Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weeznuts

Is it possible to dye or stain corian countertops?

weeznuts
11 years ago

The house I just bought has corian countertops that are in great shape and include an integrated sink with dish drainer, all of which I love. What I don't love is the color of the corian: salt and pepper. I was wondering if I could dye or stain the corian black. I see a lot of information on the web about getting stains -out- of corian, which leads me to believe that corian stains pretty easily. Am I nuts? Any ideas on how I would do that?

Comments (15)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

It isn't. The stains people are talking about getting out are fairly light residual stains.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Even if you managed to change the color, it would be very temporary. When you moved a coffee cup across the counter, it would scratch it white and show the undersurface through. That's what black Corian does anyway, when you scratch it. And it DOES scratch. It's a nice surface if you like the light colors, but the dark colors are less successful.

The salt and pepper color may not be much to your liking, but it will wear well and can go with a wide variety of cabinet colors and styles. Perhaps you may just need to change out a few things to make it work better until you can manage a kitchen redo.

• weeznuts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting idea to paint a countertop. I can't imagine it holding up to years of use. Thanks for your replies. I can live with the salt n pepper (thank goodness it's not mauve or something), but will continue to research options.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Yes, I'd be thankful it's salt-pepper, you can probably work with that. The counters in my house were bright salmon pink Formica when I bought it ... fabulous if this were a 1950's Californian Eichler, not so great in a New England Craftsman bungalow ...

Good luck! Let us know if you decide to test the paint, dye, etc.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Ghostlyvision just posted a link for refinishing cabinets on this link: Can this kitchen be updated? posted by Serenghetti.

The same site also offers a kit for painting countertops. Definitely worth a look for you. Looks like it could be fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kit for refinishing countertops

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

It is official.

You are nuts.

;)

• Josif
    10 years ago

Did anyone ever try this? We have corian in a house we moved into, and it will be 3-4 years before we can do the kitchen remodel. The color of the corian is like a beige. I'm curious if anyone tried this and if any of these methods might hold up for several years.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

weeznuts:

I am a Certified Corian fabricator and installer, have seen Corian painted, and was not impressed.

In over twenty years, I've never had a Corian stain that I couldn't remove. Since the product is inert, I can't conceive of how someone could successfully dye it.

Get a good refinisher and hit it with some Countertop Magic. That's your best bet.

• caroleeann49
    8 years ago

I also have corian, several colors. Reminds me of formica in the 50's only more durable. I don't have the money to ever change it and got the idea of streaking a permanent stain of some kind through it to up date the look somewhat. Is this a possibility?

• opalbowling
    7 years ago

Joseph, I too have black coriander counters. My question is, can it be refinished with a heavy sealer adding sparkle for effect? Would it adhere to the coriander?

• opalbowling
    7 years ago

Sorry..auto corrected...corian

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

I wouldn't recommend a sealer with sparkle for effect as a finish for Corian. It won't hold up well in most situations.

If you want permanent gorgeous sparkle, have fiber optics installed in your Corian, then have the tops refinished. Tough, permanent, beautiful.

• Ichabod Crane
    7 years ago

Just thinking about loud; how about epoxy paint? The kind they use in garages. If you can park a Mustang on it, why wouldn't it work?

• lizlevmil
    5 years ago

How do you install fiber optics in corian? My painter told me there was a process now to make corian look like granite. Anyone heard of this?