Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raro_gw

Unconventional kitchen gets its countertop

raro
12 years ago

The stainless steel countertop and integral sink is in!

As you can see, there are tight quarters in the kitchen. The person at the sink may do the bump with the person at the range!

a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1912638}}
The hole to the right of the sink is for the dishwasher. The gap to the left of the counter is for the range. The Kohler Karbon will be wall mounted in the two holes in the backsplash.

{{gwi:1912639}}{{gwi:1912640}}

The rest of the counter top work space is the soapstone part of the hutch and there will also be a dining height end grain butcher block counter next to the fridge.{{gwi:1912641}}

This shows the hole where the fridge will be. The table will be jutting out from the shelves.

{{gwi:1912642}}Also, the pendant lights for over the dining table.

{{gwi:1912643}}

The cabinet maker began installing all the doors too. Appliances arrived (Miele speed oven and Miele dishwasher, both from the dealer dented or scratched list) including the incorrect model of fridge. Next week the plumber comes. And maybe the stone guys will be back to put up the marble ledge. Elsewhere, the glass guy installed the walls for the master and guest bath shower stalls, but that is not kitchen stuff....

My question for you all is what to do about trash. We generate pretty minimal waste. For true trash we currently have a door mounted wire rack that a plastic grocery bag sits in. We take it out every day. On the other door under the sink we have a compost bucket mounted. In our new kitchen the recycling bins will be right outside our kitchen door in pull out drawers in the bench in the entryway.

All we have available is the small space under the sink. On the left side, at 14" one runs into the pipe escutcheons and on the right side the escutcheons are at 17". Here is a picture of the space available. I am not sure if there is a tiny enough pull out drawer for one side or not. I am considering also the kind of setup that pulls out when you open the door, leaving the cover behind.{{gwi:1912644}}

I realize that most people devote more space to trash. We just do not have a lot of space available in that critical area. Calling all creative suggestions!

Also, I need suggestions for material for the fireplace hearths. I do not want it to compete with the other elements in the room. First thought was to put some sort of honed stone. I've brought home several sample stones and nothing looks right.

Comments (12)

• barbcollins
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm so jealous. I love the chimney.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Loving your sink and the concept for the kitchen.

• kashmi
    12 years ago

Wonderful stainless sink/countertop set up! I am very jealous. You've done a great job fitting everything into a small space. Plus the hutch really helps keep things from looking institutional.

As to trash: my sister keeps an attractive crock (about 10'' high) on her countertop that she lines w/ grocery bags (or whatever other plastic she can reuse) and then empties it every day. I realize that your countertop space is at a premium, but if you can't find an undercounter solution, that might work.

As to the hearth, are you referring to just the floor space in front of the fireplace or also to the area immediately surrounding the fireplace opening (in the pictures that area looks like it's not yet compete, but that could just be my monitor)? If it's just the floor, here are a couple of thoughts - I don't know where you are geographically, so YMMV.
    Bluestone or a slate to pick up the grey cabinet colors. (Bluestone always reads "grey" to me more than blue.) We have a bluestone hearth that has worked very well.
    Limestone in a color to coordinate with the stone around the fireplace.
    Tile. That might give you different color/finish options.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

It's really looking good.

Why not soapstone on the hearth?

• raro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

what I need to do is line up the samples so you all can see. The soapstone looked too dark and too busy (our hutch soapstone is very veiny), limestone looked too pink or too yellow. I'll be back. Kids on the loose.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love how this is coming together! I have to admit, you had me already with the title of this thread ;)

Why not get a nice looking freestanding can? It does not need to be huge.... One with a step mechanism is great for when you have dirty hands.

• celineike
    12 years ago

its awesome.

its so fun watching your progress!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

This is what we did -- two bins turned sideways in front, one for trash and one for recycling. We decided not to put them on a pullout because that would lift them just enough that we would have to pull them out to use them or they might even hit our sink (10" deep), so we would have to go to a smaller container and the next ones we were finding were much smaller.

You can see that we have a disposal and another basket of supplies behind the bin on the right (trash bags, block oil, more dish soap, etc.) The DW detergent and Bar Keeper's Friend stay in the front of the middle basket with extra sponges in the back. There is also a Never MT connected to a large bottle of soap in one corner, an instant hot tank, the water supply lines, drain and connections for 2 DWs.

We put a pullout trash in the island, but it came down to a trash pullout or a second DW and the DW won. Having used it all for some time now, I have no regrets on either. Hope that helps.

• dreamteam
    12 years ago

That is awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product, very unusual.

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love your choices so far...

I used a door-mount trash can for compost, and it may work for your trash. The product is actually quite nice, and if you're only generating a plastic grocery bag worth, it might be large enough for you. I was surprised at how well it's held up to pretty heavy loads of compost and wet coffee grounds. There is a black plastic bucket with a handle that lifts out of the cylinder. It's really nice that the lid closes it when the door is shut, too. There are several brands, Rev-A-Shelf, Knape & Voight, and I believe also Haefele. I compared dimensions to find one that would work in my space. It looks like this:

• davidro1
    12 years ago

raro I think you will find you can make do with smaller trash containers than any seen so far. This is because you separate things out, you recycle, you compost, etc. I'll bet you shop carefully too so you don't end up with mega packaging.

The sink and the range are far enough apart, in my view. It all looks very good. The drain board is a great thing to have built in to your countertop.

Under the sink I didn't see a filter, or an insta hot tank. I think you still have room for one more spout in your sink back "shelf" area. Whatever did you decide? Or did you leave it open for now, to be decided later?

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Raro, this is so exciting. Agree with palimpsest: why not carry your soapstone countertop over to the hearth? People make woodburning stoves out of the stuff (look at the Tulikivi -- sp? -- website for examples of their fireplaces). You already have plenty of materials going on, would not introduce another unless you need to.

It's fun to "do the bump" with someone you love...only permit people you love in your kitchen and space issues between range and sink are solved.

To me the trash space you describe should be fine -- I wish there were a way to put a small version of one of those tip-out thingies with a footpetal on one side, so that you don't need to touch your hardware/cabinetry with sloppy hands. If I were redoing one thing in my kitchen, that might be the thing. Have you looked at the Haefele site to see what they have invented? They're clever.

Love the stainless sink/counter arrangement. Makes me want to do major surgery.
    Lynn