Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on 36' Hood over 30' cooktop?

Posted by cirone (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 2:04

(This is my first post, so if I'm doing something wrong, please let me know!)

What do you think about installing a 36" range hood over my 30" gas cooktop?

Currently there are wall cabinets next to the cooktop, and these have quite the grease buildup on the lower corners from frequent cooking. I am planning on replacing these with open shelving during the remodel. It seems like having a larger hood might help keep these open shelves freer from grease. but I wonder if 36" would look unbalanced--big (would 3" extra on each side do that?) or if 30" would look unbalanced--small since the cooktop's black grates reach all the way to the edge unlike my current one.

Pictures of the current space, vent hood, and cooktop:

Before - Cooktop wall Cooktop
Vent Hood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on 36'' Hood over 30'' cooktop?

Actually....it's recommended your hood be at least 6" wider than your range/cooktop...so a 36" hood over a 30" cooktop is perfect...especially if you do any high-heat/frying/stir-frying/meat browning/high-smoke cooking.

Since you also want open shelving, I also recommend getting a high-cfm hood as well as a 24" deep hood. Oh, and mount it according to the specifications. The combination of high-cfms (at least 1,000 cfms), 6" wider, 24" deep, and mounted properly should eliminate the vast majority (if not all) of the grease/steam/smoke/etc. in the air and help keep items on those shelves grease-free. It won't prevent the dust build-up that's natural for any open shelves, but that dust won't be mixing with grease in the air causing a "gunk" that's difficult to clean off. (If items on the shelves are used frequently, then there shouldn't be too much of a dust build-up.)

An added bonus for the high-cfm hood is that you will be able to run it on a lower setting most of the time and it will be quieter than getting a lower-cfm and having to run it on high all the time.

Looking at your picture, I see a couple of problems that explains the grease build-up...

(1) The hood is mounted too high...most hoods should be mounted around 30" off the cooking surface

(2) The hood is too narrow and, I think, too shallow (it's hard to tell from the pictures).

Good luck!

o
RE: Opinions on 36' Hood over 30' cooktop?

thanks for all the helpful feedback! Will definitely be looking at the 36" hood instead, then.

o
RE: Opinions on 36' Hood over 30' cooktop?

Hi Cirone,

there was another thread recently addressing a similar question, and several people replied with pictures as well as the key info that buehl stated above. Thought you might want to look at the pictures...

welcome to the Kitchen Forums, by the way!

Here is a link that might be useful: vent hood thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here