Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our Dream Kitchen Finished

Posted by Dean_I (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 3:36

Well it was a long hard road which involved us flying 1000km's down and back in one day to chose our granite, driving 150km's a few times to talk to the Stone Mason but it was all worth it (well we think anyway lol).

Originally we were going to go with standard cupboards and a Pearly Shores Quantam Quartz benchtop. What we ended up with was Tupac, Granite, and soft close drawers and cupboards. So happy we spent the extra. Here's some finished pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our Dream Kitchen Finished

Nice! It has a certain style/feel to it that I like.

o

Definitely a twist on the GW white kitchen! Congrats! Love your floor tile. What part of the country are you in? Why so much driving? Sounds like quite a story! Enjoy that beautiful kitchen XO

o

That's beautiful! Congratulations on your stunning new kitchen.

o

Thanks! Were from Australia. And the closest Granite factory is 1000km's away. So glad we went there though. Got the exact pieces we wanted

o

A real stunner! I love it.

o

Fantastic! Enjoy cooking and entertaining in your new kitchen!

o

Wow! That really is stunning! The design elements work so well together, but that gorgeous granite is the star. Love the waterfalls on the island. Congratulations!

BTW - I see green grass, trees with leaves, and sunshine outside your glass door. Is that what winter looks like where you live? Lucky!

o

It's very sparkly. It feels like a show room or some sort of elegant lounge space.

o

I like how the stools add some "roundness" to the space. Really nice.

o

Beautiful! Your granite island is gorgeous, your fabricator did a great job!! Is the backsplash glass tiles?

o
Beautiful

I love your new kitchen. It is fantastic!

o

So sleek! Beautiful!

o

i see that a lot of thought went into this. If my kitchen had a larger footprint this is similar to what i would have built. A lot of the functionality is built in architecturally instead of applied on top. I'll highlight some of the unusual aspects:

drawer handles that don't catch garments.

floor tiles with a subtle echo to these drawer handles.

reflective surfaces, maximizing light.

a "recessed" appliance garage. A useable counter sliver in front of it. (9"?) This is a big change (from the norm, and from the easiest). It makes the cooktop area less cramped, more open and unusual. In the third picture, this is what i see, along with the veining in the stone.

a rolltop cover. The cover is white!

all-drawers. I figure the sink drawers are 30 inches high.

drawer heights all lined up. Straight sight lines. Easy on the eyes. (The loss is not a big deal: one may have to lay a blender on its side, and do a few other things to compensate, like storing some large items somewhere else.)

a slim cooking exhaust air extraction "panel" not a visible hood. I'll guess that it slides out when in use.

veining continuing across the three stone planes.

alternating simplicity and complexity. One complements the other, or compensates for the other. Most of the color and finish is of such a reduced set that it calls out for something else to compensate. You get it in stone veining of great complexity. Ceiling floor walls and trim are "reduced set". Minor differences in the light white hues become an attractive element, visible to the user but not to us seeing photographs. Walls and backsplash are reflective surfaces (you can see yourself) but not outright mirrors. Backsplash, a deliberately darker color, is simple. Grout is the same color, dark in the backsplash, white in the floor. There is only one main attraction. The stone is the main attraction.

pendants in three's. Soft white light bulb covers that let most of the light out. Reflected in the other surfaces.

beveling the junction of the three stone planes so that the island looks somewhat like a piece of furniture. (This costs a few hundred more than the brute force alternative, a mere countertop plunked down on supporting panels, straight cut square butt end).

on both sides the counter overhang wraps down and makes the side return panels bigger, as a way to define and enclose space in a area where there may feel to be too much "open space". The drawers become "contained" as if in INSET face-frame cabinets. This is quite an achievement because these are frameless cabinets

a full wall of verticals, containing the fridge. The wall becomes a utility wall; the fridge becomes a subset of the wall's functionality.

a corner pantry with five sides (like a corner tub, or "neo-angle" shower, a 5-sided shape that maximizes corners). So efficient! Just big enough to be arm-reachable. No walk-in standing around wasted space.

a faucet with a reduced function set. (Once again, the tradeoffs are not big.) The angles of the handle and spout are just enough to help it all be "non-square" ; the rest of it is made of right-angled components echoing the entire kitchen. The handle is centered in front, the spout is slender, and the non-roundedness of every component make it more of everything you might wish for to match the inherent quality of the other architectural choices : unusual and unaverage.

One of the four chairs can be placed somewhere else and the three remaining chairs still occupy the space perfectly: round chairs under round pendants.

I'll guess that an electrical outlet is in the island, but only if you open a drawer.

I'm glad you posted this.

Hth

o

Wow, I think that granite has the angels singing. Absolutley heavenly!

Congratulations to you.

o

Congratulations on the completion, your kitchen looks GREAT! I am in LOVE with your granite. The installation looks fabulous too!

o

Your kitchen is beautiful! I too love the way the granite was installed - the entire space looks well planned. How fun it will be to access all that storage space.

o

Love love love the clean lines and spectacular granite. Actually, loving the floor too. The granite return is fantastic. I love this style kitchen and I could function very very very well in this space. It's truly wonderful. Enjoy your new space!

o

I absolutely love this space. If I had the house that could take this I would do this. I love the sleekness of it all. And that granite - now that is amazing the way you wrapped the island in it. Stunning.

o

What an amazing kitchen--so bright and open. Fresh twist on the lacquer cabinet kitchens I so admired in the 80's. Very well done! Enjoy!

o

It's is beautiful--congratulations!!

o

Wow! Absolutely stunning! I love the waterfall island counters and the beautiful modern cabinets and hardware. Looks amazing and function. Thanks for sharing.

o

I love how this all came together so perfectly. I love how you have the sleekness of the cabs and tile paired with the organic looking stone. The waterfall returns on the granite are fabulous with the stone's pattern. That feature alone makes it really special with the added panache. I like everything else as well, of course. We did the waterfall for the back ledge of our island and everyone looked at us like we were odd for doing it when we'd try to explain it. Even my dh was skeptical. Of course, in person, it is something that most people comment on loving now, lol. Ours is less dramatic because our counters are not as spectacular as yours but I still think it was one of our better decisions.
I love the sheen you have going on with the lines of your kitchen. Your kitchen really has a great vibe to it. This is not a typical white or even "GW" kitchen. Its look is so clean & sleek yet warm.

o

Really really well done - wow! The thought that went into the kitchen is very evident. Thanks for sharing it! :)

o

I just went through this again... it's even more beautiful the 2-3rd time. The bookmatched stone is amazing! Congratulations on such a special kitchen... just love it.

o

Absolutely gorgeous. So beautiful & clean. Love the granite, & you kept it definitely the star of the kitchen. Your kitchen looks like it could be in a magazine!

o

Gorgeous and unique. I'd love to cook in this fabulous kitchen. Thanks for posting.

o

Love, Love it!!!!!! There's not one thing I'd change.

Nancy

o

Beautiful! I wish it was mine. ;)

o

Wonderful kitchen. I appreciated davidro 1's narrative of elements & details in your beautiful kitchen.

o

Very unique and just beautiful!

o

WOW! That's a beauty! Congratulations!!

o

Like something out of Architectural Digest!

o

Tres chic!

o

Very Sleek and Modern! Beautiful!

I love the backsplash.

o

Oh sweet laquered shine! What an amazing space, thoughtfully designed and beautifully executed. The travel was worth it for that granite... it's a work of art unto itself. Please enjoy!

o

Nice! No. Verrry, verrry nice! Superb, even! Sigh.

o

Gorgeous!!! Your granite is incredible! Love what you've created.

o

oh my! I love love love it. Well done, it is really fantastic. I love the floors! Thank you for sharing, your kitchen made my day. Enjoy!

o

Wow! That is gorgeous! It should be in a magazine! I love all your choices - Congrats and enjoy!

o

Beautiful! I love your cabinet pulls and that granite is spectacular.

o

Stunning granite.

o

Really beautiful.

o

I have to second Schoolhouse's thought that your kitchen looks like it should be in Architectural Digest! It's so beautiful! You've thought out every detail so thoroughly and the result is a kitchen with beautiful symmetry and aesthetics as well as being wonderfully functional. My favorite details (if I had to choose) would be the symmetry, your granite and the waterfall design, stainless toekicks, and the stools. I'm sure you and your family will be smiling every time you walk in for many months/years to come--enjoy!

I would love to see how you set up your corner pantry, if you get a chance. I'm hoping it would give me some ideas for my pantry. TIA!

o

Thank you so much for all the comments. My wife was pleased to read them all this morning to let her know what a great job we've done.

Thank you for the wonderful narative "davidro1". You pretty much came up with every detail we included in the designing of the kitchen. I'm out of town for a few days unfortunately, but will take some more detailed photo's of pantry/cabinets etc when i get home.

You hit the nail on the head with the Island powerpoints too. If you look at the 4th picture, the top drawer on the left hand side of the dishwasher actually hinges down to reveal 2 power points recessed back about 200mm, which allows us to still use appliances on the Island bar concealing the power points. You can actually run the power cords out the right hand side of that drawer and it nearly closes all the way back up.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone. It's great to know that it's being appreciated. For us, the cabinetmakers, and the stone masons.

Dean.

o

Wowza! So sleek and sophisticated! That is one grown-up space--love it!

I love that granite--it is spectacular, and those stools are just TOO COOL, yet they look like they'd be comfortable! All the glossiness and reflective surfaces give it such polish and make it looks so cleeeeeean.

Congratulations on such beautiful execution of your dream kitchen!

o

THe granite reminds me of a tiger's stripes! Wow. Love the stools, too. Everything is amazing.

o

INCREDIBLY lovely! And from a typical white marble/inset cabinet GWer with a true appreciation for contemporary design. You did an amazing job!

o

Really gorgeous. Fresh and crisp and welcoming and clean and wonderful, thoughtful design.

A fine example of unique design so well suited to the room. All the details are great. I love modern. I love yours.

o

Congrats on a wonderful kitchen. Love the clean modern lines. I keep coming back to the post to look at it again and again. Would you mind sharing the details on the cabinet pulls? I think the TKO'ers here would appreciate the details for the whole kitchen.Do tell!!

o

bump

o

Sorry muskokascp, i've been held up at work this week and won't be home for another 5 days, i'll post the full specs when i get a chance. I'll get the missus to msg me the name of the handles to start with.

o

This is absolutely fabulous! Totally magazine worthy! Congratulations!

o

BEAUTIFUL! The granite chosen (called Prada Gold around here on the East Coast of the US) was a top contender when I was doing my kitchen. I did opt for marble, but used Prada in a nearby powder room on the wall with a wall mount faucet. I just adore seeing the large slab in your kitchen, however, with all of the movement.

Fantastic space planning. You should be quite proud!

o

Jaw dropping kitchen, BEAUTIFUL.

o

What a wonderful, sleek modern kitchen! I love that granite wrapped around the island!

o

I keep looking at this lustily!
Anyone care to hazard a gentle guess as to the cost of something so lovely, sleek, functional, calming??

o

So i finally managed to get some time off work and got the pictures people where wondering about.

First off the hidden power point in the island bar.

And closed.

Flwrs_n_co - Here's the 5 sided 1200mm corner pantry.

muskokascp - The pulls are from Tekform. There web page can be found here -
"Tekform Handles"

Our handles are the 7141 Series.

Will get back later with the appliance descriptions if people are still interested.

o

Your kitchen is stunning and very Australian. I think a lot of Americans may not realize that virtually all new Australian kitchens are very sleek, modern and European in style. I have not seen one new kitchen in a traditional style over here. We chose the same style cabinets, almost chose the same hardware, but went with a Quantum Quartz benchtop - a bit boring compared to yours. Is your backsplash Gasparre polished porcelain in Gris? It looks very similar to ours. Congratulations on your fantastic choices.

o

Will you please show us inside your pantry?

The whole thing is beautiful.

o

I was in the process of taking the pictures for you the other day and the missus flipped out cause she thought it was messy. Will get her to clean it up a bit tomorrow and take some pics.

o

WOW - Your kitchen is absolutely amazing. Enjoy it in good health.

o

Yes, I second that on posting views of the inside of the pantry and the clever ideas I bet you used! Your kitchen is amazing.

o

Wow, fabulous! Great job.

o

Your flooring is fabulous! Can you please share details about the brand/type of flooring. Thanks.

o

I realize this post is an older one, but just had to comment. The kitchen looks beautiful with the excellent choice of granite. I was leaning towards a quartzite because I couldn't find a granite that really caught my attention. But with the uncertainty of quartzite, now as I am hearing various things, I have been hesitant of using a quartzite although I love the way it looks.

This has certainly shown me that granite can look stunning in a kitchen and keep it looking modern and clean.

o

I had typed my comment, then looked at your site again before I posted it and found that Davidrol had stolen it word for word. So, ''Ditto.''

But, also:
I don't call DH in very often to admire a kitchen. I did on yours.
There is no higher praise than this: he asked to see it again!!
And that, sir and madam, is a record.

Thank you for posting a lovely room. I wish you could post pictures of each drawer opened to reveal it's hidden delights.

Sandra

o

I'm a huge granite fan and I think your granite choice makes the kitchen. The whole thing looks beautiful. CONGRATS!!

o

It's just perfect. Love it. So clean, sleek and well I just love it. Happy kitchen to you- enjoy your lovely space. I have to say I was impressed by Davidrol 1 interpretation of your kitchen. Great job!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here