Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmalm53_gw

Kitchen Remodel Update - Wall Paint Finished with Pics!

lmalm53
14 years ago

Hi everyone! Sorry I have been MIA on these forums for several months. I just saw on one of my clipped posts that a couple people were asking what wall colors and window treatments I finally decided on for my Kitchen area. The original post apparently has dropped off the active list so I thought I would post an update here.

We finished the paint job in our kitchen, sunroom, powder room and laundry area in February. I sewed some simple valances for the sunroom and purchased pleated shades for the kitchen windows. We LOVE the kitchen! Everything there is finally done except refinishing the original hardwood flooring.

We have now moved to "phase 2" of our whole house remodel and just started on our dining room, great room, entry foyer, guest bath and bedroom hallway. All the 20 year old wallpaper has been stripped and walls/trim all newly painted. The next step is to pull up the old carpeting and replace with new hardwood floors. We hope to get that done before Thanksgiving if possible.

Sorry I haven't posted recent pictures but here are a few of my original old kitchen and the newly remodeled kitchen area in pretty much its final form.

THE ORIGINAL CIRCA 1989 KITCHEN AREA:

THE NEW 2009 KITCHEN AREA:

This is the kitchen after we painted the walls but before I got the window shades:

Looking toward deck door and pantry:

New Island Cooktop and PopUp Vent:

Looking toward Fireplace:

Looking toward Butler Pantry:

From Kitchen entrance:

From Sunroom towards Butler Pantry:

Butler Pantry Paint:

The new kitchen window shades:

Kitchen Shades Half Open:

Light Filtering Pleated Shades:

New Powder Room Paint:

New Sunroom Paint:

Sunroom Valances:

Fabric for Valances:

Hallway to Laundry:

Laundry Folding Table:

Laundry Sink:

Comments (14)

• gracesantacruz
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very, very nice. Actually, I thought for a second your before images were the "after" images - many of us have to update much older kitchens. Also, your photos are so well done.

Love the paint and cooktop. The granite goes so perfect with the cabinets.

Hope your dog is happy with the results!

-DH of gracesantacruz

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Fabulous transformation, well done! I really like the red paint inspiration above the arched windows! It would have been so easy to continue the soffit color but I think that red paint touch is awesome.

Great job!

Tina

• luvnlife_09
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Would you mind sharing the paint color names? I'm struggling with my painting, and am especially interested in the sunroom color, but others too!
    Thanks!

• rbsohio
    14 years ago

Beautiful!! Can you post information about the shades, please? Is your granite Typhoon Bordeaux? Thanks.

• laurielep
    14 years ago

Holy Wallpaper!!!!
    What a difference paint makes!! I love the 2 colors in the kitchen. It really brought life to those cabinets!!!
    Your granite is gorgeous!!

• idrive65
    14 years ago

I was scrolling down your "befores" think, well that's really not so bad, until I got to the wallpapered sun room ceiling! Yowch! Amazing transformation. Your granite is beautiful.

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

Great work! I'd love to know the color of the soffits. I'm on a never ending search for a yellow that doesn't go green in east/north light. Your's looks nice and warm.

• neesie
    14 years ago

I remember your kitchen when you posted a few months ago! I did not recall that you had a beautiful fireplace in the kitchen, tho! Your windows are beautiful; I love the special oval window in your laundry room....and what a nice laundry sink (you wouldn't want to see mine!) You made nice choices with your shades and the colors and you are a good photograher too. I see you lost the light box in your "before" kitchen, I have that on my list also! Good luck on all the renos, you are scratching things off your list faster than I am, LOL!

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Bravo! Beautiful colors!

When I first started looking at you pictures, I thought Oh I hope they don't paint or pull out those gorgeous cabinets! You did a great job working keeping all of the beautiful features you had and just getting rid of the dated stuff.

Could you give some details on getting rid of the florecscent light box? I've got a friend with one and we're going to do some updating in her kitchen. Was it hard to switch over to the pendants?

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

Yes yes yes!!!
    Very warm kitchen, nice colors. Beautiful!

• lmalm53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for all the nice comments! My primary goals in doing the kitchen remodel were to update the look, improve functionality and to warm up the color scheme using vibrant earth tones for a slightly Tuscan feel. I have been very happy with the transformation. Its amazing how some paint and granite can make such a difference.

I had to look up my old notes to find the names of several of our materials used but here is the short list as requested:

My Granite is called EL DORADO and is from Brazil.

My Backsplash tile is a Mexican Travertine 3x6 Subway called DESERT CREAM IMPERIAL from Florida Tile

Kitchen Sink is a Blanco 1-3/4 Anthracite Silgranite

Kitchen Faucet is the Lady Grohe

Cooktop is the Thermador 30 inch Induction with the Popup Vent system

Double Ovens are the 27 inch Kitchenaid Architect Series II

Microwave is the GE Profile model PVM2070DM1BB

Beverage Center is the MARVEL 15 inch BARM-BB-G with the all black framed glass door

Original 20 year old dark cherry cabinetry custom made by Dutch Mills in Goshen Indiana. Under cabinet lighting is Seagull Ambiance Xenon Low Voltage Linear Lighting on dimmers.

Kitchen window shades are Graber brand light filtering pleated shades, Lucia model and the color is Elderberry 4050

We used all BEHR paints but some of the colors were custom mixed. The yellow kitchen walls and soffits were a Restoration Hardware color called SAFFRON which we had color matched in the BEHR paint

The burgundy accent color used on the kitchen windows and on the powder room walls was BEHRs CURRANT JAM

The Sunroom walls were BEHRs WHISPERING PINE

The Sunroom Ceiling was a Restoration Hardware color BAY LAUREL that we color matched in BEHR

Hallway to laundry was BEHRs CUP OF COCOA

Laundry room walls were BEHRs AUTUMN GOLD

Regarding the questions about removing the light box over the island. My neighbor did most the remodel work for me. He is a licensed electrician and just removed the wood box frame and fluorescent fixtures. We luckily had an intact drywall ceiling under the light box so it just involved installing new pendant and recessed can lights in the ceiling by repositioning the original wiring from the light box and installing the new fixtures. There was minimal drywall patching required. We upgraded to dimmer switches also.

• lmalm53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry that last pic was not the laundry room color. This is the AUTUMN GOURD color from BEHR

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

So beautiful! Warm and inviting---this is a home, not just a pretty house. It looks like a place of comfort and love.

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

Thanks for the all the info! I'm so impressed that you kept your cabinets. I really goes to show that a good cabinet can be timeless!