Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tofu_dog

tofu_dog's 99.9% finished kitchen

tofu_dog
15 years ago

Hi there. Haven't posted much since two years ago, when I posted our bathroom remodel. Just like the bathrooms forum was indispensable in planning and designing our bathroom in 2006, the kitchen forum gave us tons of ideas for updating our kitchen. I really appreciate the thoughtful input of the folks on this forum, which helped us maximize the use of our limited space and greatly improve its ergonomics. Construction was completed today. The only thing left at this point is to clear our final inspections and refinish the floors.

Our kitchen is fairly compact, a typical size for a San Francisco Victorian flat built in 1892. It's an efficient 10' x 11' galley style floorplan, open to the dining room on one end and the deck on the other. We did all the planning and design ourselves and relied on a general contractor to execute it. Everything from the old 1980s kitchen was taken out, except for the more recent soap dispenser. We resold all the old appliances, fixtures, and cabinet hardware on Craigslist. We also made ample use of Craigslist, eBay, and online vendors to acquire appliances and materials. In fact, the new range, used (but pristine) hood, and countertop fabricator all came by way of Craigslist, saving us megabucks.

Inspiration, influences, and ideas that came straight from this forum:

• Lots of drawers in base cabinets

• Blumotion on hinges and drawers
  • Range hood instead of OTR microwave
  • Fluorescent undercabinet lighting
  • Trash/recycling pullout
  • KitchenAid dishwasher
  • Never-MT

Additional details:

• Range: Viking 30' self-cleaning, sealed burner

• Range hood: Viking 30', 600 cfm (rebadged Vent-a-Hood)
  • Dishwasher: KitchenAid S Series
  • Refrigerator: KitchenAid 36' French door bottom freezer
  • Cabinets: IKEA Adel Medium Brown
  • Hardware: IKEA Lansa
  • Faucet: Kohler Forte
  • Countertops: 16-gauge stainless steel
  • Sink: Integral 36' double-bowl sink (Dawn ASU107R, welded in)
  • Undercabinet lights: Pegasus Thin Inch fluorescent
  • Recessed lights: ELCO 4' 26W fluorescent
  • Backsplash: 4' integral stainless steel plus 2'x12' and 4'x12' frosted glass tile
  • Trash pullout: Rev-A-Shelf 5349 double 35 quart

Here is a link that might be useful: tofu_dog's Kitchen Remodel Gallery

Comments (35)

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Oh, wow! What a beautiful kitchen! I love what you have done. It looks great! Congrats! Looks like you made grat use of the limited space. You should be very proud.

I love the glass tile. It is beautiful! I love the "smaller" glass tile and then the larger subway glass tile. Is that how it comes? Great idea to break it up if you thought of it on your own.

Beautiful Ikea cabs as well. Congrats again. Great job!

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Love your cabinets and hardware. Great job!

• ni_2006
    15 years ago

I am drooling....what a beautiful kitchen! Love everything about it!!! Well done!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Very lovely kitchen! Two thumbs up on the backsplash, and rockin' Ikea cabs. Although not typically a fan of stainless steel, I'm awed by your integrated sink and countertops. Beautiful job!

• mmme
    15 years ago

Can you give more details on the backsplash? I'd particularly love to know the brand.

Absolutely gorgeous kitchen, by the way!

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

Wow! Love the glass tile backsplash & SS counters! Congrats on a beautiful kitchen!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

It looks terrific! LOOOOVE the glass tile splash ;-) What is it--who makes it--where can I find it?

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

Just beautiful! What an incredible difference between the before and after photos! Great job!

Patti

• rosie
    15 years ago

Very nice! It's always great to see a classy kitchen produced with reasonably priced cabinets. I love your stainless counter, a real timeless detail, with the modernity of what must be lovely frosted glass tile. and as always for me, that door leading directly outside; such a nice feature... Happy cooking.

• wallycat
    15 years ago

WOW. Just WOW.
    You have the stainless counters I would sell an arm for!!!
    DH is convinced this will put us overbudget but I want them so badly I am willing to use vinyl flooring to cut back *gasp* somewhere.
    May I ask where you got your stainless? Any info is appreciated. I've had someone send me some local info for Washington state and just want to explore all my options.
    THANKS for sharing! GORGEOUS. Makes me rethink my cream-colored cabinets I wanted. Sigh.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Very handsome kitchen. Classy.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Great job pulling everything together. I like the way you stacked the cabs in the sink area. As others have said, the stainless counters and backsplash are terrific! Congratulations!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

LOVE the double overhead cabs. That's a terrific idea.

I'd also like to be added to the list of folks who want to know more about those glass tiles.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

It's perfect!! I love the SS counters (I hope mine look as good!) and the cabinets are gorgeous. Everything is nicely understated and rich. Great Job!

• gshop
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! What a great job you did! I love the height of the cabinets in the small area and they go great with the modern SS counters. The backsplash is to die for, great choice! Congratulations!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

That is one sleek, sharp modern kitchen. Great job. Really like what you did.

• tofu_dog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again, everyone! Thanks for all the great comments! This kitchen remodel was a long time coming, and it took two months to complete it, but it feels like it was well worth it.

A lot of folks have commented about the backsplash. It was really a last minute change of plan that occurred halfway through construction. We had already decided to proceed with the 4" integrated stainless backsplash a while back, but we decided the glass tile would add a little more pizazz and give it a more finished look. Glad we did it!

The pattern is our own (not a mosaic), and we arrived at it after toying around with a bunch of patterns on the computer. Our overall look tries to straddle traditional and modern, so we went with a more traditional brick pattern using the more modern glass.

The tile itself is a combination of 2"x12" and 4"x12", from a manufacturer called Architectural Mosaic & Tile. The style is "Snow White Matte." We picked the tile up from Ceramic Tile Design in San Francisco.

We found our stainless steel countertop fabricator on Craigslist of all places. It's a small business in San Francisco called Industrialists. The stainless steel fabrication process takes some patience. It took four weeks from the time our cabinets were installed and the measurements taken to the time the countertops were installed. They did a great job, though, and we are quite happy with them!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

That is amazing. Very beautiful. Love the counters, the cabinets, the tile, and the floor!

• cdave
    15 years ago

Wow I had no idea IKEA cabinets were that nice! The counter tops are perfect.

• maydl
    15 years ago

"WOW. Just WOW."

Triple ditto that! I love everything you've done. The backsplash is stunning. I'm sure the floor will turn out to be the crowning touch. And I love the peek of the Victorian roof next door just past your modern kitchen.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Congrats on your beautiful new kitchen!
    Barb

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

This goes to show how you can appreciate a style that is not your own. Generally, I'm not a big fan of SS, but your kitchen is lovely. Your integral sink and SS countertop are gorgeous! Everything looks so pretty together!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

What a lovely kitchen. Question about your adel medium brown cabinets. I've been looking at those for our kitchen, but was concerned about the birch edge banding showing through on the upper cabinets. Did you change out the edge banding or just live with the lighter color?

Again, beautiful kitchen!

• tofu_dog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes. It's true. The birch edge banding does indeed show through both the uppers and the lowers. But you kind of have to really look for it to really notice it, and you have to be staring at it head on, since from any other angle, the thickness of the doors covers it up. I think it's really a matter of how much tolerance you have for such things.

IKEA isn't custom, so you do have these trade offs; it depends on what's important to you, and how much of a budget you're working with. For us, living with these idiosyncrasies was worth the thousands of dollars we saved on cabinets, and it allowed us to splurge a bit more on other parts of the kitchen.

One thing I will say is that IKEA cabinets are kind of chameleon-like; they take on the character of what's around them. If you surround them with higher-end appliances and finishes, they look higher end. If you surround them with cheaper stuff, they look cheaper. Just my two cents.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Very creative use of IKEA cabinets.

A question: what is the height of your ceiling? And what are heights of double-row wall cabinets?

• tofu_dog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Our ceilings are 11' high. That's pretty high by today's standards, but I've seen higher in other San Francisco Victorians.

Each row of wall cabinets is 30" tall. The combined height is around 62", though, since there's an added deco strip at the bottom to conceal the undercabinet lights. We were a bit worried at first about going so high on the cabinets; we thought it might weigh the room down and make things a bit claustrophobic, but it worked out quite well. Stopping the wall cabinets well short of the ceiling preserved the full "footprint" of the ceiling, maintaining a more open feel. The added storage is a big plus, since we cook and entertain frequently, and our kitchen is small!

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Thanks Tofu_dog,
    That is what I thought - your nice wall layout would not work for our standard 8' ceiling :0( Personally, I think that the propotion is great. It does not weigh the room down at all. You have great taste!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Love the clean look & beautiful backsplash!

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Very clean and sleek. Night and day. My wife would probably say "too masculine". Fortunately we do a pretty good job of compromising.

I hope this doesn't come across as criticism, but your refrigerator stands out quite a bit. The pictures where I couldn't see it looked better to me. Was there a way to do something more subtle, perhaps drawers?

Is that a porch out the door? Hope there's a grill on it.

• simoneb
    15 years ago

Wow, cool fridge!

• tofu_dog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The photo perspective somewhat exaggerates the size of the fridge, but chipshot is right. The refrigerator was somewhat of a design dilemma for us, but it was a relatively easy decision nonetheless. Our kitchen is small, so potential refrigerator locations were quite limited. The abundance of windows and doors in the room make the room very bright, but also restrict floorplan options. Basically, we couldn't put the fridge anywhere except where it ended up, sandwiched between two windows.

We were bursting at the seams with our old 30" fridge, so an upgrade in capacity was a must. The counter-depth fridges were 20% more expensive for 20% less capacity, so function triumphed over form. We love our new obese fridge, even though it sticks out past the cabinets.

• na_praha
    15 years ago

Just saw this on the FKB - missed it here somehow. You've done an amazing job and very resourcefully. The doubling up of the cabinets is inspired, as is the backsplash. So cool.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Just absolutely gorgeous! Great use of space. Cabs look fabulous! Love the warm rich color. Also love your stove. Who makes it? Great job!

• theresab1
    15 years ago

WOW! fabulous kitchen and home- love everything you've done- congrats!

• redroze
    15 years ago

It looks wonderful!!! Those cabinets are to-die-for.