Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regmoses

Help me finish my kitchen (dual post in decorating)

regmoses
9 years ago

I'm really bad at FINISHING rooms. I feel like most of my house is this pretty green (which I've grown tired of) and beige.
My kitchen is no exception to this horrible pattern I've developed. I'd like to replace my bar stools and get a rug for in front of the sink area. My thoughts go like this:
Red bar stools? Is that too much? Mustard yelllow? Just keep the stools black? Should I paint and get rid of the green? Maybe just add color in the rug and accessories?
I'd love to hear ideas from those who aren't allergic to color. My wish list:

1) Four bar stools - Most important to us are comfort and overall style/look.

2) Accessories/rugs - Bold color? Patterns too busy? What do I need to do to FINISH this room?

Thanks in advance! I love these forums.

Comments (5)

• regmoses
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It occurred to me I might need to clarify the colors in the pics. Also, I apologize for all the junk on that particular space of counter - it's my "landing spot" for everything.

Maple cabinets with a dark glaze. Olive green paint (very little necessary in my actual kitchen area). Multi-toned grey laminate counters. Cream subway backsplash, except the buffet section, which has black beadboard backsplash. Black trim and decorative pieces on cabinets. White trim, ceilings, and doors.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I am HORRIBLE with colors. I didn't used to think I was, but having just bought two gallons of paint that I'm pretty sure I won't use in my kitchen, I don't feel qualified to give that advice.

My thought would be, if you want to bring in color, find barstools and a rug that you like together that MAY work with the paint, and if they don't, then re-paint. :)

Can I ask an off-topic question? Your kitchen looks very comfortable and inviting. Do you know the dimensions of your kitchen, aisles, island, and overhangs? Today starts cabinet install and it looks like your kitchen might be roughly the same size. I'm sure we won't get to island placement/overhang size, but we should get there Mon or so. Maybe today! :) I had worked out where the island would be and how long of a potential overhang (mine will just be at one end) but working with an existing lighting/junction box may have me push it a few inches this way and that. Would you repeat yours as is?

Buy your accessories at some place with a generous return policy and play away! Also think about draping various colors of clothing on your barstool to test them. :)

• regmoses
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cal_quail, thanks for the response. I like your idea of draping clothing over the stools to "try on" colors. And yes, a store's return policy is my friend! I only wish I had a Hobby Lobby and Garden Ridge closer than an hour and half away!!!

My island is 6 feet by 3 feet with a 10 inch overhang on the 6 foot side and 12 inch overhang on the one 3 foot side.

Placement of the island is 4 feet from the cabinets on the bar stool side and three feet from the cabinets/kitchen sink side.

The island is four feet away from my stove area (which was a MUST!

The kitchen itself is 14 1/2 feet by 16 feet.

I was a bit worried about overcrowding in my kitchen, but it hasn't been an issue at all. I LOVE my island. I'm constantly using that counter space. I hope to upgrade to solid surface or granite someday, but when we did the remodel four years ago I couldn't stomach the $4,000 counter top price. Paying $1,000 for laminate was easier to swallow!

Hope this helps!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

My first thought looking at your kitchen, which is beautiful BTW) was to use turquoise and a deeper red.
    Maybe a patterned rug and then solid barstools that complement?

Check out the rug I posted below for color inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: burgundy and turquoise rug

• KAA15
    9 years ago

My thought was a rust or muddy red for the stools (with a low back) and a patterned rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug