Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caren_weiner

Kitchen Cabinet Dilemma - White or Brown?

Caren Weiner
10 years ago

We have just closed on an open floor plan ranch-style house with a really poorly laid out kitchen which we will be gutting. We also will be ripping out the dated-looking white tile with black grout line flooring and replacing it with travertine-like porcelain tile.

When I look at kitchen pictures on Houzz, I tend to gravitate towards white shaker kitchens. The problem is, our great room furniture consists of med. brown leather seating, Stickley mission-style coffee & end tables and a vintage oak dining room table & chairs.

When I try to envision a white kitchen with the browns of our furniture and flooring, I just can't see how it would look good. The only thing that might help would be using a darker wood for the bar which would serve as a transition into the rest of the living area. Should I just forget about white kitchens and start concentrating on finding a natural wood color?

Looking for thoughts from the GW community on this!

thanks!

Comments (11)

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

We have this same problem too and have decided to go with a wood look. Though white can look nice, for us the wood seemed to flow better between the areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of OPEN Kitchens to the Only Living Area Needed

This post was edited by aloha2009 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 7:35

• laurajane02
    10 years ago

I think that with white cabinets in an open area, you would want to repeat the use of that color throughout the open area. I would use a creamier white to begin with, and maybe paint out a couple pieces of (cheaper) wood furniture in the same color. You could also add white/cream pillows, ottoman or other upholstered piece, window coverings, etc.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

You could use a darker floor or darker countertops and also bring white/cream into the great room. Also, could you have whatever floor i sin your great room also in your kitchen?
    Couple of pictures:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• Caren Weiner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input - if I would be using hardwood floors throughout the house, as in the posted pics,I think I would be less concerned about the white cabinets but the house is in Florida, on the water, so we will be using a travertine-like tile so the color will be a very light beige. The 2nd pic with the dark wood island shows more of what I was thinking could work to transition the white cabinets into the great room with the brown furniture.

• lannegreene
    10 years ago

What color is the trim in your living room? I think if kitchen cabinets are painted the same color as the trim in the other areas, that helps keep it unified. If you have stained trim, I think it will be more difficult to blend.

• barbie13058
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

can I get details of this kitchen? What kind of floor is this? what color is the island? granite color? backsplash tile?

• rebeccamomof123
    8 years ago

I have a white shaker kitchen with open floor plan to a dark wood dining table and chocolate leather sofa. I chose oil rubbed bronze to tie to together in the dining/family room area. I also have lots of white trim and built-in in the living space to tie it together. I think you'll be just fine!

• Sms
    8 years ago

Camino de la Luz · More Info

You could go with dark wood look porcelain tiles in lieu of tavertine-like tiles

• houserookie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My new kitchen will be an off white painted wood, but the island will be stained wood, as the transition piece. Kitchen floor will also be travertine look porcelain, and family room will be medium wood floors. Furniture is also medium stain wood.

• nmh92
    8 years ago

I would follow the advice of other posters and find transition pieces such as, a stained wood island with a stone top that matches the rest of the kitchen counters you plan to use or butcher block on the top of the island and paint the base the same as your white cabs . I like a monochromatic look but not rooms where every finish matches exactly. I think it looks dated when an open concept room is all wood (unless you live in an Arts&Craft style house or mountain lodge type home).