Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Utrusta (electric push latch) on non-Ikea cabs?

Posted by marcojohnson (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 2:18

I'm wondering if anyone has tried getting the $130 electric push-latch from Ikea to work on non-ikea cabs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Utrusta (electric push latch) on non-Ikea cabs?

Yes, love mine. The cabinet installers had a really hard time figuring out how to do it, but they work great. Probably worthwhile to look at instructions, look up Blum instructions, youtube videos, etc..

o

Thx- I knew someone here must have tried !

I'm looking at my recycle can drawer - it looks like the rail is more towards the top and not bottom like on all of the Blum and Ikea vids :( may have to live without because I didn't think of this ahead of time?

o

Here are a couple pictures of mine, notice that it was mounted high on the back wall of the cabinet by putting a piece of wood in there because my rail is also towards the top. I think the critical part is making sure there is electric in the cabinet and that someone figures out how to do the adjustments so it works well.

photo photo25_zpsf36a84d4.jpg

photo photo24_zps75ae4a77.jpg

o

Does it just push the 'drawer' from the back?

I think my dog would open it, but I may add an outlet and try it. Monday is the last day to make that call, I'd say.

o

You bump it, which makes the little arm push it out. I think it would be easy for dogs to master, especially if well and sensitively installed. See video evidence and fair warning: the song could get stuck in your head! My dogs are little, and mine is not as well installed, so that isn't a factor for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: servo-drive video

o

kksmama- that's EXACTLY what my cabinet looks like.

That damn song is now burned into my head ... oh what an earworm!!!! What is it about Austrians and Germans that they come up with these little dittys (I have a trade show in Duseldorf every 4 years and they create a similar sounding ditty every time for it ... takes almost a year to get it out of my head!).

This gives me enough confidence to try it ... my compactor (yes, we're actuallly keeping it!) is next to it and has a foot pedal, so this will give us truly hands-free trash access!

o

My dog would so love this--into the trash. Into the dog food drawer. Yippee. Who needs a thumb?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here