Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenmonkey_gw

Help!!! SS Fridge is ruining my kitchen layout!!!

KitchenMonkey
9 years ago

After months of delays, my kitchen renovation is almost over. My friend pointed out to me today that the way I designed the kitchen, with the refrigerator sticking out 3 inches past the entrance, will make the kitchen look ugly and/or awkward. I did not think this would look that bad, but then again I've never seen a fridge that protrudes into a doorway.

The refrigerator is 31" deep with door excluding handles, and the wall next to it is only 28" deep. So the fridge will go 3 inches into the 32" open doorway. The fridge has been in storage for almost a year, so it is too late for me to return it. Do you think this will look ugly? Should I sell my fridge on Craigslist and buy a counter depth refrigerator that I can't really afford?

The kitchen is a galley kitchen with very little wiggle room or flexibility because none of the plumbing or gas lines can be moved. The refrigerator cannot be moved to the opposite wall either because of a sloping wall.

Comments (18)

• kam76
    9 years ago

No absolutely do not sell your fridge and buy one you can't afford that will fit less stuff. IMO That is the perfect spot to have a fridge that sticks out a bit. Where you would see it most is if the fridge was in the middle of a run of cabinets and you had 24" deep on either side. Your wall is almost as big, you actually need the fridge to stick out a few inches or you wouldn't be able to open the door. I have seen plenty of kitchens with the fridge on the end, in fact I am looking at my moms right now and I think it looks just fine. Tell your friend to stick a sock in it and quit stressing you out!

• brightm
    9 years ago

4 years ago I bought a CD fridge. I was so excited that my fridge finally wouldn't be sticking out so far. Getting CD wasn't WHY I got a new fridge, the old one was bad. But I was excited.

When they installed it, I didn't realize that it would have to sit out at exactly the same place as the old one because of an end panel that stuck out from the counter to the left. The doors had to sit 'proud' (in front of) that end panel. I always planned to get a saw and get rid of the first few inches of the end panel, but didn't. We got new flooring, that was the perfect time, and I didn't.

I'm currently fridge-less because it's gone to live with my inlaws and I'm getting a new one in my reno. It looks fabulous in their kitchen because of the configuration of the cabinets, but I think yours would be like mine...if you got a CD, it would have to sit out from the wall and be nearly where this one is.

If everything else is set in the kitchen, just live with it. Down the line, if it really bugs you maybe there will be something that could work. But I don't think you'll find it now, and if you don't want to/can't/shouldn't spend the money anyway then best to wait anyway.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

The door will be 3"-4" deep anyway and likely would have to sit proud of the wall to open anyway. See how this door has to be in front of the adjacent counter?

E.g. Samsung fridge:
    "Net Depth without Door Handle(inch) 33.5 inch
    Net Depth without Door(inch) 29 inch"

However your doorway is now a huge pinch point to your kitchen. But then again this may be a kitchen for a small household?

Beware your fridge will likely have to be pulled away from the wall even a bit more, my samsung is supposed to be installed 2" out from the rear wall. You'll need at least 1" to clear the plug.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I faced similar issues in my kitchen with the fridge on the end wall at the kitchen entrance. Your fridge looks really big for the size of your kitchen and I think there is a danger of it looking "hulking".

You may want to look for a narrower and shallower fridge that could be set back a bit and still open properly. My Samsung needs very little clearance on either side in order to be able to have its door front flush with the side wall, and it has integrated handles that don't stick out. I used pieces of wood to figure out exactly how close the fridge could be to a wall and still open properly. Although my previous fridge was larger, I am OK with downsizing because the interior of the fridge is quite ergonomic. I'm cooking scratch meals for a family of four with a 32" wide counter depth fridge. I spent a long time hunting for a fridge that had the right dimensions for my space - there wasn't a huge selection in that size range.

I was really surprised to see many quality-looking appliances on Craigslist for cheap. You may want to investigate what's out there because you're not the only buyer with regrets. I would probably live with the original fridge if I couldn't find a budget replacement option though.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 13:12

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that any fridge of any size next to a wall needs room for the door swing and that you may have to pull it out in order to open the door fully.

Flip everything and the fridge still sticks out, but doesn't stick into the door frame. Also doesn't run the risk of not being able to open it fully.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

You can use more space next to the sink a lot more than next to the range. It's not that difficult to make the changes to move the fridge to the other side. That's what I'd suggest. And put a narrow pull out pantry between it and the wall. You don't have nearly enough space around your sink for both safety and prepping.

• sevrm
    9 years ago

My problem with a stainless steel fridge that sticks out, is what to do about the ugly sides. Every stainless steel fridge I could find only had stainless steel on the front, not the sides.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Where does the doorway go? Is it a garage or the back yard? Or is it the formal dining room? It makes a difference!

With all the flexibility you have in your massive space, I think the fridge is probably just fine.

• carolmka
    9 years ago

We have a counter depth fridge. We needed it for a variety of reasons. One thing I will say though is that our fridge is white and it blends more with our white cabinets. Always live with the SS now and change it out later.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I do not feel the side of my SS fridge is ugly at all. Frankly, given your tight budget and tighter space, I think it was unfair of your friend to even say such a thing.

I say put it in and live with it awhile. My fridge is not in an ideal location, but miles better than it's old. I have certainly gotten used to where it is now. If you truly cannot stand it after a couple months then look for a new fridge.

• silken1
    9 years ago

I don't know if it is possible for you at this stage or even necessary. But my hubby is very handy and framed the wall behind the fridge in such a way that it has a header and therefore did not need 2 x 4 framing in that part of the wall. He used 3/4 inch plywood on the fridge side of the wall which we primed and painted. Then the drywall for the other room that is behind the fridge was just screwed into the plywood rather than into studs. It gave us several inches more to push our fridge in.

• KitchenMonkey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fori,
    The door way goes into a mudroom and garage.

Do you think it will look okay if just the refrigerator door goes past the framed door opening?

If not, I do have some home depot store credit left that I was going to spend on a range hood. They have this Whirlpool counter-depth in "monochromatic stainless steel"

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-21-4-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Monochromatic-Stainless-Steel-Counter-Depth-WRS321CDBM/204177367

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I don't think a counter depth is going to help you against the wall -- you still have to be able to open the door. If that door goes to the garage and mudroom, I think it's probably much less of an issue -- not a visual concern so much as a question of the kind of traffic you get through that door.

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I would give the fridge you have a try. The doors will have to come out further anyway. A recessed plug receptacle may also help you gain a little more depth.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Pfft it's just the mudroom? Then it's fine! As long as you fit through with an armful of groceries.

Like the others said, even with a CD fridge, you aren't going to be totally clear of the doorway if you want to open the thing. Orrrrrr you could find a single door, left hinged, freezer on top model...in counter depth. Unlikely!

I assume you have explored recessing the whole thing into the wall so only the door sticks out? Can't do that with all walls of course, but even doing the plug like Jancey suggests can help.

Try it. It might not be as bad as you think.

• weissman
    9 years ago

If you're concerned about the black sides of the SS fridge, there are (or used to be) a few models that had stainless on all sides but they're a lot more expensive. It is also possible to get stainless panels made to fit your fridge.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

suellen, the non-stainless steel sides are why I'm glad our fridge sticks out a couple of inches past the side panels. The stainless steel doors aren't magnetic. The sliver of grey siding is magnetic and it blends reasonably well. (I don't think I'd like having the sides black as much.) Because magnetic sides give me a place to put the magnet keys for the child locks we have on some of the cabinet doors. One on each side and one on the espresso machine at the other end of the kitchen means there is always a key handy.

• CTN30
    9 years ago

I think it looks like it's going to be fine.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource