Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I vent my range hood or microwave from my kitchen

Posted by dreamojean (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 1:10

I'm interested in understanding how I can vent my over-range microwave (or range hood) to the outside of my brownstone's parlor floor.

We're installing a new kitchen on our parlor floor and the range is near the door to the outside, and we have tin ceilings I don't want to disturb and our chimney is on the wall near the range - so I'm not sure how we vent to the outside without an unsightly vent cable going through the cabinets (and we need all the cab space we can get) or up OVER the cabinets, and around past the chimney and out the wall between chimney and door. It seems like a logistical and visual challenge to do the vent work.

Any suggestions? Photos showing how it looks, would be helpful as well. I'm completely ignorant in this area, since I've been living in the city so long that I'm used to non-vented stoves (right now we have a microwave over the stove and the kitchen is nowhere near an outside wall so the microwave just vents - into the kitchen), and suspect I've never had a properly vented stove in NYC, and I've been living there for 21 years.

I've included a photo of the temp kitchen showing range and future door location, chimney is in the corner between them, cabinets will be IKEA 39" uppers, with room over them for a cable or even a 2nd row of upper cabinets hiding a vent - but that seems like a lot of money on a 2nd row mostly just for partly hiding an exhaust cable.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I vent my range hood or microwave from my kitchen

Exposed ductwork in an older home can be quite charming. It gives it an evolved over time feel. Or, it can be hidden within the cabinets. Either way, it will have to go straight up and then left to go out of the building. I'd do at least an 8" duct, as that gives you more versatility than a 6" duct. 6" limits the possibilities down the road. Doing 8" now instead of 6" won't increase the cost but a couple of dollars, and you could possibly do a higher BTU stove and vent at some point if that interests you because the infrastructure would already be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here