Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorfast

Torn between two granites

colorfast
12 years ago

Hey, I need your help! After much soul searching, I am down to two granite finalists, and struggling between them. I like both, have tagged one. Need to decide soon because the fab guy wants to get my choice delivered to his place....

I originally thought I could not have blue because, well, we have a budget, but this one was within our powers. I really could go either way with either of these.

I am not worrying about the backsplash yet but feel it needs to be simple (ie white subway tile). Weigh in on that too if you are so inspired.

Thanks!

The blue, called Dynamic Blue:

Now the green, called Midnight Ocean:

Comments (49)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I like the green. It goes nicely with the warmth of your wood. Is the big piece your floor?

They are both really nice though so you won't make a bad choice. Is the kitchen open to other rooms? Do those rooms read cooler like the blue does or warmer like the green? It may help you lean more one way than the other to consider that.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Breezy,
    thanks for your thoughts. I'm glad you like both. I do think I was able to capture the green better on camera. The lighting at stone yards and the reflective quality of the granite make it tough. Yes, the bigger sample is the Shaw flooring we just bought.

Between the tri-level and the layout, our kitchen doesn't really open up to the rest of the house and won't when we're through. The entryway is the main point of connection, and is in a neutral that I will probably repaint when I repaint the kitchen.

What would be the logical extension of either palette for walls or backsplash? Pure white for the blue and cream for the green? Do I have other options?

• rachelolive92
    12 years ago

I like the green too

• mrshanson1
    12 years ago

Well, I like the blue. Green is nice, but I think I would get tired of it. Blue leans towards a more modern look for me. The green granite would be more of a rustic look for me.

I see why this is a hard choice. Maybe pick it by the other colors in your home.

My two cents..

• bonesoda
    12 years ago

+1 i like the blue as well its a touch of modern.

• pagesturned
    12 years ago

The blue.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

The Blue... I like the swirls and "rivers" as opposed to the more splotchy appearance of the green.

• friedajune
    12 years ago

I like the blue by far. But really, the best thing for you to do, since we cannot see the rest of your house, your kitchen, the light, etc. is for you to take samples home with you, and see them in your kitchen. You will be amazed at how doing that will make up your mind.

• silvergirl207
    12 years ago

I like the blue personally, but the green may work better with your cabinets and floor

• Jody
    12 years ago

I like the GREEN!!

• mom2sethc
    12 years ago

Hello,

I like them both, however there is something special about the blue with your floor and cabinets.

• willtv
    12 years ago

I'd go blue.
    I like both the pattern and the color better than the green.
    I don't think you can make a mistake either way.
    It's really a matter of personal preference.

• ginny20
    12 years ago

I like them both, but I love the movement in the blue.

I think Dynamic Blue is sometimes also called Bros Blue or Splash Blue. This is the prettiest slab of it that I've seen.

I would go with a simple backsplash, maybe with a listello or accent tiles. But with the blue,if you want drama, you might want to consider using it behind the range/cooktop. for a really dramatic look, you can do a full granite backsplash. If you want a quieter look, just stick with the tile. IMO, a matte tile looks good with shiny granite.

• RICSFAN
    12 years ago

I really like the blue but I can see why you're having a hard time they are both beautiful.

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

Blue would be my pick. If the kitchen opens up to other rooms maybe look at the rest of the house and see which goes better?

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

I likw the green. To me, it seems to "go" with the cabinets better. But obviously you like them both and several other people are voting for the blue so it comes down to what you want most. Niether looks "bad".

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Buhhh-luuuu
    . .
    . .
    . (blue)

• function_first
    12 years ago

I love the blue, just love it --it's so unique.

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

What's your favorite color? Mine is blue, and I don't think that will ever change.
    Both just BEAUTIFUL stones though! Can't wait to see it finished!!! Bet you can't too. :)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

The blue would be a stand out. But, my vote would be the green only because I prefer green over blue. With the green I can picture a very, very light toned green backsplash. Not sure if I like your vision of a white subway tile, your light wood cabinets and then the blue granite.

• thimdog
    12 years ago

I like the blue better even though green is my favorite color.

• ca_mom
    12 years ago

They're both lovely, but I prefer the blue. Seems a bit calmer. The close up of the green shows quite a bit of rose color. Not sure how prominent this is IRL. Either will be beautiful.

• akrogirl
    12 years ago

I love them both, but like the green a little better with your cabinets.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Love the blue! I think it really complements your cabinetry, better than the green. The movement is really lovely. And the blue granite is so unique!

• 3mutts
    12 years ago

I can also see why this is such a hard choice. The funny thing is, once you decide and get it installed, you won't even really remember the other one.

I am a huge blue fan - I've had blue granite for 16 years - but I also have green granite in my laundry room, I love them both. When I first looked at the green slab above, it reminded me of what flying over a forest looks like - seeing all the green tree tops.

You can't "goof" - good luck in deciding!

I guess if one costs a fair amount more than the other, that might help make the decision. If you even considered a full backsplash in the granite, I think the blue would be best for that.

Either will be the star of your kitchen, no doubt.

• sas95
    12 years ago

I like the blue granite better, but I think the green goes better with your cabinets.

• ptamom
    12 years ago

There is no "wrong" choice. They are both beautiful. What it the rest of your homes color scheme like? What style is your overall decor? I like the movement in the blue stone but both are great.

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

I love the blue for both its color and movement.

The longer lines in the blue seem more peaceful to me than the squiggles in the green. (If they were both pools of water, the blue is calm and tranquil while the green has a bunch of fish jumping around in it creating ripples. Lol!)

• muskokascp
    12 years ago

I think they both go well with your cabinets but I love the blue for the movement in the stone.

Good luck. There's no wrong decision here.

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Both are spectacular. There's no right or wrong with these two options. Either will be gorgeous.

• HomeNoobie
    12 years ago

go for the gold! i mean blue. :) The blue is really beautiful - not the biggest fan of green countertops.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

I love the blue with your floor.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Well, I like blue, so I'm probably a little swayed by that (LOL) but while the green is very pretty, the pattern seems a lot busier to me. The blue is more calming, looks great with the cabinets and will probably be eaiser to use with a backsplash. If you're planning on using stainless steel appliances, I think the blue would look better, too.

For the backsplash, with the blue...I think you could do something much more creative (but still simple) than white subway tile. Nothing wrong with them...but maybe bring in some grays/blues or even a little stainless steel. You're going to have a beautiful kitchen! :)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I love the blue. I don't think you can go wrong, but to me, the blue looks like more of a luxe piece of granite. The pattern is beautiful and understated on the blue piece. And, blue granite is such a nice touch because a lot of us can't afford to go that route!

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Thank you guys for all of your thoughts. I am amazed too that you are able to see the detail you are with these online photos.... It sounds like no one really hated one or the other with the cabinets and that is a relief. To answer ca_mom, yes there is some rose color undertone/speckles in the green.

One remaining question:

Do either of these seem trendy to you? I want something enduring.

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

I vote blue. I love the shade, the lines just seem more entrancing, and the compliment is nice between the tones and the cabinets. I don't think it's trendy at all. But the green feels outdated.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I've been thinking about my answer. I chose the green for your cabs. From a purely slab standpoint, I prefer the blue.

• gillycat
    12 years ago

I love them both but the blue is a winner for me as well.
    i love the movement of it
    it is so soothing to the soul ( or my soul)

I actually love bellajourney's description of the 2

what also pulls me to the blue for you is your sentence that you didn't think you could afford blue

good luck in your choice

Oh yes, I would NOT go with white subway. too stark

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

I think that either would be great, but I like the blue a tiny bit more. What wood is your cabinets? It looks a little reddish in some pictures but not in others.

We have blue quartzite with cherry cabinets and love the calm cool and warm combination. We started out looking for greens (and our blue has some aqua and green tones) but at the time only found yellowish greens which didn't work for us.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I read (and reread) everyone's comments, and drove down to see the granite again. A friend who does decorating locally was concerned that both were unusual choices that could be a problem if we tried to sell our house anytime soon. But selling soon is not at all in the cards.

I will sleep on it to get some perspective but most likely will be going with the blue. It speaks to me more. This goes against my initial instinct that I ought to do green with this wood. But, maybe my instincts are being guided subconsciously by seeing the same color combinations over and over.

Cloudswift, my cabinets are red birch. The larger sample on the left is my flooring. I really appreciate your input that you have done something similar, and if you have a photo, plaese feel free to add it (or a link).

alabama, I'm glad you don't think the blue seems too trendy and appreciate your honesty.

thanks, everyone!

• friedajune
    12 years ago

Colorfast - did you see my comment above that you should take samples home with you to see how they will look in your kitchen, your light, etc.? You didn't mention that you've done that, even though you went back to the stone yard. It would be very helpful in your decision.

I'm sorry but I think your friend is wrong or misinformed in saying that these granite choices would be a problem to sell your house. Both granites are beautiful, and would actually help to sell your house IMHO, rather than some boring granite that buyers will see over and over in developers' subdivisions, cause the granites are easy to find and the developers can buy them, literally, by the ton.

I have Piracema granite counters, also called "Wave" granite, which has a bit of similarity to your blue choice because of the waviness, and the blue, though yours is darker. Like many granites, Piracema looks different with different slabs, some lighter, some darker, some busier, some quieter pattern. I don't have a pic of my slab, but I'll link a pic I saw online that is similar to mine

. My point is that I have had it installed for 6 years, and (A) it looks as good as the day it was installed, even though I have not been careful with it, (B) people ooh and ah over it when they come to my house, and (C) I have never yet grown tired of looking at the beautiful pattern of waves, every morning when I come down to the kitchen. That is why I like your blue choice better.

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

Our granite (geologically quartzite) is blue, but the pattern is more similar to your green granite. It's called Azul do Mar (Blue of the Sea) and has a similar ocean look.

The big picture:

And some close ups:

There is no way that a blue granite will be trendy. There isn't enough of it. It will always be a special find for a special kitchen. Maybe something more bland would be better for resale - I don't know. When we were looking at open houses, a lot of the flip houses had a confusion of neutrals (even though they call them neutral, they don't all go together). I think our kitchen looks a lot better than that.

Ours has been in for 5 years. Like Chicago's, it looks as good as new and we never tire of looking at it.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reassurance, that was amazing--both the comments and the photos.

Akchicago, the yard has no samples of the green. I did bring home the one blue sample, but it is from a previous lot and has far less of the dark blue and wave in it. More of the small bits of brown/purple undertone that are far less prevalent in my slabs.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not sure I should start a new post but my pix of the BLUE granite are all here.

Deciding between the anthracite, Metallic gray and the white for a Blanco sink. Probably the gray is the front runner... Our granite guy mentioned his anthracite had faded a bit over several years, or that might be.

Any thoughts?

• function_first
    12 years ago

colorfast - I'd definitely post a new thread -- you'll attract more people that have experience with Blanco sinks if you start a new thread.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Blue is my vote.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Blue is the answer! I just wanted to also echo what lavenderlass said above--you aren't constrained to just doing white subways. Post about your BS separately, and if you want actually useful information, ask about alternatives that are not white subways. You already know what those look like.

Plus, sometimes I think there's a spambot on GW that searches for every post with "backsplash" in it and answers "Creamy Subways!" fifty times in a row, whether the countertop is soapstone or marble or granite or rammed cow dung.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! I DID decide on the blue, as mentioned a few posts back.

I have started a new thread, but I just asked people's opinion for the best color for a Blanco Silgranit Sink. sounds like maybe not white...here is the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Torn Between Two granites

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wait! I misnamed it, the link is called "Blanco sink to go with my granite."