Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Kitchen finished! White cabs, quartzite, leathered black. Whew!

babs711
11 years ago

We moved into our new build about three weeks ago. While I say the kitchen (and house) are complete, some things are missing that need to be done like counter stools that aren't here yet, a window seat cushion, upholstered chairs at the table that will be ordered, BLADES for the living room ceiling fan that aren't in yet. I've hardly hung a thing on the walls and am working on window treatments now. You get the picture! But we're in! And the months of planning and stewing are over! So here are some pics of the kitchen/dining/living room. I'm sure I'll have updates as I go.

DETAILS:

Cabinets: Eudora Frameless

Island countertop: White Macaubus Quartzite

Perimeter countertop: Leathered Absolute Black Granite

Sink: Kohler Riverby Cast Iron

Faucet: Moen Woodmere in Stainless

Hardware on solid doors/drawers: Amerock Highland Ridge in polished nickel

Glass knobs and Bin Pulls in polished nickel: Van Dyke's

Range & Dishwasher: Thermador

Refrigerator: Kitchenaid Pro

Refrigerator Drawers: Electrolux

Sharp Microwave Drawer

{{gwi:1860175}}

{{gwi:1911818}}

{{gwi:1911822}}

Close up of the tile. It's hard to get an accurate color since it's so glossy. It's more blue/green than portrayed in pics:

I was standing on a chair when I took this. I feel like it makes the dining table look like toy furniture! Ha!

Behold...the unfinished bar and the fan with no blades. We live in the deep south...no judging the fan! Behind those closed doors lies my DH's very unfinished man cave.

And you'd know that the day after I took these, my new sofa cushion inserts came in. It's all fluffy and new looking again. Oh well!

The Pantry is actually the same color as the entry you see right past the range wall in the kitchen (BM Gray Wisp). But I didn't use a flash so it looks funky here:

Comments (89)

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

enright5, they're simple Pottery Barn stools! I had planned on getting different slip covers for them but the pattern I wanted was discontinued. So I got these pinstriped ones instead. I like them fine. I may have some sewn to change them out eventually. They're sturdy and arrived in good condition and don't scream "Pottery Barn"...I don't think! Ha!

bahacca, at this very moment I'm sitting on that same couch with the new inserts and it feel so different and FULL! My son saw it yesterday for the first time and said, "OH! The couch has been cleaned!" No...I put new inserts in the cushions. It almost looks new! But it still looks comfy! Thanks! I spent a lot of time drawing out that pantry and working on the spacing. I referenced several GW posts as well. I still have a few more organizational things to do over time but it's good for now. I'm just so happy to have a nice, spacious pantry!

Breezy, I just realized I never answered your pantry question above. Those are to the left of the door. In the first full shot of the pantry (the one below the shot with the painting in it), you can see the right wall with the door. Those shelves are shallow for jars and cans and shallower boxes. They end before the door. Behind the door, I have my brooms and things hanging on an organizer thing and keep a stool folded back there.

marti8a, one of my goals was to have a lot of functional space and storage. I've never really had that before and have always had to find creative ways to achieve it. For the first time, I'm finding myself with extra storage and with beds with nothing underneath them! It's amazing!

remodelfla, our local stone place had a black board with different tiles on it. No brand name. I liked them and got some samples. I didn't even know who made them until the box was sitting on my counter during the install. I went to their website and it looks like mine might be called The Traditional. You may want to contact the Americas contact on the contacts link to see who would carry them in your area. Another tile place I went to in town (Adda Flooring) was not carrying it when I was shopping for backsplashes. But when I went last week to return some samples to them, they had their sample board on display and said they just got it two days prior and were carrying the line now.

Wow mic111, your comment blew me away. Thank you so much. I truly do wish I did that for a living. I would love it. You are so sweet.

NewSouthernBelle, You made me laugh! You know I took these on a super clean day, right?! My kids are 7 and 11. My 7 year old girl is pretty neat though. She's pretty good about taking her things back upstairs when she's finished playing with them down here. And my son is past the age of tons of toys. His stuff is all upstairs. It's not this clean all the time. I wish! Re: The C&C lights...they pushed us over our lighting budget a bit also, especially since I needed three pendants. And I have some Hudson Valley lights in the master bath. But we went under budget in several areas of the house so it all balanced out in the end. We came in a few thousand under when all was said and done.

pbx2, our ceilings are 10'. We didn't bring them to the ceiling because I felt like we had a lot of cabinetry and builtins in the room and along that one wall that the fireplace/window seat/sink are on. I felt like there needed to be some kind of balance and that having just the kitchen go to the ceiling would throw the balance off. I started with the window seat and knew those should go up to the ceiling. I felt like if the kitchen cabs also went all the way up then the fireplace builtins would have to go to the ceiling for balance. At that point I felt like the room would be so heavy with woodwork. So I then thought that keeping them lower would not only help with budget but would make the window seat more of a focal point, along with the hood and then the bookcases would be set apart as well. So there were a lot of reasons why we didn't go to the ceiling. And as I said in your post, I have to get on a stool (at 5'5" and even when I'm in heels) to access the top shelf of the current cabinets). I think whatever I put in those upper cabinets would NEVER get used.

go_figure01, That's my fault I think. I misunderstood that you wanted the length of the entire room! I gave you the dimension of the kitchen with (12x18) and without(12x14) accounting for the walkway from the entrance of the house to the back doors. I also gave you the length of the fireplace wall (17'). The entire length of the whole room is 39'. Kitchen is 12, dining 10, living 17. Width of space is 18 total. Does that make sense? Let me know if you have more questions! And thanks!

kaysd, The rug is Safavieh Soho Ankara in light gray/ivory. I got a great deal on it from Joss and Main. It's more blue/gray than gray though, which I'm totally fine with.

And thank you ALL again so much for your kind sweet words! I know I didn't address everyone individually, only the questions. But I read every single comment. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. This has been a long and crazy couple of years. I love the questions and will post updates as I gather other items.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

It's all just beautiful, inside and out. I love your red chairs (along with everything else). Gorgeous. I had to go back and look for the dog, I missed him the first time I looked and then saw him/her on the back of the sofa, lol. So cute.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!!
    I love the overall balance of the kitchen. It just looks beautiful and so functional!

One question - have you considered putting a cushion on your bench? We are putting one on ours - and DH and I each have one of the cabinets - it was my way of keeping DH happy that he was part of the kitchen.

Now, we want to hear about some scrumptious treats that pop out of the kitchen - heading back to ours to make my yogurt muffins!

• Linda
    11 years ago

Beautiful!

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Babs - last question - any worry about dust build-up on top of those cabs?

I am in total agreement that cabs might not need to go all the way tp the ceiling but what do I do about the dust?? Sleepless about this LOL!

One again - Thanks for giving us your time babs.
    Enjoy your new home. Really is brilliant!

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Girl - everything is just beautiful! And in the deep south, we must have our ceiling fans!! I hope you haven't answered this already, but what gray did you use in the kitchen? Thanks!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

YOUR KITCHEN IS GORGEOUS AS IS THE REST OF YOUR HOUSE!! You have wonderful taste and great talent. I hope you enjoy every second of your hard work and passion!

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini, I posted in the initial thread that the window seat cushion is one of the many things that's incomplete. You must have missed that. ;) I'm waiting on two quotes right now and waiting on fabric samples for it and the window treatments. I've sat in the seat several times wishing for the seat to have the cushion already! Ha!

Lake_Girl, The paint used throughout the entire space (except the bookcase and back of the bar) is Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. It's a nice gray/beige...not too gray and not too beige.

pbx2, I asked my mom about it because her cabinets have never gone to the ceiling. The way she and I look at it is that hundreds of thousands of people (millions even) have this situation and have for hundreds of years. And they live and survive. That's not dust that gets stirred up but it does get gunky if not cleaned every so often. So you could clean it with a rag and a water/vinegar mixture at the same time every month when you clean the tops of your fan blades and light fixtures and change your a/c filter. I'm assuming if you're worried about dust on top of cabinets, you're dusting those things regularly? Or you could do what some people do and line the top with waxed paper or newspaper so the dust settles there instead of the cabinets and change it out every couple of months.

Gr8day, I thought so many times about slip covering those red chairs in a more neutral color. Then I decided to move in first to see if they worked. Now I'm glad I left them. Thank you!

I forgot about the dog! He's a funny one! Sometimes he lays on the top of the back of the red chairs too. And he's been enjoying the window seat. I imagine he'll like it more with a cushion too!

Our counter stools came yesterday! iPhone pics so not the best but wanted to show you! They're SUPER comfortable and sturdy. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the seat. But they're comfy. Plus, I checked out how the rushed piece is attached and note that if I get creative later, I can cut a piece of wood and foam, upholster and attach them to replace the rushed seats if I want a new look.

Part of the reason I want some slipcovered type chairs at the dining table is because of all the hard chair materials going on at the eating areas now. I think I'll put them at the ends of the table at least...eventually.

And totally unrelated, I woke up to find this drawing on the island from my seven year old daughter. What she wrote brought tears to my eyes. I thought it was the sweetest thing and wanted to share it with you guys:

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini, I posted in the initial thread that the window seat cushion is one of the many things that's incomplete. You must have missed that. ;) I'm waiting on two quotes right now and waiting on fabric samples for it and the window treatments. I've sat in the seat several times wishing for the seat to have the cushion already! Ha!

Lake_Girl, The paint used throughout the entire space (except the bookcase and back of the bar) is Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. It's a nice gray/beige...not too gray and not too beige.

pbx2, I asked my mom about it because her cabinets have never gone to the ceiling. The way she and I look at it is that hundreds of thousands of people (millions even) have this situation and have for hundreds of years. And they live and survive. That's not dust that gets stirred up but it does get gunky if not cleaned every so often. So you could clean it with a rag and a water/vinegar mixture at the same time every month when you clean the tops of your fan blades and light fixtures and change your a/c filter. I'm assuming if you're worried about dust on top of cabinets, you're dusting those things regularly? Or you could do what some people do and line the top with waxed paper or newspaper so the dust settles there instead of the cabinets and change it out every couple of months.

Gr8day, I thought so many times about slip covering those red chairs in a more neutral color. Then I decided to move in first to see if they worked. Now I'm glad I left them. Thank you!

I forgot about the dog! He's a funny one! Sometimes he lays on the top of the back of the red chairs too. And he's been enjoying the window seat. I imagine he'll like it more with a cushion too!

Our counter stools came yesterday! iPhone pics so not the best but wanted to show you! They're SUPER comfortable and sturdy. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the seat. But they're comfy. Plus, I checked out how the rushed piece is attached and note that if I get creative later, I can cut a piece of wood and foam, upholster and attach them to replace the rushed seats if I want a new look.

Part of the reason I want some slipcovered type chairs at the dining table is because of all the hard chair materials going on at the eating areas now. I think I'll put them at the ends of the table at least...eventually.

And totally unrelated, I woke up to find this drawing on the island from my seven year old daughter. What she wrote brought tears to my eyes. I thought it was the sweetest thing and wanted to share it with you guys:

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh!! Why did that post twice??? Sorry!

• shelayne
    11 years ago

Oh my, this is so beautiful! All of it! I am totally drooling over your 'splash!

I think that the drawing by your little girl has to be my favorite thing, though. You truly are blessed! :)

Congratulations--your home is amazing!

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

I love your DD's pic! How precious!

I keep checking in the Building a Home forum to see if you've posted any more pics of the rest of your house. It was so fun to watch it come along. I love all the details you picked out. :)

• nikinikinine
    11 years ago

Beautiful job, I know it was a labor of love. My favorite part (honest to goodness) is that sweet picture from your little girl. Adorable.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Stunning! Wow, that hood, the lights and the tile make me swoon the most. Enjoy your beautiful, well-thought-out home!

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Babs your home is beautiful!!
    Please enjoy it and enjoy your family-
    what a very sweet little girl you must have.
    I know that drawing is framed already right?
    Thank you for sharing all the details,
    I'm taking notes...;)

• AngelCowgirl
    11 years ago

love, love, love! I gasped out loud when the page loaded.

• dckitrem
    11 years ago

Amazing!!
    How are the Eudora cabs??
    Your space is beautiful!!!!

• Mick Mick
    11 years ago

I love your home. The kitchen is fabulous.

Enjoy!

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Just lovely. And your DD's picture that she drew is priceless...a keeper for sure. :)

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

Well done Babs! The kitchen looks great! Enjoy your new home and adding all its final touches.

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dckitrem, I can't lie. We've had some issues. When done correctly the quality is good. They're made well and sturdy. Most of them were fine. But a few doors had to be sent back because of finish issues or they weren't laying correctly. The range hood's paint finish was rough when it came in. They had to send us a completely new range hood. One cabinet came with the wrong door. And the replacement parts take forever to come in. I guess I expected this experience to be like my experience with Cardell and have no issues. The end result has been fine.

Ppbenn, not yet! It is hanging on the refrigerator with a housewarming magnet someone had made for us of our new address in the New Orleans address tiles. I intend to buy a frame for it and hang it in our entry gallery wall as I put that together though!

Thank you all so very much! These comments are blowing me away! I'm truly humbled.

• garethcooper9
    11 years ago

I love your countertop.

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Babs.....Stunning!!!! Absolutely beautiful. The "cherry" on top is the artwork! Sums it all up! Enjoy!

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

What a lovely home! And the kitchen--WOW! There's so much to love about it, but my favorites have to be your quartzite, BS, and pantry. And your DD's artwork--priceless!!

How do you like your Thermador range and DW? Which range model do you have? The 36" Thermador is high on my list of possible contenders. I had wanted to do a rangetop and built-in oven, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do that in my layout. Have you tried out the oven? Does it bake evenly? My other concern is how long does it take to preheat? Also, it's great to know you're happy about your fridge drawers. I'm hoping to fit them in my island because I don't think a CD fridge is going to hold enough.

Wishing you and your family many years of happiness and health in your new home!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Beautiful! What a great job you did... esp love the quartzite and the tile and the lights, but it's all lovely.

Enjoy!

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flwrs_n_co, We really do like the Thermador. The only thing I've had to get used to is the cooling fan that comes on during preheating the oven and lasts until the internal parts are cooled off after you turn everything off...sometimes it's ten minutes, sometimes it's 25. I've found out that's to protect the range and is normal. When baking everything comes out wonderfully. I've used convection and regular and never have to rotate anything. I've baked on multiple racks at a time just fine. The preheat is the normal length for a gas range. It takes a while but any 36" gas range is going to take a while. I haven't timed it. It's not 30 minutes or anything...maybe 15? I'm sure it heats up slower than a Bertazzoni, for example, because its capacity is larger (which is what we wanted). I'm getting used to cooking on it. Even though I've been running our range hood every time I cook, I set off our smoke detector twice because I underestimated the heat, thus burning pancakes and burning meatballs (not the same meal). Things heat up faster and hotter than on my previous stove. I need to get used to it! But once I get my groove going and temp evened out, I find it's super easy to cook on. I'm almost enjoying cooking now! I've never said that in my life!

Thanks again everyone! I bought a frame for DS's drawing today! It's going from the fridge to the wall tonight!

• Shareher
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! I love that we have similar kitchens finishing at the same time both with quartzite island and black perimeter counters. Your kitchen looks great!!

• maggie530
    11 years ago

Hi, first I would like to say just wow. Your kitchen is my dream! Coincidentally, I just found you on a post vouching for Cardell cabinets. I was searching them because that is what my supplier is pushing and I was looking for reviews. I noticed that you went with a different company this time. Was there a reason? Thanks :)

• Alice Johannen
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh, your daughter's picture is just the sweetest thing! I can see why it brought tears to your eyes. It's a keeper, for sure. :-)

Oh, and I am drooling over that quartzite!!!

The whole thing is just beautiful, and I'm so happy for you. Enjoy, enjoy!

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maggie530, I got a quote from them and it was slightly higher than the quote from the guy my builder uses all the time who carries a bunch of different lines. I knew I'd get a lot of service from him during and after in terms of these cabinets and the ones we had put in other places. Plus, he and my trim guy were collaborating on the window seat hutches and some builtins. I knew I wouldn't get the kind of attention to detail that we needed at the price he quoted me from the regular kitchen place. It didn't have anything to do with Cardell. I think they're great and would have used them had we only needed the kitchen. But since everything needed to flow, it worked better to go with him.

You guys keep making my days so much better! I can't believe all the nice comments! I know I keep saying thank you but I truly mean it!

• Snbtwins
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Would love to see pictures of the rest of the house! Do you mind telling me the distance between the stools and your dining chairs and the dining chairs and the red chairs in the family room? Do you feel like the 10' dining area is enough space? Thanks and great job, everything looks perfect!

• LittleTownBigCity
    11 years ago

I LOVE the kitchen! Everything looks so lovely. Congratulations!

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

snbtwins,

I keep meaning to take other photos but then random things keep coming into the house that prevent me from doing it...boxes my parents were storing for me, deliveries, etc. then last week they started the punch list stuff so the house kind of fell apart with any sort of clean factor I had going on. But I have fan blades now and a powder room mirror! I'll get pics up within the next couple of weeks! The distance between the counter stools and dining chairs is 48" when pushed in. When sitting in both at the same time it's roughly 28". It's plenty. It's also 48" between the stools and the red chairs. There's more room when sitting at the table since the red chairs don't move...36" or so. We've not once felt crowded in here. It's very spacious and open.

Thank you guys!!

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

I think I used to drive by your house (or one very similar to it) while taking my daughter to her riding lessons when we still lived in New Orleans! Love the quartzite - well, everything, really! It looks great.

I'm going to put that particular quartzite on my list to look for. I love the colorway - and I love marble; however, I'm realistic that the patina is just too much for me to deal with when the main kitchen cleaner here is 12 year old girl with a passion for homemade lemonade :-)

Beautiful space.

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks grlwprls! It's a new construction though. We started at the beginning of the year and finished about four weeks ago. Do you mean drive by our build or a different house? Hey... How were the riding lessons? I go that way to take DS to school and see the horses and have a 7 y.o. DD who's a horse nut. I've thought about looking into it but haven't talked to anyone who's done it. And thank you so much. That's exactly why we ended up not doing marble!

• selphydeg
    11 years ago

Its so beautiful. This is almost the exact same color palette I am trying to do with my kitchen.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Posted by babs711 (My Page) on Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 17:13
    Go_figure01, the kitchen isn't huge by any means. It's 12' on the kitchen side and 14' on the range side to the end of the fridge wall left of the cased opening. The entire length from window wall to the wall with the artwork in it across the room is 18'. The fireplace wall width is 17'. Our island is 4x7.

Hi Babs - can you tell us how far it is from:

1) the end side of your island (w. 2 chairs) to the wall with the art?

2) from range to the island?

3) from Dishwasher to island?

Thanks!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Oooh I love those pendants! And the rest of the kitchen too. :-) Great job.

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks lilymila and taggie!!

Pbx2,

1) from the end of the island to the wall with the art is 64".

2) the distance from the island to the range is 47". Distance from island to that counter is 50". The range extends 3" further than the countertop. It feels extremely spacious. I think we had a little more than 36" in our previous kitchen with a standard 30" range. We're using the drawer microwave a lot and standing in front of it and it's never crowded. We can open every appliance along that run and people can walk by at the same time. It's the perfect amount of space.

3) there's 42" of space counter to counter on the dishwasher side. It's also plenty. When the dishwasher door is all the way down, there's 18" of space left open. You can easily walk past. You can also fully extend the refrigerator drawers and have the dishwasher fully opened and have 3" between them and open and close the dishwasher.

We've had no pathway issues whatsoever and have had multiple people crossing paths throughout the kitchen/dining space on a daily basis. Hope that helps some!

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks again Babs711! - you are most gracious with your time!

We are similar with the spaces around our island too.

Some1 mentioned in another thread of mine to move the island & turn it into a peninsula.

But with your data & experience, we should have plenty of room to move around the kitchen island & not resort to such shenanigans LOL!

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm glad to help! I went and looked at your thread again and it seems like 46" is plenty of space. And it's sweet of you to say I'm your inspiration kitchen. That's a huge compliment! Thank you!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Wow, I'm just now seeing this!

Beautiful kitchen, Babs! Love everything about it, especially the counters and floors! They are stunning.

Couple of questions, one may be too difficult to answer, and if so, I completely understand. It's about your glass cabinets. Do you know how wide they are and how wide your doors are? My cabinet maker is thinking one door on a wider cabinet, and I love the look of yours with two!

Also, you may have mentioned it in another thread that I missed, but who did you order your counter stools from? They too, are gorgeous!!

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Hi babs711 - it's me - your kitchen stalker again ;)

What kind of hood is that you have?
    Is it a custom hood?
    Painted & build around somehow?

needless to say, it is amazing much like all the other components of your kitchen!

• babs711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Susied3! I'm sorry. I just saw your reply. My glass cabinets are all 24" wide. Each door is 12". I'm so glad we did two instead of one door. I prefer the look for our kitchen. The stools are from Ballard. We wanted backs and swivel which is apparently a tall order! Lol! Thank you so much for your sweet reply!!

Hey pbx2! The hood is from the cabinet company. The crown at the top is from the builder, painted to match. The actual vent is Kobe. Thanks again! Stop by any time!!

• JSpann
    10 years ago

I realize this is an "older" thread -- but I just had to say, babs, that I LOVE your kitchen. It is an inspiration kitchen for me as well. And, I just got excited because I discovered our preferred cabinet guy actually offers Eurdora cabs. It is great to be able to see the product in someone's home. A couple years into it, are you still pleased with your cabinets?
    Thanks for sharing your home with us!

• mattypies
    9 years ago

Love you kitchen! I am currently working on a floor plan that is very open with kitchen, dining and living all in a row similar to yours. My kitchen is 13'4" x12'11". I am concerned about the space between the island and the dining table as well as the dining table to sofa.

Could you please tell me if you have any pressure points when the dining area is in use? How big is the carpet under you dining table?

I would love it if you could weigh in on my thread!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0509041311534.html?17422

• abick2
    9 years ago

Babs711, how are your Eudora cabinets holding up?

• Katie K
    6 years ago

Would love to see pictures of this kitchen- they aren't showing up for me in the original post but sounds very similar to what I plan to do for mine. Can you repost here? Thanks!

• Amanda Rome
    6 years ago

I'm so glad to have found your kitchen on Pinterest - I was wanting to ask how you still enjoyed your kitchen countertops? I, too, have leathered black (Negresco) perimeter counters and White Macaubus islands with waterfall edges. Both were suppose to be leathered but the WM arrived polished and I'm debating whether to go ahead and have them leathered or keep them polished. I like my counters always looking clean sans finger prints and streaks. What do you suggest? Thank you.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living