Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Request for advice on mitered edge for 2cm carrara counter top

Posted by Sarah_in_SF (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 0:54

Hi all,

I'm new here. :) I've purchased a 2cm slab of carrara to replace the existing granite in my kitchen and my fabricator is recommending a 1.5" mitered edge. I am realizing now that I prefer the look of a thinner edge, but the fabricator says that in order to cover up the 5/8 sub-top the 1.5" mitered edge will give the best result. Does anyone have any thoughts on this as far as other options? If the edge were, say, 1.25", it seems to me that you would only see the sub-top if you stooped down and looked for it, but maybe I'm off-base about that. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Request for advice on mitered edge for 2cm carrara counter to

With the 5/8 plywood and the 2 cm slab thickness, that alone needs 1.41 inches of edge detail to cover it. Factor in glue, etc, and the junction where the plywood meets the cabinets, you're looking at over 1.5 inches needed to cover the edge.

Unless I am figuring it wrong, which could be entirely possible. :-)

o

Sarah_in_SF:

If you prefer the look of the thinner edge, go for it. Eliminate the sub top; it is unnecessary. You'll save the cost of the plywood and the cost of the labor to miter and have the look you wanted anyway.

o

• Posted by ctycdm 10b/Sunset 24 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 8:59

I ran a small 3/8"x3/4" base shoe molding under the overhang to hide the edge of the plywood rough top.
I chose to keep the rough top, as I wanted to maintain the extra height it provided for my counter tops.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 9:07

o

Thanks so much for the responses. I like the idea of the shoe molding to hide the plywood--I'll definitely look into this since I don't want to lose the counter height by skipping the plywood all together.

o

Hi Sarah in SF. I have a daughter named Sarah who lives in SF. My favorite name and my favorite city. :)

In the Bay Area most slabs seem to be 2 cm with 5/8" plywood base. That's what I have in my kitchen. I have Caesarstone with a built-up eased edge.

I just had my guest bath remodeled. I went with carrara on my vanity. The vanity has a built-in flush top, so I didn't need the plywood. So I didn't need a built-up edge to obscure the plywood.

o

Hi linelle :). I had heard that 2cm was the norm here (though I saw some 3cm carrara in a restaurant today and thought--I should've tried harder to find it! Love the idea of a flush top in order to hide the plywood, but I'm tall and hate the idea of losing that height.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here