Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lite1

Your thoughts on this approach to kitchen design

lite1
9 years ago

I will be building a new home in the contemporary/modern style and have been playing with various approaches to defining what I want, and how to make decisions. The quality words that come to mind are harmonious, beautiful, simple, functional, carefree (easy-trouble free-low maintenance).

I also am considering health aspects such no VOCs and limited out gassing, and so might consider custom cabinets.

But tonight I thought about the harmony and beauty and simplicity and realized that I might be totally happy with very simple almost plain cabinets, perhaps with some functional but interesting brushed metal pulls, and to add rotating beauty via simple things rather than a permanent investment in the wood and finish of cabinets e.g. wonderful hand made spoons and spatulas and cutting boards; a niche for the pottery that I love; a small vase with flowers; a custom made wood spice rack that continues to impress with functionality and beauty.

I have also thought about a digital screen to display a slide show of photos or other images that inspire.

A window to the wonderful outside or a borrowed view from the open floor plan into the living room will also be a likely element.

Basically, while I love wood and enjoy some kitchen cabinets and well designed islands with pleasing work surfaces, I am looking at the potential advantages of having all of these play second fiddle to smaller elements that are probably far less expensive collectively and that can be rotated against these as more of a back ground. I realize that some kitchen photos I like have a wow factor, but I wonder whether they would really be appreciated consistently on a day-to-day basis whereas the smaller and more intimate things like a well crafted ladle held in your hand might provide more enduring enjoyment.

Wondering about your experiences, and particularly whether there are little things that you have in your kitchen that give you ongoing enjoyment and what these are and how you would describe them. I also wonder about what your experience is of your kitchen from different perspectives. By this I mean you probably experience it quite differently when you are in it, then when you are approaching it or seeing it from somewhat of a distance from eating table or living room. It think a well designed kitchen should be pleasing from many points of view and especially whether we are viewing it as a space or whether we are within it doing some activity. How it is lit will also drastically change our experience of it even from the same perspective.

I have a wonderful bright red tea pot that always sits out on the stove. It has a jet black handle that contrasts and highlights both the red and the stainless metal cap. The squat rounded shape and slightly curved pouring spout have lovely proportions. It is usually the only thing I leave on the stove and I often move its position and orientation of the spout so that it catches my eye in a new way. It looks great with a night light on when the rest of the house is dark.

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am looking at the potential advantages of having all of these play second fiddle to smaller elements that are probably far less expensive collectively and that can be rotated against these as more of a back ground.

Good idea ... think of the kitchen as a gallery where you can bring in "exhibits".

• Bunny
    9 years ago

My kitchen didn't have a grand design scheme. It was a facelift on a budget. When it was done it felt very stark to me: creamy cabinets/backsplash and dark counters. I hadn't planned on stark. As I was putting things away, I realized that something as simple as a bottle of olive oil with a colorful label breathed some life into the place. I also bought a bright red tea kettle and painted some stools the same color. It makes a huge difference. With a somewhat neutral background, you can add all kinds of cool elements.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

It's a solid design concept to have room finishes be somewhat secondary to decorative objects or artworks. The key, though, is quality finishes with careful attention to colour and texture even if they are intended to be understated. For example, a builder grade thermafoil cabinet door will come across differently than a high end painted cabinet door (whether ready made or custom). Beautiful rooms often have incredible attention paid to details that we may not notice - we may notice how pretty the bowl of peaches looks, but not consciously realize how the perfect symmetry of the bank of cabinets supports the overall visual.

What you are basically talking about is "styling". That's adding decorative layers to the base of the room. If you analyze photos from one of my favourite sites below, you'll recognize that much of the appeal of them comes from how the kitchens have been styled.

Any room will look better if you remove all clutter, clear off all surfaces, and carefully add select objects to complement the room or draw the eye towards (or away from) elements of the room. Could be a houseplant, a pretty cutting board, an enamel kettle, etc.

Edited to add: functional layout, attractive sightlines, and abundant natural light are make-or-break elements in a kitchen, IMHO. Those would always be my starting point for design.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchens via Remodelista

This post was edited by feisty68 on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 15:05

• lite1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for perspectives so far which are all helpful and provide ideas and ways of looking at things.

Excerpt from feisty68
    "Beautiful rooms often have incredible attention paid to details that we may not notice - we may notice how pretty the bowl of peaches looks, but not consciously realize how the perfect symmetry of the bank of cabinets supports the overall visual."

Yes, I agree that there is often a great deal that goes into something so that it serves as a great background supporting what you wish to highlight, and thanks for the web link that I will explore. Some of those photos are well staged, but certainly do not reflect how one would actually live or actually use a kitchen from day-to-day. While they might be great for selling a home, or marketing a kitchen designer, to me they are a distortion or skewing of more normal reality and therefore can be deceiving.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Simple, neutral, unfussy, works as a design scheme, but you have to start with really good bones. The layout needs to be well thought through both for cooking function, and for how the various elements look at different angles. With simple, nothing can be out of place (I'm talking about the permanent stuff). If things are an inch off, the simplicity doesn't provide any hiding space. So go for it, and keep a keen eye on the details, especially the proportion, symmetry, and relationships between the various elements.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

"I will be building a new home in the contemporary/modern style"

Today, this means very uncluttered and the focus of your ideas seems to be on accessories.

When the basics are right the small details fall into place and look just right because they always seem to be "there."

When the basics -- layout, surfaces, color scheme, sightlines, lighting, airflow -- are not well done the accessories can often be attempts to fix what's missing or, at worst, become clutter.

The one thing not mentioned in the original post on this thread is the function this kitchen needs to provide. In the past, we've had posters who said they don't cook and stated clearly they were just doing a kitchen with improbable materials and concepts for looks. I feel that's perfectly valid even though it wouldn't be something I would ever do or want or buy.

Everyone has different requirements and ideas. For me, light, a feeling of space and functionality are major factors. Saving photos from magazines and the web, they laying them out and seeing what they have in common is a recommended way to determine a look you're going for.

You may want to take the Sweeby test (on here somewhere) -- a sort of self-analysis.

Then budget, space and the ultimate goal for the house overall comes into play.

There are no rules. Only strategies and taste. Good luck!

• lite1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all; good perspectives and tips, helpful and supportive. One of you mentioned the Sweeby test and this is perhaps the most relevant link that I found on GW

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweeby test thread

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES