Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moderncucina

Cultured Marble Kitchen Countertops

moderncucina
15 years ago

Greetings!!!

I want to know if anyone has ever used cultured marble for a kitchen countertop? I am really looking for a marble-like surface that is NOT marble. I want it to look like white carrara marble. Any suggestions??? The truth is I LOVE marble and really want to use the real deal for the kitchen countertops.... BUT I don't trust myself to keep up with the maintenece or want to worry about spills.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• edlakin
    15 years ago

a few people here have had good luck with Danby marble, which is real marble, but is a harder variety that holds up better to kitchen use. there are a couple granites that somewhat mimic the look of marble. and caesarstone makes a counter surface called "misty carrera" that's a decent-looking facsimile.

good luck!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

And Okite has a few, one of which is available through Zodiaq. (bianco carrara)

• alku05
    15 years ago

If I remember correctly, cultured marble is a less suitable counter material than real marble. I also love marble, but knew I couldn't trust myself to keep it as nice as I would want it (I'm a pristine gal, not a patina gal). We chose a white marble called andromeda white and although no one will mistake it for real marble, it still gives our kitchen the contrast we wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kompy
    15 years ago

American Marble Industries (Ohio) has done some kitchen jobs. I have only seen pictures. They looked great. However, it was almost the same price as Corian. Corian has some nice 'marble-ish' colors....as does Mystera. I would consider that before doing cultured marble for my kitchen.

Mystera looks the most like marble. I don't believe their composite is like Corian or Hi-Macs...might have some polyester in it. That said, I would still prefer Mystera over Cult. Marble in my kitchen. I recently saw a mystera top in a local restaurant and it was beautiful.

You can check out the website below to see if it's available in your area.
    Kompy

ps. Caesarstone's Misty Cararra is a nice material too. I have a display in my showroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystera

• roserx
    15 years ago

Bite the bullet and go w/ granite and scrap the trailer park travertine (cult marble).

• moderncucina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the info!

I found a guy about 45 minutes from my house who sells Mystera. I'm calling tomorrow to see if I can go take a look. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

I took a look at the Andromdea White yesterday, and i'm considering using it. It's on my "possible" list. I went today to look at the Caeserstone based on a suggestion from someone on AT. It might work, but I'm thinking it might be a little *too* grey.

I loved the Danby! ... I took samples from the stone yard and put lemon juice and ketchup all over them. The lemon juice almost sizzled on impact! hehe. I left them on for about an hour or so. They wiped up easily but did leave a mark. I'm deciding if I can live with that or not.

Roserex... LOL...

• lorila
    15 years ago

Have you tried looking at Quartzite? My understanding is that it has the durability of granite, but the look of marble.