Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Placement of outlets on backsplash

Posted by candyheart (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 0:41

Remodeling kitchen-- is there a standard measurement for placement of outlets on the backsplash. How high should they be placed, how far apart?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Placement of outlets on backsplash

Plugmold is the way to go

o

I completely agree with deeageux, but there are many who do not. Perhaps not on this forum, but among your contractors? At least mine all acted as if I were installing an open pit outhouse. I actually love mine and wish I had fewer outlets. I ended up putting in many of both (long story).

Check with your city. Mine has codes about it all. In some places plugmold is disallowed. In others spacing is very tightly specified in terms of distance to corners, from water sources, etc, etc. An electrician who works with inspectors regularly will be your best source for this information if you're in a highly regulated locale.

Some people have placed plugmold on an angled strip of wood to great effect - something to think about.

o

how far apart?

The model code (upon which nearly all local codes are based) specifies that no spot on a counter run can be more than 2' from an outlet. Thus, you can figure that the outlets may be at most 4' apart. There are other subtleties, and, as Aliris suggests, a licensed electrician and/or your code inspector is your best bet for this info.

The codes don't specify how high. If you are thinking about this ahead of time, you can avoid messing up the tile pattern on your backsplash.

o

Something to consider, don't put two outlets near each other that are on the same circuit breaker. Otherwise, you might overload the CB when cooking waffles in the waffle iron while cooking pancakes on the electric griddle.

Too many outlets too close together is the problem I see with plugmolds.

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here