Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Multi-Level Work Table As Substitute For More Counter Space?

John Liu
13 years ago

I am thinking about a piece of kitchen furniture that might address some specific needs that I have.

That need is, of course, for more counter space. You can never have too much counter, but my kitchen is small enough, and pierced with enough doors (back door, 1/2 bath door, dining room passage, hallway passage, basement door) that I will only be able to have counters along one wall of the room. Short of moving load-bearing walls - totally not in the budget, or in the character of this old Four Square - there is nothing I can do about that. I was planning a very small island - about 3.5' x 2.5' - in the center of the room, but that won't be enough. Somehow we have got to warp the fabric of space-time to get me an additional six or seven feet of counter.

So I was thinking, what do I need that additional counter space for, anyway? I realized that a lot of the time, I wouldn't need to actually ''work'' at the hoped-for additional counter. I simply need a place to set big mixing bowls, sheet trays, serving platters, dishes awaiting food, mise bowls, resting meat, waiting ingredients. All things that are broad, but not that tall.

Hmm. Maybe what I really need are shelves. So an idea arrived. Suppose, instead of an island, I had a work table. And suppose that work table had two more ''levels'' - not sure what to call these - beneath the table top. The top at 40'' height, then the next level at 26'' height, and the lowest level at 12'' height. 12'' of vertical clearance between each level, allowing for the table material. I would gain about 17 sq ft of surface to put stuff on. The middle level would be fairly easy to get to. The lowest level would be inconvenient, but I could probably use some deep knee bends. Ahem.

For various reasons, a moveable work table probably makes a lot more sense in my space than a fixed island, anyway.

Does anyone have something like this? Can you think of a way to make it attractive?

Comments (11)

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Minorly civilized version of a restaurant work table - use a cabinet type frame on legs that end in castors, have shallow drawers on top. Underneath, a rack make of long "L" brackets that fits your size of sheet pans. Can have about 7 trays if you're doing a big baking project. Keep flip one or two sheet pans upside down if you want even more shelf space. Take the other half and put in those steel bar based pull out racks for pots - you could put one or two items on each pull out? USE the depth of the unit.

What makes it a little civilized is that the outer edges that everyone sees looks like a normal cabinet.

{{!gwi}}

• buffalotina
    13 years ago

I'm getting ready to post pics of my finished kitchen, but meanwhile here is a picture of my Boos Block "island" which sounds like something you are describing. I love it. It is their country work table, it comes in a big range of sizes and has options for drawers, casters, baskets etc. I got the option with two shelves and no drawer etc. It also comes in several colors. I recently finished the butcher block top with Osmo top oil and it has made it even more functional. Good luck!

{{!gwi}}

• brickton
    13 years ago

Not exactly what you asked, but is there anyway to change the entrance to the 1/2 bath (ie close up that doorway and have it enter from a different room)? Not having it enter to the kitchen would be a plus, and you could possibly gain wall space. No idea if that is totally out of the question but I figure I would suggest it.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Here is a whole page of idea's http://www.butcherblockco.com/standing-butcher-blocks.html
    You can get wheels put on to raise the height. I have the 30 x 30 ten inch thick meat block w/wheels, it does not have under shelving although some do, it is the most used countertop in the kitchen. The meat blocks are heavy so if on wheels you can easily move it but it does not easily move without a push which is nice when working.

• jeri
    13 years ago

I saved this picture because it looked to have a lot of potential. Could something like this work? And how about shelving space above the work area that you keep open for prep work only?

• canicci
    13 years ago

I love this idea. I too have a kitchen with many door ways and windows that are too low for counter underneath. A similar idea could work for me too - especially after I messed up a cooling plum pie as it was in the way while I was making plum jam. I'm always moving things to put something down, and then I have to move it again in 10 mins. I'm in a hurry and I break something/drop something.

• canicci
    13 years ago

There's a number of ideas here http://www.kitchenislandco.com/

I really like bmorepanic's design with room for baking sheets and pull out drawers. I will never have room for 7 trays of cookies to cool..This is such a great idea. Could a cabinet maker do something like this???

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

You can get the racks prebuilt from a restaurant supply store and there are some meant to attach inside of a cabinet (6-7 trays, 24" tall and deep, half sheet pan wide and cost something like $200?

Or even cheaper($54) is this rack from amazon. I believe a cabinetmaker would just attach it through the corner posts.

• canishel
    13 years ago

Have you thought about building up? That is, place a series of half-width shelves above your island, similar to a baker's rack but centered (or not) on the main workspace and without the back. The mise stuff could go on those shelves, as well as other bowls, or prepped items.
    The shelves would have to be fixed for squareness and stability, thus attached to posts which, in turn, would be attached to your island (easy to make).
    Lowest shelf height may have to be taller than your height. Depends where you put the shelf assembly.

• canishel
    13 years ago

I meant to say half-depth shelves (half of the distance of the short axis of the island). Centered for stability.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

''is there anyway to change the entrance to the 1/2 bath (ie close up that doorway and have it enter from a different room)?''

Unfortunately, the only other room it could open to is the dining room.

''Have you thought about building up? That is, place a series of half-width shelves above your island, similar to a baker's rack but centered (or not) on the main workspace and without the back.''

Like the slide in a restaurant kitchen? I'd love that, I think. I'm not sure what SMWBO will say.

''Minorly civilized version of a restaurant work table -''

What a great idea. I'd not thought of using slide-in sheets.

''here is a picture of my Boos Block "island" which sounds like something you are describing. I love it.''

I like that a lot. Not just the design, but the striking black color too.

Thanks for all the ideas and pictures. I see that something like this can be function and attractive, so I will humbly petition SWMBO for an audience to present the proposal. Got to get my PowerPoint ready.