Houzz Logo Print
jaynes123_gw

Prep Sink - your vote please: 1, 2 or 3

jaynes123_gw
9 years ago

**********PLEASE DISREGARD *****************

Since creating this post, Ive done a 180 on "NO BLANCO" since that exactly what I will be getting. Thanks to all who advised against acryllic, especially ardcp and cal_quail.

Really needed to be hear it cuz the penny wise, dollar foolish part of me was winning this morning and has since been quarantined, allowing us to shop Blanco in peace .

(prior post deleted)

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 17:07

Comments (13)

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(prior post deleted)

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 17:08

• Bridget19
    9 years ago

#2- I like a classic shape

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Another vote for # 2. Fits in with your overall kitchen look and the main sink shape. Are your prep faucets squarish or curved?

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i researched composite sinks for my reno and i do remember people having issues with acrylic sinks. i personally love my blanco silgranite so number 3 would be my vote.
    as an aside, i didn't pay very much more for my main silgranite sink than your number 3 prep sink. i went to a plumbing supply center and they were much cheaper than lowes/ HD for the blanco. blanco's website has a list of retailers by zipcode.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    9 years ago

My stainless steel prep sink is one of my favorite things in my kitchen. It was worth every penny (the plumbing was not cheap!).

Round is cool but just not practical -- stick with the traditional shape -- #2.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I know, budget-creep and all, but if you like your Blanco and aren't opposed to ordering online, here's my vote for JUST over $200.

Free shipping, and not sure about tax. And I've heard good things about build.com.

ETA: Okay, I saw $185 in your post and was going to say this was about $40 more, less tax, etc. But I see the ones you found are less than that. But, this is just over your $200 cut. How long will you be in this house? Think long term.

Here is a link that might be useful: first online place I looked

This post was edited by cal_quail on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 10:01

• athomesewing
    9 years ago

Here's my opinion: Do Not choose acrylic for a prep sink. It might be okay for a powder room.

Acrylic scratches very easily. I would be leary about pouring boiling water down one -- will you ever drain pasta there?

Love the round shape, that's what I decided on, however a bit more and get a sink that can handle the kitchen use.

There are some great options shown above. We got a Kohler Porto Fino which is a round enameled cast iron model. Of course there are lots of options in stainless sinks too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Porto Fino

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I would opt for a rectangular sink for better function and non-acrylic.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

~~~ MUCHO THANKS FOR THE NUDGE I NEEDED ~~~
    ~~~ GUESS WHAT IVE BEEN DOING TODAY? ~~~

I already have and am returning an in box stainless prep sink with faucet complete $100, very nice but just could not warm up to the SS, despite the savings.

I do NOT need another prep sink post-purchase regret.

SO ..... Will continue keeping an eye out for budgeting
    BUT... Going Blanco prep sink

Notice I didnt need much of a push to reverse my "NO BLANCO" LOL

I'd read some negs on acrylic - was justifying wouldnt be as bad with black but still had hidden reserverations on them.

An regarding my inquiry of guess what Ive been doing today, researching several Blanco prep styles this afternoon ...

.... with peace of mind. Again, big thanks!

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 17:10

• jgopp
    9 years ago

I like #2

• brightm
    9 years ago

LOL Jaynes 123. Happy to spend other people's money any time. ;)

Virtually any time we've done something to the house, if we waffled and skimped, we've regretted it. I'm not letting that happen in this kitchen.

Do you ever watch Love It Or List It? Those people know their existing house is going to get a big bump in value with what they're doing. There's always some catastrophe that makes them not able to go ahead with their plan. And no one (maybe one over the time I've watched...speaking of the old one, not the new one) kicks in the extra money and says they want to give their existing house a fighting chance to make them happy. That's my reaction every. time. I'm trying to remember that with this reno.

BTW, I don't remember how far along you are, which Blanco your main sink is/will be or what kind of a kitchen you're coming out of since you deleted your other stuff. My Diamond Super Single is sitting in it's open box in my entry hall. It's a bathtub. It's enormous. I can not imagine that this will be my kitchen sink. Inconceivable.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cal_quail

Still sitting in the box in your house? Your an amateur - after waiting weeks for main Blanco to arrive, its sat at Lowes since Tuesday. (plus two toilets waiting for us at HDepot). Boyfriends not an after work guy, always Saturday, Saturday. Big day tomorrow LOL

Ive not seen the show but good thing to remember - saving money should feel good and will when its on what you want anyway. If its not, it wont matter only when the item doesnt matter. Unfortunately only a few of those and sinks not one.

We are very premature- the exterior/ wiring / insulations just being finished but we've been on a mission to buy everything we could before our credit card's 5% quarterly cashback for home improvement ended June 30th.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgot to answer - mines also a Diamond Super Single too, love that side drain. Didnt realize was so large as our current is double - imagine without divider, as one whole sink it will seem big.

BTW That 15x15x8 Blanco was one I'd also initially found / passed on. Its $200+ looked even better after I found slightly larger Blancos today were in mid/ high $300s.

YET one of those costlier larger (21x18x9) ones, #440079 I I almost disregarded when I found it at Build for $285 - SOLD! I may have spent $100 more but I kind of saved $100 too,