - so I have all of you to blame. : )

o

More than halfway joking, I'd hope!

Ah, didn't you know, tools don't count in expenses? You can never have too many tools, especially when you can use them with the skills you have.

o

DYIGUYJR, I just found this, and have to agree with the others that your kitchen is awesome, and your skill is outstanding. I thought the cabinets were gorgeous before you had them painted, but the finished kitchen is master quality.

If I could just fly you here, my DH would be very happy to let you take over our kitchen project! Seriously, you were very patient and helpful to answer all of those questions. Thanks!

o

Thanks Colorcrazy. Hope it helped. I don't think my wife would let me escape to help your DH.

Hope everything goes well on yours. Your DH will get it done. Just get a cattle prod, lol.

Hope everyone has a nice Memorial Day Weekend. Cheers everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here