Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Which Rev-A-Shelf should I pick?

sixkeys
9 years ago

I thought this would be an easy decision - I didn't know that there would be multiple choices. Can someone explain the pros/cons of these trash options:

Bottom mount aluminum frame

Bottom mount wood frame

Both bottom mount frames come in a "tandem heavy duty slides" option.

Top mount:

I was somewhat leaning towards the bottom mount aluminum frame for the ease of cleaning any spills. Would the tandem heavy duty slides help with durability? But it does seem like the top mount might do less wear and tear since the glide mechanism is closer to the handle (less torquing on the door?), so maybe I should pick that one.

If anyone can help me sort through these, I would really appreciate it!

Comments (10)

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I didn't do any research on the brands as my cab maker bought what he has a good track record using for customers. Mine is the first you pictured. Has worked great for 2.5 years.

For some reason, the top mounted ones looking so.....ummmm....hang-y to me. Silly to say. It's like they aren't supported. I'm sure they are though. Maybe I'm just used to how securely my cans fit into the metal frame. No tipping or jostling cans, which it seems to me the top mounted ones might experience. Don't know without experience. Anyway, I like mine.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Just an FYI, since I just spent waaay too much time comparing prices for Rev a shelf, Build.com has a nice sale going right now. And if you are ready to pull the trigger sometime today (or maybetomorrow,) the code REDHOT gets you another 5% off.

Nothing else to offer. We'll be getting whatever our cabinet maker offers.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I also have the top system and it works well. I chose it because it will give me some flexibility as to which cans will fit down the road. Maybe. Years ago I had the top-hang system and was forever cleaning nastiness around the wooden frame.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I started research, then my cabinets offered a free cabinet with trash pullout as one of the promotions the weekend we purchased. One thing I remember was that some were for framed and some frameless, so be sure to check that part.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have the top mount. The cans slide into the opening, so it's actually very secure. There's really nothing to clean. It'd be hard to overfill the cans so I wouldn't pay extra for heavy duty slides.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have the top-mount now and agree with may_flowers, the cans are very secure. I haven't noticed any "gunk" at all -- we do use plastic can liners, and try to avoid putting food scraps in the cans altogether (but not because its wood or top-mount, just because...). In our previous home we had the first one pictured and it too was excellent. I really don't think you can go wrong on this issue.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

We have one similar to the first picture and it's worked great for us for over 6 years. I think either one will work fine - so choose the lower-priced one! (If there's a price difference, that is!)

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• calumin
    9 years ago

Not to make things even more complicated, but our cabinets used Hafele instead of Rev-a-Shelf. I find them to be durable. There's an earlier post about Rev-a-Shelf vs Hafele.

Tall pantry pullout: Hafele or Rev-a-Shelf?

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I decided on the first option. The wood framed ones were too wide for my cabinet. There is another metal bottom mount called Tandembox that I considered too. It has a polymer base, which is nice for cleaning and keeping the bottom of the cabinet clean. The two downsides for the Tandembox is that it is a new product, and the sales rep said there have been some complaints about it. Also, a lid won't work with the second trash can because it sits too far back in the shelf. That was really important to me, so I decided against it.