Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selphydeg

Bellmont kitchen

selphydeg
11 years ago

Hello, I am in the process of renovating my kitchen. I live in a 12 year old townhouse that we purchased last year. The current kitchen cabinets are ugly builder basic variety. My plan is to install white shaker style cabinets, Caesarstone countertop in wild rice, and keep the existing beige tile floor.

The first place I visited is a small locally owned kitchen remodeling business. They work with Durasupreme and Bellmont, and since I am on a budget, they recommended the Bellmont 1600 frameless cabinets. My kitchen is L shaped, about 13 X 7.5. The design include 18 pieces of cabinets (include one shallow pantry, one blind corner pullout, and one lazy susan). If I get the white paint cabinet, it will be around $9300 and if I use the white thermofoil, then it will be around $8500.

I wonder if this price seem reasonable and if anyone here has used this line of cabinets before.

Comments (27)

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

seems high,but is this an installed price?

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's not installed price. The installation will be another 2200. Do you mean it seems high for Bellmont or high for painted cabinets in general?

• nap101
    11 years ago

I got a price on those cabinets (white shaker wood) with the plywood upgrade. My price was 8400 and my kitchen is a galley smaller than yours with nothing fancy. So the price seems about right to me.

The kitchen design place that was so eager to push those cabinets (not even sure I wanted a price) didn't have any on display for me to look at. So I said to call me when you have some in your showroom. Not sure about the hardware from looking at the website/brochure--looks kind of plastic. And the cabinet boxes are only 5/8 inch with an 1/8 inch backing--he seemed to think that wasn't a problem but I don't know enough to make the call. I know the 1900 line of that brand had 3/4 inch. Maybe someone with knowlegde can pipe in. Or maybe do a search cause I'm sure it's been discussed at length somewhere.

I do like the fact that they say they are environmentally conscious for what that's worth.

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't find much information on this brand. I think a couple of years ago, they used to be call Amero by Pacific Crest. I like that they are frameless and sleek, but I don't like the fact that for 9k, I am only getting mdf box and painted mdf doors.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

it seems high for an L of that size with no island....no peninsula back and probably only one exposed end. I'd probably look around some more.In fact-for an L as you describe-I'd consider RTA....then with the money saved do a new floor.

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should add that I am not handy at all. This is our first house and first remodel. I don't even know how to go about and coordinate everything. The reason I went to this general contractor is that he specializes in kitchens and has his own installation crew and a couple of subcontractors working for him. I just wish they work with more brands of cabinets. Bellmont seems a little on the expensive side, but if it is high quality, then I feel better about paying the premium. Just to clarify, the upper and lower cabinets for the L shaped kitchen is $6800, the pantry against the wall (not attached to the countertop) is over 2000. I guess it would be more like a U shape kitchen.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

paying a little extra for piece of mind can be worth it.Personally, It would be more than what I would spend on a townhouse kitchen.However,if there is some bells/whistles that he's got in there that is giving you uber-satsifaction,don't worry about it. For instance,molding application,lighting package....short of that,I would ask him if you hunt down some hardwood would he install a new floor, or tear out the tile,so you can have someone put it in with very little trouble after he's done.You'll figure it all out.

• nap101
    11 years ago

I don't think the Bellmont 1600 is considered high quality. But that might be subjective. The 1900 look a little better made. They do have a website, although not too much information.

Have you had a chance to see the cabinets in person? I would hope if your GC is so keen on them he could recommend someplace that you could look at them.

• eam44
    11 years ago

Honestly, you're spending a fortune and you really don't have to. If you want assembled cabs look at Cliqstudios Rockford or Dayton painted white or linen. If you think you can use a screwdriver, check out Barker (made in USA). Hire a professional to install them, but you're paying about twice what you need to pay for cabinets, and getting an inferior product.

Barker:
    http://www.barkercabinets.com/default.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: CliqStudios

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My opinion on cabinets is warped. I am so used to the apartment style kitchen cabinets that basically anything with soft close drawers and a lazy susan seem fancy to me. These Bellmont cabinets are more expensive than the Kraftmaid ones from HD. I just don't know how good they are and if they are higher quality than the Kraftmaid ones. I do like the fact that they are frameless. Are frameless usually more expensive than framed? I also live in So Cal, so everything is more expensive than the midwest.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

Frameless is at least a bit more costly than framed. In a townhouse,mid to slightly above mid grade framed cabinets would certainly be fine in my opinion. Frameless comes into play when inches matter-a very tight kitchen with marginal amt of storage space. How do you feel about the space avail for storage in your kitchen? Go through some mags- Consumer Reports kitchen issue/Fine Homebuilding or This Old House mags-they have kitchen issues.[avail at library] A kitchen project entails at least some reading
    and understanding of all the aspects. If you can't do that,I'd postpone the project until you can get some of this prep before you make decisions.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

That's not really that bad of a price for that many cabinets. If you want to lower the price, combine some of the cabinets and use less cabinets but larger doors.

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its easy to find reviews on Ikea, Kraftmaid, and other brands from big companies. When I google Bellmont or Pacific Crest, there are almost no information about them. I have only being in the house for one year, so I am not hurting for space, but I am excited about the pullout and lazy susan since I have 2 blind corners right now.

The biggest reason for a kitchen reno is that I hate the white tile countertop along with the yellow toned cabinets with huge face frame. In California, the white tile countertop is builder basic like laminate in the midwest. I hate it much more than laminate since everything gets in between the grout. We have very hard water here and the faucet is also on its last leg.

• SAN210
    9 years ago

I purchased Belmont cabinets last year and I have had a lot of trouble with them. I was told by three different kitchen design centers to buy the 1600 series. What a mistake. My contractor was astonished at how poorly the backs were. Yes, 1/8" thick. Not very sturdy. Also, the lazy suzan corner cabinets didn't come with any support pieces to install. My contractor had to make them. The white showed through the cracks in the corner doors (I have graphite--color) and it took three shipments to get the gray shelving in the correct size. Some of the cabinet doors needed to be replaced as the finish was so poor-skid marks from the processing. Now I have cracks in the finish--looks like someone tried to antique the corners and under the pulls. Not worth the money. Guess we'll see if they stand behind their product. At this point I would advise NOT to buy Belmont. I would have been happy to purchase the next level as my kitchen is small and it wouldn't have add much to the cost. Bad advice from the Belmont sales rep as all three design centers have the same sales rep. Must have been a big company promotion or something. So disappointed.

• SAN210
    9 years ago

I purchased Belmont cabinets last year and I have had a lot of trouble with them. I was told by three different kitchen design centers to buy the 1600 series. What a mistake. My contractor was astonished at how poorly the backs were. Yes, 1/8" thick. Not very sturdy. Also, the lazy suzan corner cabinets didn't come with any support pieces to install. My contractor had to make them. The white showed through the cracks in the corner doors (I have graphite--color) and it took three shipments to get the gray shelving in the correct size. Some of the cabinet doors needed to be replaced as the finish was so poor-skid marks from the processing. Now I have cracks in the finish--looks like someone tried to antique the corners and under the pulls. Not worth the money. Guess we'll see if they stand behind their product. At this point I would advise NOT to buy Belmont. I would have been happy to purchase the next level as my kitchen is small and it wouldn't have add much to the cost. Bad advice from the Belmont sales rep as all three design centers have the same sales rep. Must have been a big company promotion or something. So disappointed.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Yes, 1/8" thick

According to their website, the back panel is 1/4".

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

I think I know of the owner of the Bellmont cabinets - he isn't a friend or anything, so I think I'm unbiased here...they're made in the Auburn/Sumner area, SE of Seattle. So based on his reputation as a trustworthy, honorable guy, I was interested in his cabinets for our new house. But they didn't have the unique, country look we were looking for in our log house. So we went with a custom cabinet company out of Monroe, WA. Good deal, but from what I know, Bellmont would also be good if they have what you like. They have won some awards - one of best small companies in Washington, or something.

This post was edited by gladys1924 on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 17:10

• mmleach
    9 years ago

We are also interested in Bellmont cabinets. We are thinking of getting the 1900, but am not sure because I cannot find reviews of these cabinets. gladys1924 may I ask what custom cabinet company you went with from Monroe? I live in Woodinville. When I searched for kitchen cabinets in Monroe, I was surprised to find so many.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

Mollysam - we went with Spencer Cabinets in Monroe. Excellent company; you should read about their manufacturing methods! We found their prices to be comparable to those at the big box stores, but better quality and *custom*, of course. If you contact them, tell them that you were referred by the couple with the new log house in Granite Falls. :-). They have a FB page, btw. Carl and Dottie Spencer are terrific people.

• mmleach
    9 years ago

Thank you so much gladys1924! We will certainly check them out.

• williamsem
    9 years ago

I had Bellmont 1900 series installed almost a year ago, and they are lovely. I spent over a year at GW planning and researching, so it was not a decision made lightly. I knew I wanted frameless cabinets because my kitchen is not big, which limited my options as frameless is not common here. I ended up working with a company that reps several frameless lines and most of their business is frameless, so between that and my research I knew what I was getting.

They were not cheap, however had I taken my final design back for a re-quote at the Kraftmaid dealer I think it would have been pretty close in price, but I got a better product.

I have a bunch of drawers in my kitchen, which really adds up in terms of extra space gained with frameless. I have 15 drawers each with an extra 1.5-2 inches in width vs framed cabinets. Plus my 12 in pantry pull out has more useable width. I don't think it would function as needed for us in a framed line, we have a ton of stuff in there!

If you read the frameless threads here (search via google for better results, add "site=ths.gardenweb" to your terms) you will learn a ton. High grade particle board is generally preferred for frameless for the dimentional stability.

My Bellmont cabinets are awesome. They are -very- heavy due to the furniture grade, very dense particleboard used. They also have full tops, which helps with keeping things square, but also supports the granite very evenly and allows the kitchen to function while waiting for the counter installation. All the specs are on the website, I don't recall them at the moment, but I spent many hours comparing them to the info I read here and was satisfied with the quality.

I'm a bit pressed for time lately (hence I haven't been posting much) but I have posted quite a bit about my kitchen here including floor plans, many pics, and a chronicle of the actual contruction. Come to think of it, this time last year we were in nearly done with the majority of the work (still working on finishing things up due to other remodel projects, half our great room is currently in the kitchen).

If you have questions after reading some of the older posts, feel free to contact me directly. Not sure I'll be able to check back on GW this coming week due to work and an out of town wedding.

• shakattk
    9 years ago

I became a Bellmont dealer recently and unfortunately have had problems with the quality of the cabinets. There have been delaminations, warped cabinet boxes, size discrepancies, hinge issues and missing parts. The company does not stand by its product either. I would recommend choosing another company.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have had no such problems with the Bellmont cabinets that were installed in a December 2013. One drawer slide failed and they replaced it with heavy duty glides, no questions asked, and very promptly.

• shakattk
    9 years ago

I have ordered and installed 3 different projects now and they all have issues. The other lines I represent are much better quality and stand by their product. Bellmont does not. Their cabinets are delaminating within 3 months. Badly warped boxes in their premium line vary by 3/4 inch. Several drawer slides failed. A cabinet arrived with the back portion separated from the sides. And one set of kitchen cabinets was off by 4 inches, requiring a longer wall to accommodate them.

• PRO
    Victoria Reginato CKD
    8 years ago

Yes, I say you're in good hands with Belmont cabinets. That sounds like a very fair price for the white painted cabinets in the shaker style and if you look at my Houzz page you will see I have used that very door quite a bit. It is very popular here in the Bay Area. I prefer the painted over the thermal foil but the thermal foil is bulletproof. so if you have young children and pets thermofoil will be your most durable finish but I love the look of the white paint.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Victoria why are you bringing up a thread that is almost a year old and then telling people to go to look at your houzz page? Trying to drum up some business maybe?