Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellacucina_gw

Help decide banquette layout (and other questions)...

bellacucina
13 years ago

Hi! I posted about banquette options before, with drawings my DH made with Sketchup but they werenÂt as exact as the KD drawings below (thank you if you responded to my post!) Here are 2 KD drawings showing an L-shaped banquette facing fam. rm, and another L-shaped facing the kitchen. Sorry the numbers are so hard to read!

We are planning a renovation using existing space, but are adding windows, and moving the door from kitchen to family room - we're trying to make the kitchen and fam.rm feel more integrated so that guests 'flow' into the fam.rm. rather than congregate in the kitchen. And to maximize kitchen size. Right now we have a rectangular table for 6 (for our family of 4--2 DDs 14 & 11) in the space where the banquette would be.

Please help me decide whether the banquette option works, and if so, which configuration (facing fam.rm or facing kitchen makes more sense? (I think I am 2D-visually challenged. If I see it in a photo, IÂm much better, but with drawings --not so much. . .) IÂm driving my DH and KD nuts  if you think a banquette works here please let me know!

Also, is the off-center sink & range (in relation to the sink window, and island) unusual/awkward?

Finally, if you have any thoughts on where a message nook could be located in this space? Right now we have a desk (full of clutter and a computer) where the oven/pantry wall will be. The desk will be gone, and computer will go to the office and weÂll use laptops in the kitchenÂ.but we havenÂt figured out the where to put phones/pens etc.

Thanks so much for any advice on these or other issues you might see!!

Comments (11)

• sandlll
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Our layouts are very similar. I like the banquette facing the family room especially to make the rooms flow together. I think that would encourage people to use both spaces more when entertaining. Here's how we are laying ours out

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks sandlll, they are similar -- are you putting in a bench/banquette on the fam.rm side of the peninsula? I can't zoom into the photo. And what is the large open area to the right of the island --is that an eating area? I'll have to stick some photos ofour existing kitchen in photobucket... Happy 4th!!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I like the second one...the kitchen in is more open and eliminates the always problematical corner & corner storage!

One of the concerns I have about the first layout is that something on the counter behind the bench could be knocked over onto the bench (or anyone sitting there) b/c that counter isn't very deep.

A note about counter depths and aisle widths...be sure your KD is measuring counter edge-to-counter edge and not cabinet edge-to-cabinet edge b/c the counter edge measurement is the more important measurement in both cases. In your layouts, the measurements appear to be based on a mix of cabinet & counter edges...not very useful for planning purposes. There's approx a 1.5" overhang on each counter edge that's not against the wall. As an example, in the case of the island, the actual depth of the island is the depth of the cabinets + 1.5" + 1.5".

Message/Command Center. I think the best location is on the 32-1/4" wall shared by the Mudroom & Kitchen. You could do one of two things...

1. Put in 24" deep cabinets partially (12" or so) or wholly recessed into the Mudroom (Upper + Base cabinet OR Tall Cabinet w/upper doors that open into the cabinet).

You could put in 27" cabinets and that would leave you with 5" to accommodate trim around the doorway plus a couple of inches of "breathing room" b/w the trim & cabinets.

Tall Cabinet vs Upper/base pair...If you put in a tall cabinet with upper doors, you would have the option of leaving it open most of the time and closing it if you have company and want to hide any clutter that may have accumulated. Sweeby has such a setup (she calls it her "Organization Closet") (Pic in this thread Built in Kitchen Desk questions)

A base/upper cabinet pair, OTOH, allows you to have some open space as well as storage above & below. It allows allow you to extend your counterspace area...if you love your counter material you might like this option!

OR Make that wall 9" to 10" deep and put in a Message Center Niche approx 29" wide x 9" deep (leaving 1" depth for drywall & plywood...the drywall for the Mudroom side & plywood on the Niche side for added strength)...similar to mine...

The only thing I will suggest is make it taller...go from as close to the floor as possible (maybe 6" to 9" or so off the floor). I didn't think of that until it was too late. I could have added more storage (like mail or directories) or decorative space.

Our niche is 20"W x 47"H x 7"D (The opening is actually 48" high, but the sill takes up 1" so the net usable area is 47"H.) I'm not home right now to measure, but I think ours is 3' off the floor.

Now, for some things you didn't ask about...

First, DW location. Right now, that DW is in the middle of the Prep Zone...whether you prep on the island or on the counter b/w the sink & range....it's smack dab in the middle and in the way! I strongly suggest you move the DW to the other side of the sink! The added advantage of moving the DW is that you can then store dishes in the cabinet above and to the right of the DW...not only putting the DW near dish storage but also putting the dishes very near their point-of-use...the table...a big plus!

Are those "Dish Drawers" DW drawers or where you were thinking of storing your dishes? If the former, do you need another set of DW drawers? If the latter, the dishes are in the middle of the Prep Zone and Cooking Zone and will mean anyone emptying the DW or setting the table will get in the way of anyone prepping or cooking.

Moving the dishes above and to the right (as you face the DW) of the DW on the wall will take dish storage out of the way...all part of the separation of the Cleanup Zone from the Prep & Cooking Zones...and something to strive for. I'd store mixing bowls, etc. in those drawers to the left of the Prep Sink...puts them right where you need them!

Next, Warming Drawer location. I suggest moving the WD to the cabinet b/w the Cleanup Sink and range. The closer a WD is to the range (or cooktop), the more useful it is and the more often it gets used.

• dyno
    13 years ago

My 2nd sink is in a similar location with the same aisle width. Good for one cook but too tight for two. It's always a balance of proximity and utility plus your own way of living.

I would consider moving the prep sink to the fridge area and moving the fridge beside the wall oven while deepening those cabs to 30" deep. Those counter depth fridges are pretty shallow.

We are doing a banquette as well. I'm sure you'll love yours.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I just realized I never explained why I think the wall b/w the Mudroom & Kitchen is the best location....it's b/c it's convenient to the main family entrance (Mudroom) for dropping off keys & checking for phone messages when getting home as well as to the rest of the main house for access to the phone in general and perhaps other things stored there w/o getting in the way of anything else...kitchen, DR, FR, etc.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I like the second layout with the banquette facing the kitchen. It seems to flow better and have a more natural fit.

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello buehl & everyone.

Thanks so much for your input, buehl. I've admired your message center before in other threads --you're a huge help! The mudroom location makes sense --I've been thinking it's the perfect place for a keydrop etc. It used to be the laundry room, but we've moved the machines to our master br closet so we could put a dog crate there (puppy is now 1 y.o.). Once the kitchen is redone, and now that she's pretty well trained, we think we can reclaim that room. The DW location totally makes sense (as a matter of fact, my 14 y.o and I are always bumping into eachother as I'm making dinner, and she's emptying the DW --not a good situation w/ a teenager that doesn't want to be emptying dishes anyway!!) --I should've seen that, and am glad you pointed that out. Also the dish drawer is meant to be the kind that holds dishes-not a 2d DW - I like your location change too. Your comments are MUCH appreciated!

Other thoughts are also welcome! And Happy 4th Everybody!

• americanpie
    13 years ago

We're planning a banquet too. Haven't posted before but am starting to plan and saw this. I prefer the 2d one b/c the first feels like its in the family room - - we have a bay window so it will hug the opening. But since you don't have that, the inner facing feels more natural.

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well... some spaces seem to naturally fit a banquette --like your bay window, americanpie - -that's why I was initially concerned that what I'm doing will look like I'm trying to force the banquette into this space just b/c I like a banquette.

I think I'm liking the version facing the kitchen (2d pic) better but one downside is that I lose cabinet space (yes it avoids the corner cab tho) from the peninsula. . . .

Does anyone think it's awkward that the sink & range are off center from the island, and that the sink is not centered on the window?

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

KD knows I'm having a tough time w/ this decision, and said that maybe a banquette is not the right idea for this kitchen - - and that we could just do a table with cushy chairs...

That's not helping with my indecision!!! The inner facing one was starting to win me over too . . .

Please tell me if you think a banquette is WRONG for this space. I know I am the one who has to live with it, but it's comforting knowing others' opinions :) Thank you!!

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

I love banquettes, so I'm biased in the same way as you.... I can't help you with the banquette vs. table w/cushy chairs question.

I did want to chime in about plan A vs plan B. I really like the idea of the second plan with the banquette facing into the kitchen. Something no one else has pointed out -- it will be easier to clear dishes from the banquette table to the dishwasher (as well as emptying the clean dishwasher) especially if you follow buehl's advice about moving the dishwasher to the right of the sink.

If you went with the first plan with the banquette facing into the family room, I don't think you could set the table or clear dirty dishes in one easy movement.

There are a number of kitchen photos around with the stove and vent hood flanked by windows, and they are really pretty. It is unusual to have a sink near a window but not centered.... you have to decide if you'll be comfortable with an oblique view outside, or not. Consider whether there's a view that you want to accentuate, or not.

Good luck with refining the plan -- as you can tell, you'll get plenty of help here.