Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamojean

How do I vent my range hood or microwave from my kitchen

dreamojean
10 years ago

I'm interested in understanding how I can vent my over-range microwave (or range hood) to the outside of my brownstone's parlor floor.

We're installing a new kitchen on our parlor floor and the range is near the door to the outside, and we have tin ceilings I don't want to disturb and our chimney is on the wall near the range - so I'm not sure how we vent to the outside without an unsightly vent cable going through the cabinets (and we need all the cab space we can get) or up OVER the cabinets, and around past the chimney and out the wall between chimney and door. It seems like a logistical and visual challenge to do the vent work.

Any suggestions? Photos showing how it looks, would be helpful as well. I'm completely ignorant in this area, since I've been living in the city so long that I'm used to non-vented stoves (right now we have a microwave over the stove and the kitchen is nowhere near an outside wall so the microwave just vents - into the kitchen), and suspect I've never had a properly vented stove in NYC, and I've been living there for 21 years.

I've included a photo of the temp kitchen showing range and future door location, chimney is in the corner between them, cabinets will be IKEA 39" uppers, with room over them for a cable or even a 2nd row of upper cabinets hiding a vent - but that seems like a lot of money on a 2nd row mostly just for partly hiding an exhaust cable.

Comment (1)