Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Cabinet Dilemma - White or Brown?

Posted by MzKiz (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 3:24

We have just closed on an open floor plan ranch-style house with a really poorly laid out kitchen which we will be gutting. We also will be ripping out the dated-looking white tile with black grout line flooring and replacing it with travertine-like porcelain tile.

When I look at kitchen pictures on Houzz, I tend to gravitate towards white shaker kitchens. The problem is, our great room furniture consists of med. brown leather seating, Stickley mission-style coffee & end tables and a vintage oak dining room table & chairs.

When I try to envision a white kitchen with the browns of our furniture and flooring, I just can't see how it would look good. The only thing that might help would be using a darker wood for the bar which would serve as a transition into the rest of the living area. Should I just forget about white kitchens and start concentrating on finding a natural wood color?

Looking for thoughts from the GW community on this!

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Cabinet Dilemma - White or Brown?

We have this same problem too and have decided to go with a wood look. Though white can look nice, for us the wood seemed to flow better between the areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of OPEN Kitchens to the Only Living Area Needed

This post was edited by aloha2009 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 7:35

o

I think that with white cabinets in an open area, you would want to repeat the use of that color throughout the open area. I would use a creamier white to begin with, and maybe paint out a couple pieces of (cheaper) wood furniture in the same color. You could also add white/cream pillows, ottoman or other upholstered piece, window coverings, etc.

o

You could use a darker floor or darker countertops and also bring white/cream into the great room. Also, could you have whatever floor i sin your great room also in your kitchen?
Couple of pictures:

o

Thanks for the input - if I would be using hardwood floors throughout the house, as in the posted pics,I think I would be less concerned about the white cabinets but the house is in Florida, on the water, so we will be using a travertine-like tile so the color will be a very light beige. The 2nd pic with the dark wood island shows more of what I was thinking could work to transition the white cabinets into the great room with the brown furniture.

o

What color is the trim in your living room? I think if kitchen cabinets are painted the same color as the trim in the other areas, that helps keep it unified. If you have stained trim, I think it will be more difficult to blend.

o

I think a darker wood for the bar would be great.

Other options:
darker counters
maybe wood counter?

or maybe some dark upper frames, like these:

darker backsplash

darker chairs/stools

also cream not stark white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here