Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dean_i

Our Dream Kitchen Finished

Dean_I
12 years ago

Well it was a long hard road which involved us flying 1000km's down and back in one day to chose our granite, driving 150km's a few times to talk to the Stone Mason but it was all worth it (well we think anyway lol).

Originally we were going to go with standard cupboards and a Pearly Shores Quantam Quartz benchtop. What we ended up with was Tupac, Granite, and soft close drawers and cupboards. So happy we spent the extra. Here's some finished pics.

Comments (68)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What an amazing kitchen--so bright and open. Fresh twist on the lacquer cabinet kitchens I so admired in the 80's. Very well done! Enjoy!

• kmmh
    12 years ago

It's is beautiful--congratulations!!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Wow! Absolutely stunning! I love the waterfall island counters and the beautiful modern cabinets and hardware. Looks amazing and function. Thanks for sharing.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love how this all came together so perfectly. I love how you have the sleekness of the cabs and tile paired with the organic looking stone. The waterfall returns on the granite are fabulous with the stone's pattern. That feature alone makes it really special with the added panache. I like everything else as well, of course. We did the waterfall for the back ledge of our island and everyone looked at us like we were odd for doing it when we'd try to explain it. Even my dh was skeptical. Of course, in person, it is something that most people comment on loving now, lol. Ours is less dramatic because our counters are not as spectacular as yours but I still think it was one of our better decisions.
    I love the sheen you have going on with the lines of your kitchen. Your kitchen really has a great vibe to it. This is not a typical white or even "GW" kitchen. Its look is so clean & sleek yet warm.

• freckles
    12 years ago

Really really well done - wow! The thought that went into the kitchen is very evident. Thanks for sharing it! :)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I just went through this again... it's even more beautiful the 2-3rd time. The bookmatched stone is amazing! Congratulations on such a special kitchen... just love it.

• Redhead47
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. So beautiful & clean. Love the granite, & you kept it definitely the star of the kitchen. Your kitchen looks like it could be in a magazine!

• raro
    12 years ago

Gorgeous and unique. I'd love to cook in this fabulous kitchen. Thanks for posting.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Love, Love it!!!!!! There's not one thing I'd change.

Nancy

• clg7067
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I wish it was mine. ;)

• enduring
    12 years ago

Wonderful kitchen. I appreciated davidro 1's narrative of elements & details in your beautiful kitchen.

• sas95
    12 years ago

Very unique and just beautiful!

• catherine_l
    12 years ago

WOW! That's a beauty! Congratulations!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Like something out of Architectural Digest!

• ptamom
    12 years ago

Tres chic!

• celineike
    12 years ago

Very Sleek and Modern! Beautiful!

I love the backsplash.

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

Oh sweet laquered shine! What an amazing space, thoughtfully designed and beautifully executed. The travel was worth it for that granite... it's a work of art unto itself. Please enjoy!

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Nice! No. Verrry, verrry nice! Superb, even! Sigh.

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Your granite is incredible! Love what you've created.

• sochi
    12 years ago

oh my! I love love love it. Well done, it is really fantastic. I love the floors! Thank you for sharing, your kitchen made my day. Enjoy!

• marcy96
    12 years ago

Wow! That is gorgeous! It should be in a magazine! I love all your choices - Congrats and enjoy!

• lolonwood
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love your cabinet pulls and that granite is spectacular.

• advanced
    12 years ago

Stunning granite.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Really beautiful.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

I have to second Schoolhouse's thought that your kitchen looks like it should be in Architectural Digest! It's so beautiful! You've thought out every detail so thoroughly and the result is a kitchen with beautiful symmetry and aesthetics as well as being wonderfully functional. My favorite details (if I had to choose) would be the symmetry, your granite and the waterfall design, stainless toekicks, and the stools. I'm sure you and your family will be smiling every time you walk in for many months/years to come--enjoy!

I would love to see how you set up your corner pantry, if you get a chance. I'm hoping it would give me some ideas for my pantry. TIA!

• Dean_I
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for all the comments. My wife was pleased to read them all this morning to let her know what a great job we've done.

Thank you for the wonderful narative "davidro1". You pretty much came up with every detail we included in the designing of the kitchen. I'm out of town for a few days unfortunately, but will take some more detailed photo's of pantry/cabinets etc when i get home.

You hit the nail on the head with the Island powerpoints too. If you look at the 4th picture, the top drawer on the left hand side of the dishwasher actually hinges down to reveal 2 power points recessed back about 200mm, which allows us to still use appliances on the Island bar concealing the power points. You can actually run the power cords out the right hand side of that drawer and it nearly closes all the way back up.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone. It's great to know that it's being appreciated. For us, the cabinetmakers, and the stone masons.

Dean.

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Wowza! So sleek and sophisticated! That is one grown-up space--love it!

I love that granite--it is spectacular, and those stools are just TOO COOL, yet they look like they'd be comfortable! All the glossiness and reflective surfaces give it such polish and make it looks so cleeeeeean.

Congratulations on such beautiful execution of your dream kitchen!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

THe granite reminds me of a tiger's stripes! Wow. Love the stools, too. Everything is amazing.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

INCREDIBLY lovely! And from a typical white marble/inset cabinet GWer with a true appreciation for contemporary design. You did an amazing job!

• westsider40
    12 years ago

Really gorgeous. Fresh and crisp and welcoming and clean and wonderful, thoughtful design.

A fine example of unique design so well suited to the room. All the details are great. I love modern. I love yours.

• muskokascp
    12 years ago

Congrats on a wonderful kitchen. Love the clean modern lines. I keep coming back to the post to look at it again and again. Would you mind sharing the details on the cabinet pulls? I think the TKO'ers here would appreciate the details for the whole kitchen.Do tell!!

• muskokascp
    12 years ago

bump

• Dean_I
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry muskokascp, i've been held up at work this week and won't be home for another 5 days, i'll post the full specs when i get a chance. I'll get the missus to msg me the name of the handles to start with.

• houseful
    12 years ago

This is absolutely fabulous! Totally magazine worthy! Congratulations!

• lagrant
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! The granite chosen (called Prada Gold around here on the East Coast of the US) was a top contender when I was doing my kitchen. I did opt for marble, but used Prada in a nearby powder room on the wall with a wall mount faucet. I just adore seeing the large slab in your kitchen, however, with all of the movement.

Fantastic space planning. You should be quite proud!

• TattyCuts
    12 years ago

Jaw dropping kitchen, BEAUTIFUL.

• petra66_gw
    12 years ago

What a wonderful, sleek modern kitchen! I love that granite wrapped around the island!

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I keep looking at this lustily!
    Anyone care to hazard a gentle guess as to the cost of something so lovely, sleek, functional, calming??

• Dean_I
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So i finally managed to get some time off work and got the pictures people where wondering about.

First off the hidden power point in the island bar.

And closed.

Flwrs_n_co - Here's the 5 sided 1200mm corner pantry.

muskokascp - The pulls are from Tekform. There web page can be found here -
    "Tekform Handles"

Our handles are the 7141 Series.

Will get back later with the appliance descriptions if people are still interested.

• vinesandroses
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning and very Australian. I think a lot of Americans may not realize that virtually all new Australian kitchens are very sleek, modern and European in style. I have not seen one new kitchen in a traditional style over here. We chose the same style cabinets, almost chose the same hardware, but went with a Quantum Quartz benchtop - a bit boring compared to yours. Is your backsplash Gasparre polished porcelain in Gris? It looks very similar to ours. Congratulations on your fantastic choices.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Will you please show us inside your pantry?

The whole thing is beautiful.

• Dean_I
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was in the process of taking the pictures for you the other day and the missus flipped out cause she thought it was messy. Will get her to clean it up a bit tomorrow and take some pics.

• Wanda18
    12 years ago

WOW - Your kitchen is absolutely amazing. Enjoy it in good health.

• ccintx
    12 years ago

Yes, I second that on posting views of the inside of the pantry and the clever ideas I bet you used! Your kitchen is amazing.

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

Wow, fabulous! Great job.

• aprilmack
    12 years ago

Your flooring is fabulous! Can you please share details about the brand/type of flooring. Thanks.

• elee325
    11 years ago

I realize this post is an older one, but just had to comment. The kitchen looks beautiful with the excellent choice of granite. I was leaning towards a quartzite because I couldn't find a granite that really caught my attention. But with the uncertainty of quartzite, now as I am hearing various things, I have been hesitant of using a quartzite although I love the way it looks.

This has certainly shown me that granite can look stunning in a kitchen and keep it looking modern and clean.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I had typed my comment, then looked at your site again before I posted it and found that Davidrol had stolen it word for word. So, ''Ditto.''

But, also:
    I don't call DH in very often to admire a kitchen. I did on yours.
    There is no higher praise than this: he asked to see it again!!
    And that, sir and madam, is a record.

Thank you for posting a lovely room. I wish you could post pictures of each drawer opened to reveal it's hidden delights.

Sandra

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

I'm a huge granite fan and I think your granite choice makes the kitchen. The whole thing looks beautiful. CONGRATS!!

• cardamon
    11 years ago

It's just perfect. Love it. So clean, sleek and well I just love it. Happy kitchen to you- enjoy your lovely space. I have to say I was impressed by Davidrol 1 interpretation of your kitchen. Great job!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!