Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlightfarm

Laminate countertops..... apron front sink... is it possible??

starlightfarm
14 years ago

My friend is remodeling her kitchen and dearly loves my farm house sink. Due to budget constraints, she may have to go with laminate countertops. Is this possible?? Do they make any type of a "drop-in" apron front sink?

Also, she is attempting to use her current cabinets and the sink base is the standard.... so she doesn't have much room for the "apron front" (about 8 1/2 inches, and that is counting the countertop).... is there any way to "retrofit" an apron front into an existing cabinet? There is no way to modify the doors, as there is a routing type design that frames the inside of the door.

Any suggestions on a shallower apron front sink that may work in this application?? Stainless steel would be preferred, but she is open to cast iron and fireclay (of course, the less expensive, the better! ;) )

Thanks for any advice that I can pass along!

Comments (20)

• shelayne
    14 years ago

IKEA has overmount fireclay apron front sinks. One is for a 36" cabinet and one is for a 24" cabinet. I think the depth of the sink is close to 8-9". The 36" sink is a double bowl. I have seen drop-in farm sinks, though, that are much more expensive, so she could probably find something to fit her particular cabinet, if she researches it.

You can retrofit any sink base for an apron sink; you just need to construct a cradle or sturdy shelf for it to sit on, and if not the exact size, you would just need to trim it out on the sides. You can order doors from many different replacement door companies. She might have to shop around, if her door style is not a common one, but she could probably find it. These doors are custom made to any size.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA large apron front sink

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Forgot the link for the single-bowl 25" farm sink.

Also I re-read what you wrote about your friend's doors, and it sounds as if they have the 3/8" edge profile, which I have seen at replacement door vendors. There are also many that will work to your specs; they just need a photo or a prototype. She could also just hang a pretty curtain, instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA 25

• starlightfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

AH!! A curtain is an idea! I'll mention that to her.... as well as share the info on the IKEA sink. They just opened an new IKEA store about an hour from me... this may be the perfect opportunity to make a road trip (I've been DYING to go!).

Thanks for the info.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Oh lucky you! I have to visit my sister in Houston, and even then it's another hour trek to Ikea. And I think that with the apron front sink, the curtain actually looks better - more authenic if you will. Also adds color and breaks up the cabinetry. Good luck.

• starlightfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It's great to know that it is "do-able"... now I just need to see if she wants to attempt it... it may be easier to go with a big drop-in single bowl sink.

I'm just concerned about the edges of the laminate getting water damage.....

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>I'm just concerned about the edges of the laminate getting water damage.....

There aren't any "edges." The domsjo has a lip that sits on the laminate, just like the skirt on a drop in sink (only it's only on three sides rather than four, because those are all that make contact with the counter. You'll see when you see the sink in person.

• hestia_flames
    14 years ago

If her sink cabinet won't fit the Ikea sinks, could she afford to purchase just the one cabinet? I have often seen bump out cabinets for sinks - if she could find Ikea cabinet doors that she liked, add fake "bun" feet to the front of the cabinet, and it could look like a free standing piece of furniture.

Also, has your friend considered butcher block? Ikea sells it, and many here and on the Ikea fans site recommend using Waterlox (in areas where food will not be put onto the counters.) Mineral oil also works well (I like adding melted beeswax to my oil.) I am mentioning this because it is very reasonable at Ikea, fairly straightforward to cut using the right tools, and looks wonderful. If you friend is painting her cabinets white, it would look fantastic - there is even a deeper piece of butcher block that she could cut for a bump out. But I also really love the idea of using Shelayne's idea of using fabric. Very pretty.

• prill
    14 years ago

My carpenter retrofit my cabinet for my farm sink. Let me know if you want to see a pic.

• starlightfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

prill.... a picture would be wonderful!! My Dad is helping them do the remodel and he is quite handy (he installed my Shaw's farm sink... and it fits perfectly!!).

Because of the depth of most sinks, I really think that it is going to be impossible to get the apron front that she really likes (unless a shelf is built to hold the sink and as someone mentioned.... using fabric to cover the space).

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

If you go to ikeafans, there are several threads there about installing a Domsjo in non-ikea cabinets, like this one, which includes pics to show how it was done. You may need to register there to read it/

Here is a link that might be useful: domsjo in regular cabinet

• prill
    14 years ago

Here's a pic of what we did. We did get the doors back on no problem. No need for curtains...

Here's a pic with the doors back on - we just had to move them down a bit. I'm sure that will depend on your friends cabinets. Good luck.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Prill, what type counter top is that? So, you can do an undermount with this sink. Someone asked the question which goes first, the sink or counter and the moderator said that you had to put the counter in first, that there was a lip, and it was an overmount sink. But, I guess you modified for that.

• prill
    14 years ago

My counters are soapstone. Mine is an undermount sink. It had to go in before the counters because the counter goes over it. If the sink has a lip, I would think the counter would go in first. Mine is a Franke fireclay sink.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

You can undermount one of the domsjo sinks (there's one that's just a regular drop in, not farmhouse style) but not the ikea farmhouse sinks. But you can't undermount any farmhouse sink in laminate anyway--isn't that where this whole thread began?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Should have specified that the drop in non-farmhouse domsjo can be undermounted in stone or quartz or corian. No sink can be undermounted in laminate except the acrylic ones that come with the countertop or from that one company that does them as aftermarkets.

• prill
    14 years ago

Sorry - am I misunderstanding the type of sink? I assumed by farm house you meant apron front...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Yes, but it's in a laminate countertop, prill.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Karran makes a whole line of undermount sink models that are meant to be used with laminate.

And the aftermarket company is called CounterSeal (http://www.counter-seal.com/ - it's a sealing system that prevents water from getting to the sub-strate of the counters (the mdf or plywood).

Either of those is probably a good option. And yes, you can have a carpenter retrofit a cabinet, but you'd have to cut down the doors, buy new doors, or use a curtain as suggested above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karran undermount sinks for laminate counters

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

circuspeanut, Starlightfarm wanted a farm house sink. Unfortunately I didn't see any of those with Karran. But thanks for the link! Nice to know there are other options besides the Wilsonart undermount sinks for laminate.

starlightfarm it looks like the Ikean overmount sink may be what your friend needs. I'm not going for that look, but it's great to know laminate owners have some options! Good luck, and please post pics after her sink is in.