Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brett45209

Granite, To Seam Or Not To Seam

brett45209
9 years ago

Hello all!

I have a rather simple question, but can't figure the answer out on my own. So I've come to the seamingly (get it?) utmost online authority on remodeling and I'm hoping y'all can help me out.

I've finally made the decision to go with Marron Cohiba (AKA Antique Brown) granite countertops, but it's a remnant and my countertop template is such that there is what I believe they call in the biz a "mica burst" white spotted area that would hit about 2-3 inches away from my cabinetry towards the front edge of one of the sections. This configuration would result in no dreaded seam issues as all pieces would be whole, but the spotted area would likely end up bugging the daylights out of me as the rest of the slab is consistently brown without much white.

The option I'm seriously for realsies considering would be a configuration that would result in the mica bursting offender becoming part of my sink cutout, thus removing said problem area, but resulting in two 3" seams, one on both the front and back rail of my undermount sink. And from what I've read of the nightmares that can ensue from shoddy seams, I'm just wondering if it's even worth it to seam, or should I just place a cutting board or something over the spot and be done with it.

Spotless with seam, or seamless with spot? Thoughts? Pic attached.

Thanks,
Brett

Comments (11)

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Of the two choices, I would go with no seams.

Sometimes those unique quirks in our countertops become one of the nicest things. Kind of like that freckle your SO has right under their ear that only you really notice.

Two seams on a sink, I'm no stone expert but that seems like something most would want to avoid.

• kam76
    9 years ago

I would say avoid the seams too. My DH was a total JERK in high school and now 20 years later we are still happily married, so yes, jerks can grow on you. :) Beautiful stone btw.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Learn to love your burst. No seams.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

No seams...make that mica burst into a feature...show it off...it's beautiful!!!

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I agree. Go seamless.

• User
    9 years ago

That bit of natural beauty is why people pay big bucks for granite with a lot of variation over man made quartz. Learn to love it for those unique inclusions!

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

A seam will bother you more than that white spot. And I agree with live wire oak, those variations are why people choose granite over quartz.

• FamCook
    9 years ago

First of all I literally laughed out loud when I saw your label! That jerk! Haha

But, a bad seam would bother me WAY more than a mica burst. Did I get that right? I keep wanting to call it a micro burst, but that's a kind of storm. Anyways, I'd name it something weird and tell people it's my constant friend that I confess and complain to. You'll learn to love it, and it won't share your secrets! Bwwaaaahahahaha

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would avoid seams. Isn't Antique Brown one of those chippy granites? Meaning your seams will look a little rougher and more noticeable.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I thought of a way to get rid of the jerk, if you really hate him so much. Could you use a farmhouse or apron-front sink? One back seam wouldn't be as noticeable as a front sink seam.

• brett45209
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, you folks are so awesome! You've really helped me to see the light and accept the perfection of imperfection. So, I called my granite guy yesterday after the unanimous results here and told him to keep the little jerk and that I'd learn to love it like only a father could.

And to answer your question may_flowers, I seriously considered an apron sink at one point, but given the hackeration that would have to happen to my existing cabinetry and the added cost of the sink itself, I decided to go with a 60/40 Kraus SS from Amazon (again, thanks to GardenWeb recommendations). I got a wicked awesome 4th of July sale price on it too, as I was going to purchase on a Sunday night at $360, but woke up the next morning and got it for around $270!

So anyways, my Samsung SS appliances arrived yesterday and the granite will be installed early next week. I'll post pics when the granite gets here so you all can see how everything turned out!

Thanks again!