Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawaps_gw

Design Around This #22: Hanging at the Beach House

cawaps
10 years ago

Okay folks, you've had about a week to mull over what a beach house kitchen should look like and to start to pull together a design. So let's start posting and giving and getting feedback!

If you can post pics (or figure out how to do so), you can do a design. And everyone is encouraged. The more people participate--both with designs and comments--the more fun it is.

For those of you who missed it, here's the thread we used to introduce the topic:
Background for Beach Houses
There are pics of beach house kitchens and some discussions of what elements say "beach house" to different people.

And here is a thread that will familiarize you with what the Design Around This threads are all about, along with some tips and tricks for putting together a mood board. It's not as complicated as you think!
About the Design Around This threads

Comments (86)

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

cawaps - (fisherman) - Love this. Really love the combination of navy and white and the stripes! I generally piece together bits and pieces from different kitchens, even if the colors don't quite match. But it is frustrating to spend time trying to find just the right image or color. I'm sure if I had Photoshop (and skills) I could magically apply the right color to the perfect image, but alas I do not have either (Photoshop or skills).

Thanks so much, cawaps, purplepansies, atkillery, and rosie! I only wish I could afford a real beach house, let alone one with an expensive kitchen. I am (sadly) no where near the beach.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Now for a more contemporary/modern design centered around this lovely palisandro bluette travertine for a countertop that reminded me of the stormy gray blues on the beach around a rainstorm. Natural wood cabinets in a simple shaker panel with reasonably priced stainless appliances. Pale gray limestone floor tile with another glass mosaic tile backsplash. Pale blue walls and some ocean-centric art (photo of stormy sea and a sea fan matted on a stormy gray blue mat). Modern cabinet pulls, faucet, counter stools, and sink.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Pricklypear: I absolutely love the first one you posted. The greens are just beautiful! Then, I saw your second one...also gorgeous. I really love the counter you used for that one!

I really love seeing all of these. One of these days, I may get brave enough to try it out myself :)

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Thank you, rkb21. You should definitely give it a try. I've been using olioboard, which is really easy to use. I haven't yet tried the more challenging perspectives like cawaps does, but collages are very simple.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie, I totally missed the stainless cabinets. I didn't read you description closely enough, and in the pic I mistook them for white (blame the resolution). Stainless is very cool.

Pricklypear, I love the gray-blues and the way you warmed them up with the wood cabinets. The light fixture is really striking.

Rkb21, yes, you should give it a try. Olioboard is pretty straightforward (and free).

• rosie
    10 years ago

Here's a different sort. We have an old wood-paneled mobile home on a canal just off the Sarasota Bay estuary. Don't want to paint white--our main house is that. So I was going to imagine a a VERY inexpensive redo for our currently 7x7 L-shape kitchen. Our place is in SPLOSH zone 1, which means the first baby hurricane that finally comes too close washes it away. The MH is about 4 feet about high tide these days, and every big storm with a little surge puts our patio under water. Don't want anything in there I wouldn't be willing to lose.

Unfortunately for sensible plans, while headed for Ikea for a vaguely Far East theme, I somehow accidentally came on the gorgeous Green Tea Designs line of cabinets. I'm pretending they would look right at home. :)

Oh, about us? We're long-time empty-nesters and go down for maybe 2 weeks to two months at a time, usually closer to the
    latter. In other words, when we're there it's home. I want to

1. Change my tiny L to a compact galley to get more work space.
    2. Change the tiny window hiding low under the uppers to a full-height window at the end of the galley so I have a real view of our canal while working.
    3. Minimal-to-no uppers. No need for mega storage. We keep it simple down there.

Greentea cabinets, lowers and one upper
    Dark-dark brown matte-finish solid surface counter and sink
    High-BTU drop-in gas stovetop
    Miyuza (kitchen cabinet) pantry against opposite wall for storage.
    Cork floor
    Egret teapot because there's often one strolling around our lawn waiting for DH to come home and clean fish.

• Linda
    10 years ago

pricklypear -- I adore your first kitchen, and it would be perfect for the bathroom I have planned (with sea glass green vessel sinks). Where/what kind of backsplash tiles are they??

Love everyone else's too. Sorry I haven't had a chance to comment more, or "play" this round, because I am in the midst of getting ready to move -- to the beach!! Well, fairly close, at least. Will definitely be posting more about it soon, and love all of your ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea glass sink

• eam44
    10 years ago

One of the great things about these threads is that you can choose anything you want without paying for it! My little place was at the intersection of dream (beach!!!) and reality (budget!!!). Thanks for your kind reviews. The other great thing about these threads is what participating in them teaches you about yourself (more below).

cawaps, the funny thing about those cabinets is that they were slab, and in my desire to impart a cottage-y look, I painted them to give them more of a stile/rail Shaker look. Now that I'm choosing cabs for my Ohio kitchen, I'm looking at slab again (full overlay though). You'd think I'd have a broader range than that. Apparently not. I love, love, love your fisherman's cottage.

prickly and purple, the beige/blue and green/driftwood combos are really beautiful. I especially like the green range.

sochi, what fabulous tile!

rosie, my cottage was in CT and the dark woods you are showing are everywhere in those homes. I kept it in the trim. Even though the dark doesn't say "beach" to me, it definitely did to CT Yankees.

Epiphany: I thought I disliked "wood" cabinets and only liked painted ones. This is untrue. At the beach I had a dark stained veneered wood and I brightened it up with paint. Now that I'm in OH and surrounded (read "smothered") by enormous green trees above a river valley, I want walnut cabs - not all of them, but at least one wall. Crazy, eh?

Before

After

credit: Jared Bartley
    http://myrockyriver.ning.com/photo/rocky-river-reflecitons

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

legallin - Thanks! The glass tiles are Hakatai Waterlily Calliope Glass Mosaic Tile. I don't recall what site I pulled the image from, but when I googled that phrase, I came up with numerous sites that seemed to sell it. Looks like it's made with 50% recycled glass, which is very cool. I hope the tile works out for you and I hope you'll share your bathroom when you're finished.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie, those are fabulous cabinets and about 180 degrees from where it looked like you were going with your story. True story? I imagine in real life you won't be putting such fabulous cabs in harms way, but it's nice to dream.

EAM44, a lot of people think that their tastes are fixed, and that they would always like, say, white cabinets no matter where they lived (or when). I haven't found that to be true at all for me. I like lots of different looks (which is why the DATs are so fun for me), and what seems right depends on a lot of things--location, setting, light, age of the home and style of the home. You are lucky to have had houses in such beautiful locations.

• rosie
    10 years ago

EAM44, what a lovely river! For me, geography has profound effects on what feels right in decor. and obviously you are feeling it too.

It's not spoken of much, but, although shadowy wood interiors aren't the most common and most stereotypical Florida look, they are a genuine Florida/Gulf style in old bungalows. It's the intersection of that cool, shadowy thing, I expect, which really does feel cooler compared to the glaring sunshine outside, and I'm guessing the masculine dominance of the Craftsman era.

Although overall I prefer at least most rooms light, one thing I do especially about my wood paneling is demonstrated well enough by my little board, and that's the way it enhances the views out. While white walls advance and compete with views, darker interiors usually set them off much better.

Came back for Cawaps. True story right up until I go screen "shopping" where everything's free. I started looking happily enough for inspiration for a Japanese or just generally east Asian look to carry out with Ikea, when I was seduced by first glance at Green Tea.

Ikea is reality for the kitchen I'll eventually put in, nice matte laminate for the counter. Wonderful for the money, but I wouldn't weep for it if it came to that. The layout and tall window very likely, although the window can't be so beautifully one piece if I'm to have breezes and bird squawks wafting in.

This post was edited by rosie on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 12:35

• cawaps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jan and Marty and their sond Jack, spend at least a few weeks each summer at their lake house. The house has cement floors throughout. When they redid the kitchen (on a budget), they went with Ikea Rubrik cabinets, green for the lowers and aluminum with frosted glass for the uppers, and an Avsikt roll front cabinet. The cabinet hardware is Hickory Hardware Midway white pulls. Playing off the gray of the cement floor, they chose Formica laminate in Tangle Smoke. The backsplash is a large format rectangular tile, Daltile Sublime in silver. The exhaust hood was another Ikea purchase (Luftig stainless hood). The range is a Maytag gas range in white.

They used BM Apples and Pears for the walls, and Pine Cone Hill hot house floral spring fabric from Layla Grace for curtains. Industrial metal chairs from Brookstone.com, an Oly studio Frank dining table, and a modern lime green drum pendant light from universal-lighting.co.uk finish off the dining area.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Chemo brain is in full effect this week. Forgive me if this totally misses the mark, but I wanted to try something different. Had trouble finding a table, but this gives the feeling I want I think.

Back story:

Daniel was obsessed with Cornwall England. The cliffs the sea, he felt it was the perfect writer's escape. He finally bought an old English cottage near the sea. The floors were rotted andwere replaced with vintage wide plank oak flooring from pave tile . The cottage had low sloped ceilings so to make the room seem bigger, Daniel decided on white wood paneling. As for appliances. Did he ever consider anything other than a black AGA? If so he couldnt remember. He paired that with a black smeg refrigerator. The dishwasher was hidden behind a face matching his antique white inset cabinets. The counter was practical- a simple gray concrete counter and sink. To offset the stark nature Daniel fixed the old beaten farm table the fisherman left behind. He painted the chairs and table a soft green. He played off that green for the pendants over the table as well as the side arm fixtures by the sink. The windows had an amazing view of the land, cliffs and ocean beyond.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roarah posted her design on the "Background" thread. Since she hasn't reposted it on this thread, I'm going to pull it over here for her.

From Roarah:

I am going to recycle a kitchen I used in the design around a non SGTG white kitchen.
    .My design is for a young couple in their late 20's. They just bought their first home in La Jolla, Ca. Small bungalow and they are on a budget. They DIY'ed their own stained concrete counters after seeing an add for a company that did it professionally. there was a learning curve so they practiced first. They used ikea for base cabs and have used all surfboard shelves instead of uppers. They repurposed an old dresser for an island and found galvanized steel pulls to use on the ikea cabs. They refinished all the homes flooring with a driftwood finish and they added a ceiling fan light fixture over island

Over sink light

Surfboards turned upside down for shelves.

Roarah's beach kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to thread with Roarah's original post

• cawaps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Schnauzer, I like your appropriate use of European appliances. The Aga cooker probably makes enormous sense in Cornwall's climate (coastal California, not so much). I love the green of the light fixtures and imagine the table would be painted to match.

Roarah, I like the rustic/industrial look in the right setting (your pulls, dining set, and ceiling fan) and think they work great in a casual beach cottage. Love the look of the surfboard shelves (but not sure of the functionality).

• sochi
    10 years ago

Schnauzer, I just love your Cornwall kitchen. I think you really nailed the look you were going for. The Aga, Smeg and flooring are just perfect.

Roarah, great colours. Haven't I seen those surfboard shelves before? Neat idea. I like the driftwood floor too.

Cawaps, sorry I'm so late getting back to the thread. I love Jeff and Janine's kitchen. That is what I first expected to see given the topic - beadboard, lots of navy and white or cream. And yes, I've had trouble with the wood range hoods too. It's a challenge. Your Miami kitchen is great too.

PricklyPear - I love the seagrass kitchen and prefer it to the modern one. The modern space may be too cool for me, but the blues are lovely. Love the light fixture.

Rosie, I swear I've been in your kitchen, but without the purple floor! It looks like a wonderful, laid back, comfy space.

Purplepansies, what a rug in the dining room! You're right about the counter being a perfect representation of water & sand.

Sorry I didn't put my kitchen in order with a clear lay out, I hurried it too much. I also used a Smeg when I shouldn't have and focused on the art too much. My only excuse is that I was captivated by the painting. And fridges in North America suck. :) I will try to keep reviewing some of the other kitchens posted.

Great work everyone!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

This is intended to be a monochromatic design based on the travertine floor and backsplash tile, and the vintage white Wedgewood range. Nearly everything is white: cabinets, Big Chill dishwasher and fridge, ceramic pulls and knobs, light fixtures. A little additional warmth is brought in with the travertine, butcherblock countertops, windsor-inspired chairs, seagrass rug, and some accessories.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pricklypear, effective use of a restricted palette. I like that you used inset white Shaker but ended up with something very different from the OTK.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

cawaps - (green ikea) - Wowza that's some color! Love the practicality and look of the cement floor, and the modern cottage look.

iheartgiantschnauzer - (English cottage) - I absolutely love this one. Very European cottage (in a good way). Love the black appliances and the green together.

Roarah - I like the industrial vibe here.

I'm absolutely loving this DAT topic and have several more in the works. (Once you do one design, it's hard to stop!) Hope I'm not overstaying my welcome with all these designs. I am really enjoying the variety of cottage designs and all the color!

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness! Prickly I love the turquoise range! If only I had the right beach shack for it! You've definitely saturated the room in color. The tile and pendant are great too. I think itstoo much for me with the cabinets, however for the right homeowner I think it'd be a smashing success!

The nearly all white kitchen is very nice. Just enough of curve ball with choices that it doesnt seem generic or overdone.

Cawaps- the ikea lake home. The floors are so practical. And budget friendly for the young couple. Nice choice. Your boards always seem so appropriate for the story. Does the ikea stainless cabinet show fingerprints everywhere?

• rosie
    10 years ago

That's a fun design, Pricklypear. It's playful. I'd enjoy staying there. I had an automatic orientation starting in of a "beach house" as a home that was on a coast, while most designs are for an alternative to home, a place to play. Now, your monochromatic design--I'd do that, and I'd live there. It makes me think of heading out for long walks along the shore. The turquoise makes me think of greasing up the kids and loading up the boat; it'd be grandkids now.

But for ultimate fantasy, Iheart's Cornwall cottage. I'm a cool-weather person, so coming in from a crisp windy walk to a good book and a kettle on an always toasty AGA sounds just about perfect.

Back to the real world, at least mine, it's 93 at our place in Florida right now, and we're heading down there in a few days. Fishing for him, reading in the shade and watching birds hunt on the canal when not estate-saling for me. The thought of our shady, paneled interior a pleasant contrast to the dazzling brightness outside.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I think I'm in love...with Pricklypear's turquoise range (I miss my old Wedgewood Holly). Nice cohesive 50's vibe with the appliances and cabinets. Love the color--not too much for me at all!

Schnauzer, I'm not sure about fingerprints on the stainless Ikea cab. I've played with the rolltop at the store and don't recall fingerprint issues, but I was mostly checking it out for the mechanics (Does it roll smoothly? Will it get stuck?), which seemed solid (or I probably wouldn't have used it here).

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Thanks cawaps. I think I remember seeing stainless bases? I was pondering those in the husbands domain where he'll spend hours building new wheels for his bike. It's messy and needs organization. Plus I think he could use a small dorm sized fridge outhouse there for drinks etc.. May have Togo to ikea this week.

Back to this board, I'm stuck on my latest idea. I'm trying to play around with the idea of a Greek isle inspired kitchen in the south.. But instead its somehow going very French! Maybe I'll finish it or go totally French.... We shall see

• sochi
    10 years ago

I love those colours pricklypear! What a great looking kitchen. Your monochrome looks fantastic too, but I'd chose turquoise still if I had the choice!

Looking forward to seeing the French/Greek space iheart. I still adore your Cornwall kitchen (although not the English weather)..

• rosie
    10 years ago

Looking forward to the evolution, Iheart. Ikea stainless does show prints, bad. First thing when I saw it, I walked up and with cautious hope stuck a finger at it, promptly dashed. Maybe some large handles to grab?

• purplepansies
    10 years ago

Sorry I've been absent, just back from the beach! :)

I have to say, however, that the kitchens on this thread are AWESOME compared to the tiny little thing that they called a kitchen in the cottage we rented!

May take me a while to catch up - but prickly, I love your monochromatic kitchen and LOVE the turquoise kitchen! That tile and range are fantastic, and while it may be a lot of color for some, it's right up my alley.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Hey guys. My apologies.. I think I salvaged the idea from too much French influence, however I got stuck and gave up when it came to paint and rugs. I'd appreciate suggestions For improvement thanks! I imagine many of her tools and salt and pepper mills etc would be made of olive wood... I don't know sorry I have so much going on right now that I am giving up . Feel free to tell me what I should have done differently.

On a trip to her local thrift shop, Lena found herself staring at the royal daulton china in Atlanta pattern. The cobalt blue instantly made her miss her annual summer trips to her grandparents in Diafani. Suddenly it hit her, the kitchen in their Mediterranean style home in tarpon springs fl would soon take a decidedly Greek twist! She bought the china and her kitchen journey began. Months later her kitchen looked like this:

The tiles from a local artist reminded her of all the talismans she saw around the Mediterranean toward off the evil eye. Then came the blue grand papa 180 from la cornue followed by the la cornue cabinetry and refrigerator. Perhaps a little off and not Greek, but she was in love. So she went with it. Thankfully the flooring in all public areas of her beach home worked with the greek theme. Her tile floor was a terra-cotta hex from luxury style.es. The island Is another controversial risk. She decided to paint the old island in terracotta from BM. She topped it with vetrazzo skyy cobalt. From the island while prepping she looked directly out to their pool and deep water dock. In the adjacent breakfast room she chose the all blue pendant from lamps plus. It was centered over a round hammered table with chairs upholstered in a Greek key fabric. However she has now turned to garden web looking for help on the paint color for the wall of kitchen and breakfast room.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Such a treat to be able to stroll through these beach house kitchens. Thank you to everyone who worked hard. I have been AWOL from this forum for a while (why does real life get in the way of our internet life, sometimes?) but was delighted to wander back and see another DAT thread in progress.

Mrs. Mortarmixer, I'm glad you added the link for those scalloped tiles. I agree with everyone else, they are a wonderful find. I had no idea anyone made ovens with round (porthole) windows!

Cawaps, I loved the choice of sailing cleats for the hardware, in the Shapiro sailors home. But I think Marcia's choices of clean bright colors and big art would get my vote for a sense of really being "away from it all" at the beach. The Eiffel dining chairs would be a smart choice for wet bathing suits and sand. I think the backsplash tiles are a good choice because the common 4x4 size is kind of calm, and the dark burgundy color makes the backsplash function as a dark anchoring background, in a room with a lot of "life" in the other materials.

Cawaps again, I thought the Jeff and Jeanine story was interesting here, with Jeanine trying to "mirror" Jeff's passion for fishing. The room reads to me as one done by someone who is trying for the retail version of the nautical look, crisp and bold. So the story fits perfectly; Jeanine probably doesn't like to get beach sand in her underwear, much, and prefers Sperry topsiders to flip flops. I am happy that she chose the Fish Naked posters, because that tells me she does have a fun side that she needs to let out more. :-)

Iheartgiantschnauzer, in your first kitchen, I really liked the casual feel of the gray driftwood tile floors, along with the casual and friendly look of the big farm table. I can just see a big family piled around that table, with sandy feet. Open shelves seem to fit a beach home to me too (I'd load 'em up with fun unbreakable plastic dinnerware.)

EAM44, wonderful that you've had real life experience to draw from, living in a beach house. I really loved what you did with the faux shaker look cabinets, creating it with paint, and reversing the colors on upper and lowers. Really creative because it gives that classic look a very clear sense of fun, to me. Non-serious. I've never had the pleasure of a beach house, but relaxation and fun, in my mind, are top of the list. And your comment about these threads is right on target: "One of the great things about these threads is that you can choose anything you want without paying for it!" I played in some of these DAT threads previously, and that very element was so freeing for me!

Purplepansies, I think your beach house has a more elegant, luxurious feel. This is the one I'd rent if I wanted a quiet week to pamper myself, without any kids waving jelly sandwiches. I liked the open weave, roughish texture of the bench and stool, in contrast to the soft plush feel of the starfish rug.

Rosie, I enjoyed your back story. As much as I hate to see Christine dealing with the stress of threatened nose rings, I actually rather like the *pow* impact of the floor color. I think you have a really interesting contrast going on here, with the story and the materials. Sinking into that lovely chair (which looks old and comfy) with favorite old cookbooks, in contrast to the jarring impact of a rebellious teen plunked into the middle of your life. Then there's the impact of an intense big field of purple on the floor, in contrast to the soft, time-worn textures and soft sandy colors in the rest of the room. Doubly fun.

Rosie again, it must be wonderful to have a place to escape to, on the Sarasota Bay estuary. Those cabinets immediately transported me to an exotic beach in another country, which is interesting, because reading through this thread, I only pictured US beaches, for some reason. So your choices expanded my horizons, and I liked the mental adjustment. We vacationed a few years ago on Dauphin Island, off the Alabama coast, and it was truly a different world from our dusty desert environment. I was mesmerized by all the terrific water birds, I love how they move so slowly, with purpose, through the shallows.

Sochi, as always, I like your way of choosing strong simple lines, clear shapes. In this room I like how those are somewhat softened by the pastel colors you chose. Love the single yellow "sun" lamp blazing away over the bare-wood-look floor, perfect note, and the kind of "right" accent that is always so hard for me to figure out.

Pricklypearcactus, sea green is right up there with my favorites so you had me at the Viking. I thought the backsplash tiles worked well with it, and I liked how the curvy lines of your table legs were echoed by the curvy lines of the seahorses and other natural materials you chose. I think the faux coral chandelier, viewed full size in real life, would be the show stealer of the room. Very pretty room.

Also, your second room with the blue travertine counters does indeed bring to mind the feel of a stormy, overcast beach. I think the hard, square lines work well together, but I keep looking for the contrast of a soft textured rug, somehow. I think it's because you've done such a good job of pulling materials together that remind me of the cold windy beach walk, I am looking for some comfort! But I agree with Cawaps, the wood cabinets really do warm it all up, and in real life that wood color would have a big effect on the overall room.

Roarah, I really like the materials you gathered for your kitchen. To be honest I had to make myself really focus, though, because once I saw those galvanized metal cabinet pulls I could not get them out of my mind, as they fit some ideas I'm working on for my own kitchen. They are so honest and unpretentious. I may try to find something similar and play with that idea. Really liked the combo of concrete countertops with that edgy, hard-lined set of table and chairs. Wish I'd been able to decorate like this when I was in my 20's, as your couple did.

Oh dear, I hope to be able to come back and enjoy the rest of the rooms on this thread, ran out of time tonight! Wonderful work, all. Such fun to read through and enjoy. Thank you.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Luke and Stacy just bought a new place in Santa Cruz.Both we're native Californians and avid surfers. Yet they somehow had spent the last decade living in the Midwestern city. They lovingly referred to it as their "surf shack". It was a drastic difference from the high rise loft they just sold in Chicago. The shavk had been neglected in the last 20 -30 years. They were estatic to be returning home, but the huse needed help. The only thing justifying the price was the location. , They could tell the conditions of the surf before even stepping out of bed.

The kitchen like everything else needed a major overhaul. They decided to start there. Jokingly Luke suggested they needed to "bear down" the kitchen. They both had become nutty Bears fans in the years since college. Stacy decided to wink at the notion and embrace the navy and orange but infuse it into a turquoise room with white cabinetry. It was bold funky and perfect for the young couple. She ran with the inspiration and the kitchen ended up looking like this:

Details:

Paint: SW nifty turquoise
    Floors: Amtico sheet casual concrete that they carried in from the other r
    living spaces
    Backsplash: wave tile from modular arts
    Counter tops: denim paperstone
    Sink: drop in swanstone
    Abstrakt Cabinets and handles from ikea
    Saarinen table and orange eames chairs from room and board
    Orange suite of appliances from Big chill
    Rug from kaypeesoh
    Light: caboche flush mount from lumens.com

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 11:16

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Oh I can sooo do this. It's a little bit um, unfair, I guess. I LIVE in a "beach house" (cottage on the shore of Lake Ontario). While beach house means different things if you picture a tropical beach or a stony one like mine to me it's all about vintage! Cottages/beach houses usually included "cast offs" from the main house, so things would be older and more worn.

Edited to make a story...ha...not to hard...

This couple dreamed of buying a place on the lake, spending YEARS searching while living in a small city home that they remodeled into a cabin. When they finally found their little 700 sq ft gem on the lakeshore it needed a LOT of work, but it had good bones and the kitchen wasn't in need of too much. They set to work, replacing an ugly back splash with faux brick to compliment the era and style of the cottage. A little paint and the old windows looked great, no reason to replace them, they fit right in at a cottage! They stripped the floors back to the original wood and coated it with linseed oil. She found her "dream stove" a 30" 1950's Floyd Wells Bengal complete with a match lit oven prompting her to search out a vintage match safe. Next came a 1950's Norge Customatic fridge, straight from the basement of the original owners. Of course, there was little counter space, but they enjoy cooking and baking, especially in the winter, so she also found a nice old Kitchenaid 4c mixer and a juicer to match. Then somehow a milkshake maker in Jadite green was added. Because they DO live at the beach, they added a lighthouse soap dispenser to the lovely old "farmhouse" sink which still sits on it's original metal cabinet base. A garage sale led them to find a fun linen calender with a nautical theme from the 1970's which hangs on the wall by the stove along with several cast iron pans and a unique "key holder" made from wood salvaged from an old boat (The Canadiana if anyone knows it), from which they hung cottage keys (bottle openers) and old measuring spoons. They enjoy vintage so they visited a local estate sale where they found an old "cap catcher" to add to the decor, along with some Ovenex bakeware, and old kitchen scale and some hanging ships lanterns (reproductions, but they don't tell people that, shhh). At Christmas time, a Sailor Santa even comes along to enjoy the lake as part of the nautical decor!

So, here's my kitchen, with it's vintage appliances, cabinets and sink, faux brick backsplash and tile counters and my "gem", a "farmhouse" sink:

Of course it must have cast iron too lol.

Also, this:

This post was edited by eclecticcottage on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 12:19

• cawaps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Schnauzer, I love the wave motif in the tile and rug (it totally works for your surfers), and the colors are striking. I would like to see the blue of the counters pulled in somewhere else in the kitchen, though.

Eclecticcottage, you are so right about the cast-offs, and that's something I missed in my own designs. How old is that refrigerator? 1950s? My aunt and uncle had a 1949 fridge (bought when they married) that finally conked out a couple years ago, and we finally replaced my mom's 1960 fridge last year so that she could have a real freezer compartment (the old one had an icebox that kept things right at 32 degrees) since the trek down to the basement to the stand-alone freezer was getting to be too much for her. It's amazing how long the old appliances last.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Cawaps- good point. The counter was literal interpretation of the navy in Chicago bears... I had been trying to find a better floor maybe a Lino or amtico that had some really faint navy navy stands in it... But I gave up too early, I think. Can I cop out and say they had two surfboards propped in the corner one white white turquoise and navy striped down the center. The other a light blue with orange and navy stripes oh and the stoneware dishes on floating shelves near the table were navy ;)

Eclectic - You added a story, nice touch. I agree cast offs and vintage have a place in many beach side retreats. My last 2 designs (greek and surf) I tried to go the route of full time residences. I also tried to make everything off the shelf this go around..

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 12:49

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

I haven't been able to get an exact date on my fridge, it's a 1950's era though. We actually bought it from the daughter of the original owners, who had bought her parent's home. Sometime in the 1980's they bought new appliances and the fridge and matching stove moved to the basement for holiday use. We had already bought my Floyd Wells stove, and theirs was both electric and too wide for our space, so we didn't bring the fridge's friend with us, lol. I paid $100 for that fridge. I also have an old Philco fridge that we originally bought to use but it's hanging out in our shed now, because I found the Norge about a week later and figured it would work WAY better since it has a "real" freezer rather than just the little one inside the fridge like the Philco does. We were going to sell the Philco, but I've decided to use it for storage and then if something happens to the compressor on the Norge I hopefully can swap it out. I NEVER EVER want to go back to a modern firdge again, even if I have to defrost the freezer every so often. It's sooo much quieter when it runs than the new ones.

Oh, and it doesn't take any more electric than the 2002ish Energy Star Kenmore it replaced.

I'll also mention everything in ours is completely real life liveable, as that kitchen exists in our full time home and we use it every day :)

This post was edited by eclecticcottage on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 13:17

• rosie
    10 years ago

Love your "back story," Eclectic. :) And I love what you've done with your kitchen (i.e., treasured it), including the old wood. Don't know why it is, but for me the best beach houses are old, weather worn cottages, barefoot homes. The big glossy architect-designed versions are a delight to visit, but have never figured in my dreams.

Iheart, very believable kitchen. I can see definitely people like that doing a playfully sophisticated, energetic, easy-clean version like that. BTW, I would seriously put that orange stove in my house in a heartbeat if I could, even though I already have a white 1940s Wedgewood. If I'd seen it first, I might even have forced it on poor Christine. My purple and orange beach flower inspiration come to life.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Poor Christine... Think she could have handled that too? Or maybe she would have went with one of the custom lavender colors...

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Rosie, who's in her 50s, suddenly finds herself divorced after 30 years of marriage. After the initial shock, she decides to ditch the city penthouse with the ultra-modern kitchen and move to a small cottage overlooking a cove.

Her inspiration for her kitchen reno is an old oil painting of a shell by her high school sweet heart, both dismissed as "crude and tasteless" by her avantgarde architect husband.

Floor: Wide-plank Douglas Fir
    Appliances: Big Chill
    Lower cabinets: pink to match the appliances
    Upper shelves: weathered Douglas Fir
    Walls: BM Chantilly Lace
    BS: Mother-of-Pearl
    Pendants: Venus Lapiz
    Stools: Pietro Arosio
    Counter: Onyx "Surf Tide"

She's planning on accessorizing with blue and white.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 14:57

• cawaps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom, the mother-of-pearl is so pretty with the pink. When I first looked at your design, I thought that all that pink would be overwhelming. But I think with the doug fir shelves instead of (pink) uppers, and keeping most of the material at eye level neutral, that the overall look would be pretty balanced. Have you seen the Design Around This Pink Kitchens threads?
    Design Around This #11: Pink for the Present Day
    Design around this, pink, part 2

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Cawaps, no, I hadn't seen that pink kitchen design thread.

It would kind of look like this:

• rosie
    10 years ago

Oh, Nosoccermom, too funny! I confess I've wondered a few times what I might do in that situation/freedom, and you pretty much have me pegged with the little cottage off on a chillly foggy coast. On the phone demanding my kids spend their vacations up there, no doubt.

The rest? My son's MIL's life--right down to the architect husband, living in homes featured in Architectural Digest, and a stunning transition to a whole new her.

The kitchen? Wonderful. The way you've related inside to the natural world outside in an unexpected, eclectic mix is delightful--and without rejecting the modern world (any cove I could afford to overlook would probably be a day trip from the nearest supermarket). I would absolutely use my freedom to go just feminine as I liked.

Shell pink was actually one of my favorite colors in the big 72 box of crayons. Which makes me think of decorating with that beautiful color. This cozy sitting room could be right through the door. Just imagine sheets of rain blowing sideways outside that window. :)

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I created this design for a rustic modern beach house in the Pacific Northwest. The flagstone floors and countertops are bluestone. The natural cherry slab cabinets seemed to work well with rustic modern ceiling beams and wood ceiling. I picked dark blue Viking appliances and mosaic tile backsplash that seemed to evoke a dramatic dark blue. Stainless pulls, sink and stools with dark blue industrial light fixtures top off the modern rustic look.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

@Rosie,
    I love your living/sitting room!
    @prickly: I love the mix of the dark navy, gray, SS, and natural cherry.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I found this fish fossil tile and it seemed perfect for a beach house kitchen backsplash. I decided to go with stunning Azul Macaubus countertops and white full overlay shaker cabinets. I decided this would be a great application of white appliances. I used wood look tile again, since I imagine it would hold up well to sand. Simple cabinet hardware and light blue pendant lighting. And a kitchen table with blue tolix chairs on a blue and white rug.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pricklypear, you are singlehandedly keeping this thread alive. I like your Pacific Northwest design aesthetically, but from what I've gleaned from my Seattle friends and family, I'd worry that the blues and grays would be depressing in the long wet winters, even with the wood to warm it up. The backsplash is beautiful and pairs well with the bluestone.

I love the fish fossil tile. All the blues in this one seem to work really well together, even though they are all slightly different. The granite is beautiful. And more white appliances! I didn't see many stainless appliances in this thread--lots of white and colors. Does stainless not say "beach"?

Do you still have some more in the works, or should we start a discussion about starting up a new topic?

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Thanks cawaps and nosoccermom. I agree that white appliances just seem right for a beach house kitchen. Maybe because they have a more traditional/homey feel than stainless?

nosoccermom - I really like the MOP backsplash with the pink and fir. I agree this would be a great design for the pink DAT as well.

I'm ready to move on to another topic if everyone else is.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

pricklypear: I LOVE all of the designs that you do...just when I think you've done something that's just beautiful, you surprise me with another that's just even more fabulous.

nosoccermom: I love the backsplash and the light fixture that you chose for your colorful, fun, pink kitchen :)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Actually, I'm not into pink at all.
    I just love any kinds of blues, greys, turquoise, so love all of prickly's designs, usually the last one the best :)

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, rkb21 and nosoccermom! You guys are so kind. I have really enjoyed the DAT threads. I love the idea of designing kitchens and my head is always exploding with ideas, but I only have one house and a budget that doesn't allow for as much designing and remodelling as I would love to do. I love that the DAT topics help me think about designs for styles, architectures, regions, etc that I will probably never have a chance to experience. The probability of purchasing a beach house in my lifetime is probably pretty slim, but I love the idea.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

pricklypear: Wow! I thought you were a designer based on your fabulous designs. I should hire you out...you have a great eye for design!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Jan and Jane bought a small beach house overlooking the Atlantic. Jan insists on incorporating some old Delft tiles to pay hommage to the city where he studied engineering. Jane was hoping for a more contemporary design, but since Jan usually voices no design preference, she decides to work around the tiles. Budget is definitely an issue, so she finds an old gas range on CL and some old salvaged bricks for the floor.
    Cabinets and shelves: IKEA Norje rustic oak)
    Counters: White laminate
    Sink: IKEA
    Lamps: Handmade with rope and wallpaper paste wrapped around inflated balloon.
    Appliances: white, including the gas range
    Table: IKEA painted blue
    Rug: Painted floor cloth
    Window: Traditional Dutch crocheted valance
    Knobs/handles: Not decided yet