Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bravodesign

Slide in Range Dilemma with Countertop - Please Advise

BravoDesign
10 years ago

Today I chose and paid for my countertop so they can begin cutting and I'm having the Ogee Edge.

I was about to purchase the GE slide in range when something just dawned on me. When the range slides in the sides of the range will overlap the countertops on the side, and the front of the stove will "hook" onto the front of the countertop. The front of the range goes over the front edge of countertop. However, this may look appropriate with a flat edged countertop only because I can't imagine this looking appropriate with an ogee edge or any molded edge for that matter.

In this picture you can see where the front corner of one side of the range goes over the front countertop edge. Can anyone here confirm this will be perfectly OKAY with an Ogee Edge? Wouldn't there be "gaps" between the range and the countertop edge if it were an Ogee Edge?

Comments (29)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

That's where having a quality counter fabricator comes in. You have him do a 3/4" flat edge next to the range, for the lip to go over. Then it transitions to the ogee edge. In the hands of a lesser fabricator, that can be a disaster, as the two edges are completely different depths of the stone. It's also where the accuracy of the cabinet install comes into question. If something is the least bit out of level, it will be magnified there. Also, if the stone itself is different thicknesses from one edge to the other (very possible) It will also be obvious. Many exotic slabs coming to market these days can be not quite the quality that stones used to be.

You might choose a freestanding range like a GE Cafe or a pro model. You might choose a less decorative detail and let the stone's appearance be the star. You might choose a different fabricator who has experience with this that he can show you. Whatever you choose, if you want to make sure things have the possibility of working out here, you should check the level of the cabinets yourself with a 4' level. Front to back. Side to side. And you should use a dial caliper to check the thickness of the stone also. In several sections. If one of the variables is off, then the whole install will be in question.

• laurajane02
    10 years ago

In that photo, it looks like the counter may be flush with the cabinets (no overhang). You might want to check if it's just the ogee edge that will be an issue, or will the overhang prevent your range from sliding all the way in.

My range is the same as this photo (jsweenc's kitchen), and currently sticks out a bit because I don't have the notch in my counter (just like the photo). If I leave it as is, I have a standard sized opening for my range, so I could replace with anything down the road. I'm still debating, but planning to live with it as is for a while to see if I forget about the issue.

With a proper notch in counters:

• BravoDesign
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies.
    I like the GE Café and it would be the fix but it does not have that built-in look as the slide in Profile.

I'm surprised nobody else here has come across the same dilemma? What was the fix or did you just leave it alone?

Anymore options?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I ran into one of the problems mentioned by live_oak_wire. We had already ordered a KA slide in range, then realized that the counter top on the left of the cut out extended out slightly farther than the counter top on the right. A mistake by the granite fabricators, but the granite was already in and that was that. To use the slide in range we'd chosen meant that it would fit differently on one side than the other where the front of the range fits against the counter edge.

We have a pencil edge counter top and I don't think I would have selected a slide-in-range if I'd had a fancier edge. In any event, we decided to pass on the slide in range and went for a free-standing unit instead.

• BravoDesign
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jelly is your range electric?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

No, it's gas. No regrets on going with the free-standing.

• BravoDesign
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeh I wish I can get free standing because i love the look of the ge cafe and lg but they don't go over the countertops on the sides, and because it's glass smooth top all crumbs and liquids i assume will always escape through the space between stovetop and countertop. The gas free standing is nkt smooth top so bot really an issue with these.

I'm still very confused and find it difficult to believe nobody else was in the same situation here.

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

I had the same issue. I ordered the slide in dual fuel range and when it was installed, it seemed to project past the cabinets more than expected. Had the counters been flush with the cabs it might have been even but the fabricator put about 1.5" overhang. I thought it might be a mistake so asked a friend who had a similar range installed recently and hers was the same. I don't even notice it anymore but I have the 1/4 round counter edge.

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago

We just did a 1/4 round profile for our quartz counters, and have a slide in Elux range. So there's no gap. We didn't do the notches as per laurajane02's photo. I'd ask the fabricator what could be done.

• better2boutside
    10 years ago

dont forget to verify the finished height to the top of the counter top vs the height flexibility of the silde in range. I have seen several situations where the range wont reduce below 36"... most counter tops now are 1 1/4" so the OA finished height is 35 3/4", thus the range sticks up 1/4" above the counter top.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

There are millions of freestanding ranges like the Café in use without people pouring quarts of hot soup in between their edges and the cabinets. It's really not an issue at all.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I don't think anything is going to go down between the sides of my range and the counter top. It is a tight fit!! I think some free-standing ranges come with an option of a finishing kit that can address that issue, though, if your space is so large that you think it would be a problem. I believe Viking and Dacor both have that option. Not sure about their electric units as I only looked at gas. Might be worth looking into.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 17:05

• BravoDesign
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies, they helped immensely make my decision. I went out and purchased the LG slide in (better called free standing) range instead of the GE Café. I love the knobs and the interior blue.
    Here is the link http://www.lg.com/ca_en/wall-ovens-ranges/lg-LSE3090ST

Jelly, wow that's a real tight fit. How in the world did they get it in there and will it be difficult getting it out in case you wanted to clean or replace the range?

I was thinking of leaving 1/8" gap and putting silicone. Is 1/8" too big? I just don't want to run into issues of putting and removing the range.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

It's tight, but the range slid right in and when we had to move it to make an adjustment to the back, it slid right out again. It helped that the range itself was square and so was the opening. A little more space would have been ideal, but we got lucky. I have noticed that the specs for ranges and the actual dimensions can vary, so keep that in mind. Some manufactures will specify a 30 1/8 inch opening, some will say 30 1/6, and others will specify 30 inches only ... all for a 30-inch range. I would say that 1/16 of an inch leeway on either side of your range would be ample but not too big.

• mamagoo
    10 years ago

I bought a GE slide in range and choose the flat edge on my granite purposely so that it would fit flat to the edge. Well it does, but the stove is higher than the granite so I have a gap along the sides! I tried lowering the legs, but the legs will only go down so far. I hate the thought of having this 1/4" smooth top not lying onto the granite. That is why I chose the flat edge. I called GE, they told me not to remove the legs because of warrantly issues. Whenever I have a spill over on the stove, I see the liquid going under the smooth top and it is driving me crazy!!

• winnie_chan000
    8 years ago

If I have 1/8 inch gap between countertop and slide in range, can I put grout to seal it? I think the countertop on the left side and right side has about 1/16 - 1/8 height difference. Any idea what I can do?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Lower the feet as far as possible so the range is level, yet still not bearing on the countertop. You could push a light bead of silicone in the gap if it makes you feel better which will have to be cut and scraped off every time the range is removed. No grout, please.

• winnie_chan000
    8 years ago

Do u mean the caulking silicone with white color? Thanks

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

I mean whichever color caulk looks the best as far as color match. I'd suggest a translucent Axiom available at www.daniclamp.com

• winnie_chan000
    8 years ago

Thanks Joseph! Will silicone caulking melt easily when the area heat up? Is it easily get cleaned if there's oils and food stain?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago
    No problems.
  • landrillo2
    8 years ago

I'm interested in same issue. I want to buy the GE cafe slide in until I realized it's not really a slide in (w/overlapping rims). The profile is slide in but doesn't have the baking drawer. Question: we want to put it in a peninsula, with granite around it. Since we would be buying oven before putting in new counters and cabinets, is there a way to build it such to eliminate side and back spaces with counter/granite. I hate the idea of buying a new oven and remodeling and having to grind down feet.

• gotgoatmilk
    8 years ago

My slide in with oggee edge

• landrillo2
    8 years ago

Oh. So the counter edge is at an angle and goes under it? Is the only edge that it would work with? Thanks for posting a picture.

• gotgoatmilk
    8 years ago

The stove slid in over the counter. We pushed it as flush as it would go. Works and looks just fine. I really like having the stove over the counter as you don't lose crumbs and crud in between.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

landrillo2:

You only have to grind down feet if the distance between your finished floor and countertop doesn't fall between the variables set by the appliance manufacturer. Since you're doing all new, this shouldn't be a problem.

• landrillo2
    8 years ago

Thanks.

• 2christene
    6 years ago

gotgoatmilk

How many inches does your range stick out past the cabinets? By your picture it looks like about 4"-6".

Also, do you have a filler piece of granite behind the range?

I have a white enamel slide in gas range that I would like to up date with a KA.

Not sure how I would like it sticking out.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz