Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannaca_gw

Finished mid-century modern remodel

joannaca
13 years ago

I have been meaning to post some kitchen photos since we moved into the house in May, but this is the first time it's has been tidy enough to photograph! And now that I look at the photos, I still see some odds and ends that need attention, like those cables under the desk, ugh! I want to thank the Academy, and everyone who helped me in the design phase, particularly Beuhl, who came up with the end result.

The cabinets are custom made mahogany and I went with an induction cooktop, which I love. But, I have to say that the warming drawer is my all time favorite appliance right now. I use it everyday. I never realized how handy it could be.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

If you want to see photos of the rest of the remodel, visit the link below.

THANKS AGAIN!

Here is a link that might be useful: Midcentury Modern Makeover

Comments (18)

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow...fabulous...and I like that you got those red stools, they look awesome in there with your other red items. Love the cabinets and use of black with your countertops. GREAT JOB!!!

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and so sleek and well, modern looking! You put everything together so well. I looked at the rest of your house and it is as pretty as the kitchen. Great pool and I like your bathroom tile colors too. You should be proud of all. Enjoy it all.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Turned out great.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Very nice! I love the backsplash solution.

• willinak
    13 years ago

Mui bueno !sp.

Love the bath glass tile backsplash!
    What black swivel chairs are those?

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Now that's some fancy shizzle! Looks great. Enjoy!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

A pretty good looking kitchen to start; an even more gorgeous one at the finish! Very, very nice job. Enjoy!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Love it! The way that kitchen glistens in the photos...I just love it!

Great job.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Another terrific MCM kitchen--two in one day (sochi's, too)--Lovin' it! Those mahogany cabs are gorgeous (in the one shot above, the luster/graining seems to glow). Backsplash is perfect with your granite and your cabs, too. Love the red stools--what an awesome red they are!

re: switchplates (read on your blog you want to change the ones on your backpslash)--check out arnev.com. They have a nice selection and are terrific to work with. They can make a mahogany one for the end of your peninsula (radiused or flat/straight edge--flat/straight edge would look great with your cabs), and you can even specify whether you want the grain to run vertical or horizontal (we had the cherry ones we got from Arnev stained/finished by our cab manuf to match our cabs).

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oooh now that is sleeeeeeeeek.

Very, very nice! Love the red bar stools, they add that extra "oomph". Congrats!

• kaysd
    13 years ago

What a gorgeous remodel! I want those cabinets! (They match my office furniture.) Were your cabinets made by a local company? What type of wood is on your floors?

I can't wait to look at the photos of the rest of your house later. (My company's fire wall won't let me through.)

• sochi
    13 years ago

Stunning, beautiful kitchen, congratulations! I love, love, love the mahogany cabinets. They do almost seem to glow, wow. I'd love to see more pictures of your backsplash, it is really intriguing and looks fabulous. I love the red stools too! Enjoy your beautiful space, work REALLY well done!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Stunning! Love everything--the bar stools, backsplash, shiny granite, etc.! Congratulations and enjoy!

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Such gorgeous wood! And the contrast between the old lighting and the new just leaps out of the before&after photos.

My favorite part may be that backsplash. It is subtle, and stunning. Way to take a risk!

Congratulations.

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I only wish the photos were bigger so I could see more of the detail. As others have said that wood grain is fabulous.

Congrats!!
    Eliz

• jumab
    13 years ago

Stunning!! It looks beautiful and the backsplash looks great!

• sochi
    13 years ago

I second the vote for more and bigger pictures if you have them! I'd love to see more detail.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I am drooling here. Just gorgeous! Wow.