Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

Reveal: Long & Narrower White, Grey & Green EIK

Gooster
10 years ago

Well, we are now 99.99% done and here's the pic-heavy reveal (edited). Thank you to everyone who answered my questions and provided useful insight via other posts and discussions. My main regret is that I didn't join the discussion earlier.

The kitchen is a 12' 3" wide by 26' 8" long space formed by combining an existing formal dining room with an existing kitchen. The existing dining room is being relocated to a combined formal living/dining space. The family room, foyer and hall bath were also touched during the remodel. The home is a 1930s modified Colonial Revival with Art Deco touches throughout, in an in-city neighborhood on narrow(er) lots in Northern California. That mix informed our targeted style inspiration, which was Traditional with a touch of Hollywood Regency (replacing the black and white with grey and white). The hard-to-change items were kept relatively neutral, allowing easy updates in the color palette in the future.

This kitchen replaced an existing white (thermafoil) kitchen, which replaced a white kitchen. The kitchen may have been mint green or yellow in its lifetime as well, but has been mostly white over the 75+ years. The layout was restricted by our desire to keep the corner windows and side windows, to both preserve the exterior architecture and stay faithful to the original designs in the neighborhood.

This remodel was all done via services of a GC and KD, with us taking almost a solitary lead in design choices (blame us). Originally, another wall was due to come down to better connect to the Family Room (which is 95% done). The budget was considered moderate (but high to us).

Here are the details:

Cabinetry: Crystal Cabinet Works, Belmont door, beaded inset in Keyline and full custom. Colors are Cotton White on PGM and Cinnamon on Cherry. Features include pullouts, wood drawers, soft close, plywood sides, and integrated end panels. Made in Minnesota.
Cabinet Hardware: Schaub, Empire
Counters: Caesarstone Piatra Grey, 2cm, mitered edge
Farmhouse Sink: Porcher
Island Sink: Kohler Iron Tones
Faucets: Danze Opulence
Backslash: Carrara 3x6"
Window Shelf, Table Top: Bianco Carrara
Pendants: Maxim Metro
UCL: InspiredLED, customized Designer Series bars and tape lining glass cabinets
Recessed: Halo 4", subsidized by utility company
Range: CornuFe Albertine in stainless
Hood: Modern-Aire PS24, powder coated body in custom color (RAL 9037), pulled from counter
DW: Bosch 500, paneled
WD: Viking Pro
Fridge: Viking Pro, CD FD with trim kit
MW: GE Spacemaker
Disposals: Insinkerator Evolution
Windows (added last year): Pella Architect, double hung and casements with roll-up screens
Table Base: Custom
Table Top, Corner Ledge: Bianco Carrara marble
Banquette: Coventry, Ballard Designs
Counter Stools: Marcello, Ballard Designs
Wall Color: Benjamin Moore, "Spa"
Ceiling Color: Benjamin Moore, "Chantilly Lace"
Floor: White oak, quarter sawn random plank width and lengths with beveled edges. Custom matched and stained to blend with the original flooring

Here are a few "before" shots:

Original cooking area, with no nearby counterspace to serve as a landing zone:

Original dining room was rarely used; the wall came down, shown here mid-demo.

Here is the final --

Here's the working end. The corner sink is not ideal, but works with the original architecture of the home and the neighborhood. The large single bowl is actually more useful than the former split bowl. The second island sink is key to making this work:

Corner banquette at the other end. We went with moveable furniture pieces to give the flexibility to move to a table in the future. The seats lift up and provide additional storage:

Towel bar in narrow pullout is handy. Double trash pullout is next door. One side of the range is tray storage and the other a spice pullout:

Backsplash and countertop closeup -- went with low profile outlets under the cabinets or low and horizontal against the counter, which are then covered by appliances. The counter has a miter edge to save overhang space:

Banquette. The seats lift up for extra storage. These were chosen rather than built-ins to keep the layout flexible. The table base had to be specially designed to hold the heavy Carrara Marble top. The X detail was chosen to allow feet to pass by and echo the X used in the cabinetry.

Full view showing the island. The counterstools swivel (but look like they don't), which is why they were chosen. The TV is a on a tilt-out articulating swivel mount. "Joey" STB is hidden behind the panel, out of view. This was the result of a last minute conspiracy with the electrician and the tv-watcher in the home.

Microwave storage in a pop up cabinet -- larger than needed, and sized to handle multiple different brands because these things will be the first thing to fail:

Here are the requisite piggy shots -- sitting on a "pig pen" of Carrara:

Outlets are tucked under the island overhang, complete with integrated USB sockets for charging i-everythings.

And Jake the Corgi holds reign -- and the valance feet shown are one of our favorite finishing details:

And a bonus pics (Sorry for the lengthy posts) -- Preview of the nearby FR fireplace for you Arabesque fans... I was going to use this in the kitchen but it was going to be too busy:

The adjacent family room is now 98% complete and some pics are here: FR Reveal

(edited to add pic links)

Here is a link that might be useful: More Pics at Photobucket

This post was edited by gooster on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 2:57

Comments (98)

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks again! Answers below...

GWLolo: Not going over the top was the goal -- what to do with a traditional 1930s home with Art Deco details -- thanks to GW the style inspiration came together. The WD is in the base below the MW. It is an older floor model that the dealer had, as a bargain. A bit bulky, but the handles and steel finish match, but so close to the fridge it is less noticeable. Was originally going to panel this, but read all the warnings here regarding steam in inset cabinets.

vinudev: I added those after the fact, due to the struggles everyone has in the planning stages. It was a result, though, of strict budgeting and careful sourcing.

romy718: I don't think we have very interesting contents, at least yet, and some of the stuff are placeholders. We are trying to keep it practical while decorative. The most unusual item is a full set of vintage forest green Anchor Glass, unused, that my mom sourced at a church rummage sale. We are also in the hunt for a tea pot, soup tureen and vintage Art Deco coffee set. Here you go... Right Cabinet and Left Cabinet

needinfo1: After searching locally, we found a craftsman on Etsy, FunkyLivingCA, that was able to customize an existing design to support the marble. A small story -- the small ledge at the corner sink pushed us into three slabs. Rather than buy a full slab of quartz, we bought a slab of Carrara and used the remainder for the table.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I just bought this soup tureen at Williams-Sonoma. $89 marked down to $18. I bought 2, if you'd like one.

This post was edited by romy718 on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 11:14

• romy718
    10 years ago

Duplicate post.

This post was edited by romy718 on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 11:15

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

romy718: that's a great find! Congratulations on scoring the deal. Thanks for the offer, I actually had another one in mind, but that one is beautiful.

• blondy6082
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and nice layout, would love to sit at the counter and drink coffee!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I'm just seeing this reveal. Lovely Lovely kitchen. Thank you for sharing so many details.
    I'm curious, after working in there for several months now, do you like the drum pendants? Do they supply enough light over the island? I've spec'd out something very similar. Love the look, hoping for the function.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks mlweaving (and blondy)! Now recently 100% finished (with this room), as I've just installed the replacement DW panel.

I like the drum pendants. There is a diffuser at the bottom opening, which eliminates any glare (in your eyes and on the counter) but also cuts down the strength a bit (60W each). Thus, it is less like a spotlight (like the pots) and more general lighting. They do provide sufficient light on their own, but it is not as complete as when the surrounding pots are added at roughly 50%.

• chickpea8
    10 years ago

Hi Gooster, inspired by your super lovely pictures we put the Piatra Grey counter tops in our new kitchen too. We have not committed to a backsplash yet. It is either white ceramic or marble subway tiles for us. I am wondering how your marble subway tiles are working out for you near your cooktop?
    Have you had any issues with staining from grease or tomato sauce or anything else?
    How often will you have to seal the tile?
    Also, what color grout did you use?
    Was the grout sanded or unsanded? Thanks so much!

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

erinf8: Are you happy with your install? I don't think I've seen pics.

The marble tiles are working out OK. However, we are keeping messy foods on the front burner (e.g., simmering pasta sauce) and wiping up all splatter immediately. There was a disaster early on when a red wine bottle was dropped and wine splashed everywhere on the BS! Because there was glass everywhere and a dog underfoot, it took more than a few seconds to wipe up. There was no staining at all. When it was new, it was sealed about six times over the first two weeks. Since then, nothing. We should probably put a refresher on before T-day.

The grout was Custom's Platinum, I recall. I can't recall the type; I will have to check to see if there is some around.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I had to look at your kitchen again. Gooster, you did an amazing job and I am so in love with your kitchen. Your kitchen and other inset cabinets on this wonderful forum have been an inspiration to my kitchen plans. I will be sure to share when I am done or need some help. Thank you so much! I only wish I could fit an island in my kitchen but at least I can fit a kitchen table in my kitchen by the sliding door. I may need help with ideas for the sliding door as I am going to remove the soft vertical blinds I have there now that when I bought them I loved them but they will not work with the taller cabinets there. I may wait to finish the kitchen and then post it to ask what I should do. You have such great taste!

• dgormish
    10 years ago

Beautiful remodel! Lots of great details and it all works together nicely. Nice area for entertaining!

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Amy2313: These are 3x6.

lynn2006: thanks again and good luck in your decision making!

thanks, dgmorish, looking forward to T-day for the big tryout.

• taggie
    10 years ago

Wow oh wow! So glad this came back up as I missed this the first go-round. Holy moly it is absolutely stunning!

Love so much about it, the beautiful cabs and especially the glass doors with such interesting mullions, the window seat (great use of space to add continuity to the kitchen without changing the windows and sacrificing natural light), the island and those gorgeous stools, the backsplash, and that range. Oh that range!

Am going back up to the top to admire it some more now. Wonderful job, what a difference in both form and amazing function. Congratulations!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Gooster, I just noticed that your double pull-out trash cans have no lids. I want a double pull-out trash can with lids since I am afraid of odors and want to contain them. Do you find any problems with not having lids? I love your kitchen so much as you know. :)

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

Where was I this summer? I missed this gorgeous reveal.

I love all the geometric shapes, and how the Xs on the chairs match the cabinets!

Can you tell me where your purchased the chairs?

Congratulations Gooster! Enjoy the holidays in your beautiful kitchen!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

So pretty, love the green touches. And the USB ports are brilliant!

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

taggie: thanks so much!

lynn2006: I think "lid-less" is pretty common for garbage pull-outs. Even with inset cabinets, there is little to no odor leakage when the door is shut all the way. I think Rev-a-Shelf makes lids for this size, however.

crazybusytoo: Thanks! I tried to repeat the X motif -- it is in the FR as well and in the custom kitchen table base. Believe it or not the chairs come from Target! I stumbled across them one day while surfing for something else. In the matching fabric to the rug(s) I bought previously, no less -- they are not even in the same line. I had seen a similar (more delicate and high quality) chair from Barbara Barry for Baker, but that was more than I wanted to spend on something that would be subject to kitchen wear.

mtnredux: Thanks!. We leave the roll-up type usb cables plugged in and tucked up under the edge. .

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Gooster for letting me know why lid-less is usually common for garbage pull-outs and that Rev-A-Shelf makes a lid if that is what I would want.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Wowza!!! That is a gorgeous kitchen. I missed it before. Glad you posted the link from the thread asking for links to kitchens. Your range is stunning! Everything is.

Nice job!

• BettyBoop999
    10 years ago

Great kitchen! Like the Caesarstone Piatra Grey with the Carrera BS. Also love the well thought out outlet placement.

• lam702
    10 years ago

Wow! Another beautiful kitchen! Just gorgeous. I love the dog too!

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks aktillery, bettyboop999!

hpny2: thanks too -- the princely pooch is the #1 floor sweeper in the new kitchen

I'm still here, working on rooms and moving on to my next kitchen update.

• belabama
    10 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! Do you mind sharing dimensions of banquette? Length and depth of the benches?

Thank you !

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Very pretty.

What is the appliance next to the refrigerator?

I thought that was a microwave, but that's apparently in an upper cabinet.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

belabama, lazygardens, thanks!

The banquette is about 74x63x26 in total. It is the Coventry modular system from Ballard Designs, with storage in each seat. I chose this system to give the flexibility to switch to a standalone table in the future. The seat itself is 20 inches deep.

the appliance next to the fridge is a warming drawer (an older Viking model).

• Mags438
    10 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! I love everything about it! Goes into my inspiration file; the details are phenomenal

• perky_2
    10 years ago

I love your kitchen and have been carrying copies of your pictures around with me since November 5th.

My Kitchen is 12 x 28, measurements are close to your space.

I had a cabinet guy out a few weeks ago and when he asked what I wanted in the kitchen, I shared with him our selection of appliance and told him that is all I want to say and asked him to look it over and give me thoughts on what he would do. He measured, stood around looking for an additional 5 minutes and then started to describe what he would do with the space. I said - hold on, went and got your pictures to share a visual of what he was verbally describing - we got a good laugh.

I would like to ask - have you found the flow to work well for you around the island and do your guest tend to gather around it?

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

Every detail is gorgeous! Your dog even matches your kitchen! Great job. I love everything about it.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much g8day, Mags438 and perky! I really appreciate that.

perky_2: wow, what a great story! I'm so honored that you kept some pictures in your file and that they came in handy for your space. The layout is working very well for us, nine months in. The dog even knows to take the outside aisle when someone is working in the main work triangle. People will cluster at the bar and the banquette works well (although the legs probably could have a bit more clearance). Good luck with your space, and be sure to post your layout.

• amck2
    10 years ago

This was the first time I saw your kitchen reveal. I echo all the compliments that have been written!

Unless I missed it, I didn't see a source for your counter stools. I may be replacing mine when we remodel and they need to have backs AND swivel, which is very hard to find in a more traditional design. Would you mind sharing where you found them?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Gooster, what size is your Iron Tones prep sink?

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

amck: Thanks! The stools are from Ballard Designs, the Marlowe in Green Apple velvet. They have stock fabrics and do C.O.M. They are working out quite well.

romy: The Iron Tones has an inner dimension of 16x21 (width). I'm so glad a colleague told me to make the prep sink big enough (size and depth) to be useful, and to install the second disposal. It is big enough to hold a turkey or watermelon, or a big colander full of veggies.

• perky_2
    10 years ago

I do have a question, I thought I had found your design layout at one time but can't seem to locate it now. Do you have a link to that post?

• amck2
    10 years ago

Thanks for getting back to me about the counter stools. I'll check them out.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perky: Here is the cabinet-only layout -- note the actual final sizes are mostly overwritten on the sizes. (lots of adjustments to standard sizes)

amck: You are welcome.

• perky_2
    10 years ago

Awesome! Many thanks to you for sharing.

Gooster thanked perky_2
  • magsnj
    10 years ago

Bump!!!!!!!

I was beginning my remodel at this time last year and i must have missed this.......it's so beautiful it deserves a second go round at the top of the forum for all the people who missed it. There aren't NEARLY enough comments on this kitchen. people must'vebeen outside enjoying the summer and not in the kitchen forums. Total eye candy.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

I missed it in Jan and march too?! How is that even possible?? Maybe i was jealous and blocking it out??

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

magsnj: that's too sweet of you! (BTW, I love the color of you chose for your kitchen) You'll find that these threads will pop up from time to time, luring you back to Gardenweb.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I love the color choices.

Gooster thanked crl_
  • magsnj
    10 years ago

I missed it in Jan and march too?! How is that even possible?? Maybe i was jealous and blocking it out??

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Bump!!!!!!!

I was beginning my remodel at this time last year and i must have missed this.......it's so beautiful it deserves a second go round at the top of the forum for all the people who missed it. There aren't NEARLY enough comments on this kitchen. people must'vebeen outside enjoying the summer and not in the kitchen forums. Total eye candy.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Thanks gooster!! Sorry for the duplicate postings....i have no idea how it happens but I'm thinking my phone it's the culperate.

Gooster thanked magsnj
  • beth
    10 years ago

Oh my, Oh my! Simply stunning. What a great job you have done.

Your thorough post with pictures and info has answered some of my design questions. I love the countertop/backsplash combination.

Congratulations, and best wishes for many years of enjoyment.

Love your Corgi, too.

Gooster thanked beth
  • oldbat2be
    7 years ago

Ah gooster, I smile every time I tour your kitchen. Your stove is lovely! And that mirror, I believe I recognize it...:)

Gooster thanked oldbat2be
  • Gooster
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@oldbat2be --thank you so much! I love your home as well -- I hope all is going well. I remember loving your built-ins. I'm back in the forums, planning the next project (second home).

(and thanks to the others I forgot to thank in this old reveal thread).

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

WOW! That after pics are amazing!! I truly love it all!

The pops of green work perfect. I adore the corner sink. The appliances are gorgeous and the bench is such a neat touch. Oh, and the dog :) gotta love the dog too!

Gooster thanked User
  • Melanie Simpson
    3 years ago

I know this is an older post, but I'm using the piatra grey for my countertops and wondered where you bought the backsplash tiles from and the exact name of them...simply gorgeous...Are you still happy with the look?

• Aylin R
    5 months ago

That looks gorgeous! I love the countertops and also that beautiful backsplash tile.